Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alba_gardener

Fed UP With Bella !!!

alba_gardener
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I've posted about my hoya Bella Lancellota before and this time I have had it!!! She was dying last year, but decided to come back from the dead. So now I'm thinking great, now I know what she needs to keep her alive...She is long and spindly looking but she bloomed profusely this spring. Then she started dropping leaves, problem, mealies, ok I spray and keep and eye on her for any future bugs....then her leaves started turning yellow and dropping like crazy....So I went crazy too and cut off all of her long barren stems and told her that I just didn't care anymore and put her in quiet spot with filtered sun.

I decide to put the stems in water instead of throwing them out....Just checked on the stems this evening ( in water) and I see ROOTS!!!! What should I do??? I mean, I know I should pot them, but is there a special soil mix that Bella prefers unlike the other hoyas....??? Can anyone help me with some hoya bella wisdom???? Any advice will be greatfully appreciated before I resort to taking MEDS!

alba in Hawthorne,CA

Comments (10)

• ladygreensleeves
    13 years ago

Bella is a tricky one alright.....I rooted some in moss that sit in a shallow tray. I water very sparingly from the top and add more water to the tray allowing it to be wicked up from the bottom. I then allowed it to dry out before watering it again. Since it prefers cooler temps it and the mother plant live in a kitchen window, where they get a shaded northern exposure.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I can't grow bella because it is a mite magnet and once the summer heat comes the plant really seems to suffer. Constantly fighting pests and trying to baby a plant that is obviously languishing has convinced me to give up on this Hoya. I think that stress from being grown too dry is a major reason for my failure with this species but if you have not had that problem then I would suggest checking for mites by wiping the back of the leaves with a tissue and looking for a reddish smear.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

I grew plain bella for a few years and had trouble with it. It would go along great for awhile, then it would drop leaves like you describe. I gave up on it because, for me, it was a real mealy magnet. Last fall, I got a lanceolata ssp bella. I have it in the same mix I use for all my Hoyas. It's grown a little - nothing to write home about. I'm just feeling lucky that it's not faltering (knock on wood...) I have mine on a shelf in my sunroom (where it stays relatively cool), and it gets some dappled morning sun but mostly relfected sun the rest of the day. This version of bella seems a lot more delicate than the plain green form, so I don't know how long it will last for me. I just don't seem to have great success with the delicate or small leaved species, though I keep on tryin'!

Denise in Omaha

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Alba,
    have you ever tried growing your Hoyas in Orchid Bark?
    Give it a try....doesn't sound like you have anything to lose...and it might save you a headache.

Although California is hot and dry, I don't take my chances with bagged potting soils or peat-moss.
    If I need more moisture, I simply use a larger container of the same mix...or else I water more often.

To prevent pests in your bark mix, pour boiling water into the mix before you use it.

Josh

• Denise
    13 years ago

Josh,

That's a good suggestion. I grow some that have been difficult in semi-hydro and they do well. I bet orchid bark would do well, too.

Denise in Omaha

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Wish I could help you. I grow both "Luis Bois" and the regular bella with no issues, but I think it's pure luck. I try to remember to not let them dry out too much and both are in southern windows that have sheer curtains on them. One is in the original EA mix and the other is in a mix of bark, perlite and peat. Do have one stem in semi-hydro - it's been in it for a year and does fine, too. No special treatment.

Wish you the best with it!
    Kelly

• alba_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions on what to do with Bella.
    Ladygreensleeves, your right about bella liking cooler temps. A few years ago when I went on vacation I left all of the plants outside under a tent and all of my hoyas loved it especially Bella who was on her last leg when I left, but when I got home she had recovered.

Mike, I checked for mites as you suggested and it's not mites. Thanks.

Denise, I guess this particular hoya is just fussy. I just really wish she wasn't so fussy as she has the prettiest flowers and is truly a beautiful plant.

Josh, wow, I never considered orchid mix or did you mean plain bark? If it's bark, how do you keep the roots anchored down? I have some orchids, so I do have orchid bark and orchid mix. Which should I use or are both okay?

Kelly, how lucky you are to be able to grow bella with no problem. Do yours bloom often? I have a bella variegated that I got from Gardinos two years ago and she is doing well. She hasn't grown much since I got her (6") and she's still 6" with just a few more leaves. She's sitting in a southern facing window, with an open window and dappled sunlight....seems to be doing fine. But this other bella is a real challenge.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and for your suggestions. I am going to experiment and put a bunch of stems in bark (or bark mix) and another bunch in a hoya mix and see what happens.... As Josh said, "I've go nothing to lose."
    alba in hawthorne,Ca

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey!
    I use Orchid Bark by itself, but I think Orchid Mix would be okay, too.
    I would start with some Orchid Bark, then add a small amount of the Orchid Mix.
    This should provide the durability, drainage, and moisture retention you need.
    Believe me, Hoya roots have no problem finding purchase in a bark-based medium!

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I think this is similar to what Josh uses...its smaller in size that the Orchid Bark .Good luck with your bella! This and Serpens are a couple of my picky and temperamental hoyas.

I get mine at a nursery and sift the "fines" so it doesn't retain too much moisture before I use it.
    {{gwi:598490}}

• beachplant
    13 years ago

I bought Bella from a Vietnamese nursery in Houston. It's planted in what appears to be african violet mix. I've never repotted it but plan to this week, it's been in the same pot for 2 years. It hangs under a vitex tree and gets bright light but no direct sun. Fed with fish emulsion a few times a year.

I've found this to be one of my best bloomers but not always the best looking plant. It does like to drop leaves like crazy resulting in long stems, but then it will grow new leaves almost as fast and send out branches from the stems getting fuller. Doesn't attract aphids at the rate of the others, not bothered by white fly. Mites aren't a huge problem in my garden as a rule. I've also noticed it roots really easily, rooting itself in it's pot like crazy.

Maybe more humidity is the clue? Our humidity is rarely less than 80%. It's really hot here and that doesn't seem to bother it, it's in full bloom right now.
    Good luck with it!
    Tally HO!

Sponsored