Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

Jul'EYE' Candy

dmichael619
13 years ago

I can't believe it's July 1st already. Where has the time gone!!! In 6 weeks the kids will be back in school here and summer will be over. A little over twelve weeks from then,i'll have to start keeping an eye on the temps as we run the risk of getting frost in late October but that doesn't happen often,thank goodness. Okay now to get your mind off of all the horrible thoughts of winter being just around the corner here are some pretty things to look at!!!!

ENJOY!!!!! By the way all of these were taken today!!

This first hoya came to me labeled just as hoya acuta "Borneo" It's the only form of acuta that I grow with pretty much all white flowers.

next is a dainty little hoya and is one of my favorites for it's foliage.this is H. kanyukariana. I love that dark purple corona against those snow white fuzzy little flowers!!!

this is H. cinnimomifolia and is a fave of mine because of the flower color. Apple green with a brick red corona!!!

next is lacunosa "Tove" with it's highly fragrnat cotton candy pink blooms!!This plant is covered in flowers right now!

this is hoya incrassata. This hoya grows so fast you can almost see it moving!!! The flower clusters often open up into a perfect ball (this one didn't) and are highly fragrant with a sweet spicy aroma. I have counted over 60 flowers in a single cluster on this plant

I don't really know much about this hoya other than the fact that I purchased it from Ted Green labeled as hoya bicolor.The flowers are very similar in appearance to those in the finlaysonii clan but the shiny leaves are large,smooth and rounded

Finally I got a half way decent picture of pubicalyx "Royal Hawaiin Purple"

and today the entire cluster of buds on cv. Optimistic has finally all opened!! The first flower to open which is a single on another peduncle,is still open and it's now been over a week.

heuschkeliana "pink form"

this is a hybrid that I bought from Ted Green a few years ago (meredithii X crassicaulis)love the leaves and the flowers which are quite tiny in comparison to the leaves.

and last but certainly not least is H. cv. Joy

Comments (15)

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful, David! I love them all! I recently received cv. Joy in a trade. Now, I can't wait for it to root, grow and BLOOM!!!!

Thank you, again, for sharing your wonderful pictures!

Carolyn

• AndrewH
    13 years ago

They're all beautiful, but Optimistic and pubicalyx "Royal Hawaiin Purple" are incredibly stunning!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Your Hoya kanyakumariana looks so full and lush. My plant looks like it has been hanging out on a wind swept cliff. LOL
    The tiny blooms are very cute.
    All beautiful flowers but I seem drawn to the soft colours of the cv Joy blooms. It's always a pleasure to see your photos.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Ahhh...just BEAUTIFUL David!! I'm really starting to like those blooms on the eriostemma's plus yellow is one of my favorite colors...so very pretty. I have meredithi x crassicaulis from Gardino's but this past brutal winter we had damaged most of the plant...I'm still hoping its going to recover? I have a tiny 2" pot of kanyakumariana, so I agree with Mike...yours is HUGE!!

Thanks for the eye candy.

• patrick51
    13 years ago

David, WOW!!...absolutely awe-inspiring blooms! I love H. kanyakumariana...one of my top 10 favorites. The blooms on your RHP are enough to take my breath away...just stunning blooms on all of your hoyas. Thanks so much for sharing! Fondly, Patrick

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike and Pug i'll have to get a pic of the entire kanyakumariana plant to show you. It's finally starting to recover from where I butchered it to share cuttings last year. Seems like every trade I did last year this was one that they all wanted and I cut the plant rather hard. It's currently on the "do not cut list" !!!!!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I certainly enjoy seeing all the hoyas bloom,I went for several years only having one or two here and there blooming. I have found that by moving them outside where they get plenty of rain and fresh air has made a world of difference in how well they bloom now.

• abigail1280
    13 years ago

They're so beautiful, I can't even tell you which one is my favorite! I so can't wait for my own hoyas to bloom one day..

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I LOVE those meredithii x crassicaulis leaves! And the blooms are cute too. I can't wait until something besides my speckled lacunosa and my wayetti bloom... but I am happy they have bloomed for me. Well, wayetti actually hasn't stopped blooming. It's like the Energizer bunny.

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

David, you're having great luck with your hoyas! Congrats on all the blooms! Mine refuse to bloom for me, except lacunosa, which is in blooming mode right now (it bloomed and it's covered in buds).

I love all the flowers but I'm with Quinn about the leaves on your meredithii x crassiculis. I'm not much for growing for foilage, but wow! I really love the Royal Hawaiian Purple flowers (now I know what to look forward to with your cuttings)!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Here's a few of mine blooming now to share.
    H.diversifolia...first time every...FINALLY!! Yay!!

'Chimera' RHP buds first time too...

Opened...

Mathilde

"ripple leaf' finlaysonii

Bordenii

Not a hoya...but my MOST favorite fruits in the world! Mango tree's very first fruits since planted 3 years ago. Saved by the freeze this winter.

Caged, trying to keep predators out, plus Max...my guard dog :o)

Thanks for looking!

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wow, lots of great blooms! Since putting many of my hoyas outside they're really starting to put on growth...keeping my fingers crossed for new bloomers this year!

Kelly

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very nice Pug!!! How long have you been waiting for the diversifolia to bloom???? It only took mine about 6 years!!!! maybe a little longer.Damn thing grows like a weed but getting it to bloom is the tricky part!! I have a second clone with smaller leaves that I got at the same time as the large leaf one and the second one still has not bloomed.

I like the mango tree,did you start it from seed or buy a tree??

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Thanks Kelly and David!

Kelly, they really do seem to love it outdoors, nothing like some fresh air, a little sun and rain that kicks them in gear.

David, I received a couple of cuttings of diversifolia in Nov. '08...so I've had it less than two years. Like you said...it grew quickly but wouldn't bloom. I get impatient sometimes when a hoya looks big/mature enough to bloom and won't,lol...Patience has never been a virtue I've been blessed with.

My mango is a grafted tree that was purchased in a 5 gallon pot. BTW, its a semi-dwarf. It's only around 5ft or so tall right now...I'm planning on keeping it under 10ft for easy winter protection and fruit picking.

David, I think you need to get a mango tree...you can keep in your greenhouse(with your hoyas) in the winter,lol...

Here's a picture shortly after I planted it 3yrs ago.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pug you read my mind,because that was my intention,although I don't want to plant one from seed and not live long enough to see it fruit!!! Often times when fruit/nuts are grown from seed it takes a lifetime for them to bear.

I also thought about getting anothe rplumeria now that I have room to keep a large one but I find them to be mite magnets if you're not careful!!

David