Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

July 2011 hoya flower show!!!!

dmichael619
12 years ago

I've got some exciting new pics to share with you all. These were all taken today. I should have some first timers open any day now and one in particular I absolutely can't wait to see and GG knows which one i'm talking about!!! The buds are ready to pop!!!!

Up first is cv. Optimistic which is in the eriostemma section of hoyas. I have found these particular hoyas to be rather fast and easy growers but difficult to bring into bloom. I have had several of them for over 8 years now with no flowers.They prefer to grow in very bright light to direct sun and do not like being moved around at all. I think this one has only been able to come into bloom because of where it's situated in the gh it gets direct sunlight most of the day where as the other eriostetmmas I grow do not.This particular plant currently has about a dozen peduncles on it with open flowers.

H. kerrii

H. acuta "Borneo" I don't really know much about this one other than I won it on Ebay a few years ago and the person I got it form didn't know much about it's history either. It has snow white flower and these are just starting to open.

H. lobbii (orange flowering clone)

H. micrantha

H. heuschkeliana (yellow) if you love the smell of hot buttered popcorn and you do not grow this hoya, GET IT!!!! It smells exactly like a big bucket of buttered movie theater popcorn!!!

H. DS-70

H.NOID from Paul Shirley. I lost the tag with the ID number for this a few years ago and have no idea what it is.

H. obovata

The next 2 shots are of H. sp. Estrella Waterfall IML 1256. And yes the flowers really are THAT apple green!!! And they have a scent that is to die for!!!

H.diversifolia ssp. El-nidicus

H. graveolens.This one is making it's debut here!!! I probably got this hoya in one of my very first ever hoya trades at least 8 1/2 to 9 years ago. It grows like a weed and formed it's first set of peduncles about 3 years ago and even though they remain on the plant to this day they have never produced any buds. these flowers have opened on new growth from this season.

And to close out the show is H. aff cardiophylla in the process of beginning to close.

Comments (38)

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Fantastic, David! I can't wait to see pics of the super secret special hoya that is ABOUT to bloom! ;) hehehe

sp. Estrella Waterfall is LOVELY!

H. kanyakumariana's little buds opened, today! So excited! And they smell so fresh!

I know . . . lots of !!!!! But I'm just soooooooooo excited, today!

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carolyn,

I can almost tell just from the outside color of the buds that they are not going to be the color that they are described as being in the catalog which is going to be a MAJOR disappointment if they aren't. This is one of those hoyas that I have waited a VERY long time to see bloom!!

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

David, thank you so much for sharing! It's nice to look at these flowers as my plants are still flowerless lol. I am REALLY happy to finally see the blooms on Estrella Waterfall! That will have to go on my wishlist! Congrats on your first timers! I can't wait to see those too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

I always look forward to seeing your photos! Keep em coming! Beautiful shots David!!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

David those are all beautiful and well photographed but a few definitely stand out. The Eriostemma is very impressive and by the sound of it, with all those peduncles even more so in person.
    Your NOID from Paul Shirley is a very special Hoya, well at least in my opinion. LOL This species has been sent out as Hoya brevialata GPS 8836 and although it is still listed in the catalog I have yet to take the chance of ordering and getting another cutting of brevialata. The NOID's flowers are remarkable with their slender dimensions and quite unlike any other Hoya flower in that regard. I think I am going to just have to chance ordering GPS 8836 because I would just love to grow that unnamed species.

Hoya sp Estrella Waterfall is another outstanding species and I can't wait to smell those blooms for myself!
    I am surprised to hear that your Hoya graveolens has taken so long to bloom. My plant is just starting to settle in and put on some new growth and I had hoped it would flower soon but now I won't feel so bad if it doesn't. Your plant is beautiful and that translucent looking corona against the hairy white is such a great combination.

I always love seeing your photos. :)

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp GPS 8836 at Hoyor.net

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Mike, I am amused you knew exactly which Paul Shirley hoya that was! And impressed too.

I am frequently tempted by eriostemmas but I have heard before they hate to be moved. I know I have at least two moves in my near future, so I know to hold off, but sometimes I feel a bit impatient. Oh well. I hate moving too, so I guess I know how they feel. Sp. Estrella Waterfall is fascinating. And it has such a fanciful sounding name.

Where did you get 'secret hoya' from, David?

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

As usual, your pictures are beautiful, David. Thanks for showing us. I always enjoy seeing your pictures and the info about them.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Aw, thanks for sharing these exquisite pictures, dmichael. These really made my day!

I'll be getting some eirostemma cuttings hopefully soon, can't wait!

TammyPie

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Congrats for the bloom of cv. Optimistic.
    I had been waiting on Ruthie,a big plant, for 6 years. Even it got max sun, still not have not flower. After all those years of waiting, I had to say goodbye to it.
    Thanks you for your flowers show, always love to see your hoya.
    sue

• jakalfoshakal
    12 years ago

Optimistic is gorgeous!! All of them just brightened my day. Thanks for sharing!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Oh Wow David!! I LOVE them all...but some of my favorites are the cv. optimistic and the Estrella waterfall. But gosh...they are all so beautiful!

Does the cv. optimistic have to be large to bloom? I just love the blooms on this family but it seems like they get SO large?

Thanks for posting!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Mike I do believe you are right with that ID. Thanks for passing that info along and would you believe that after opening the link you provided,I have been to that site numerous times and actually looked at this very same hoya but never put 2 and 2 together that it might be the same!!!

Quinn, the "secret hoya" is not really a secret hoya at all. It's just a clone of H. pottsii that I got from David Liddle about 9 years ago. It is a very rampant grower but has never bloomed for me--- UNTIL--- today!!! The buds are popping open!!! It's actually hoya pottsii IML 0022 the one which is said to have the blue/green flowers according to David Liddles color description. I have not mentioned the name until today because I didn't want to jinx it and have the buds blast!!! I can tell anyone and everyone who has ever wanted to see this hoya in flower to see if the blooms really are blue/green,I have some really bad news for you. They are not even close to being either one of those colors!!! They are in reality,yellow!!! AS soon as they are fully open I will take pics to share.

Pug, my own personal experience with the eriostemmas is yes they do as I haven't had one bloom yet that was not a monster sized plant. They take so long to bloom and take up so much room that I eliminated all of them from my collection with the exception of ciliata and cv. optimistic and THEE only reason they are still around is because i'd have to unwind and chop and shred and pull and tug yards of vine from around the gh rafters as they are both tangled messes up in the gh ceiling!!

David

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Oh, I knew what the secret hoya was, I just wanted to help avoid the jinx! Hmmm, well, I like yellow too. I'll have to see what mine does, when it gets there.

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Hehehehe, in eight more years, if mine blooms, I'll tell ya what color they are. :P

I can't wait to see the pictures!!!!!

Carolyn

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For those of you who are waiting to see the H. pottsii IML 0022 flowers your wait is about to be over!!! I have to admit though that this hoya totally rained on my parade as I have waited days,months and years to see this hoya that has fascinated so many people for so long just with it's flower color description alone,come into bloom!!! Well here is the first and only picture that I have ever seen of those blue/green pottsii flowers!!! Either my vision is much worse than I thought it was or there's been a major mix up somewhere!!! It'd be very interesting to know if there actually is a blue/green flowering H. pottsii and maybe I just received the wrong hoya.

H. pottsii IML 0022 McIllwraith Ra. blue/green flower,white corona,dark green fleshy leaves. Word for word description from the catalog.

these are the H. acuta "Borneo" flowers from the group of photos above,but fully open today

this is another clone of H. pottsii,IML 0353 Cooper's Creek. This is one of my favorite hoyas for it's flower color!!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Yeah . . . that's not blue/green. :( I'm disappointed. I think I'm going to return mine. hehehe

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Well, I hope it doesn't take 9 yrs for everyone else's to bloom. Because it would be nice to compare. As for me, it is the only pottsii I have, so I don't mind. I used to have 'Cooper's Creek' and am now disappointed again that mine died :(

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Breathtaking!!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

They're beautiful even though they didn't end up blooming blue/green...Darn! I too was looking forward to seeing those color blooms. Sorry David! I too wonder if there truly is a blue/green blooming Pottsii out there? Only time will tell I guess when someone else's blooms. They're all beautiful though!

• mitzicos
    12 years ago

David,

Gorgeous flowers.... very nice pictures!

Thank you for sharing!

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Well it's not blue/green but it is still a stunning colour. I wonder if this one needs some mineral or something in the soil that is found in it's home range to get those blue/green blooms?
    I have to admit that I don't have a single Hoya pottsii in my collection. I have Hoya nicholsoniae which is synonymous so that counts. LOL

Mike

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike,, dude no hoya collection is complete without at least 1 pottsii!!!! With the 4 new ones that I just received on this recent Iris Liddle order I Now have 18 pottsii clones in my collection!!!

It would be interesting to know that info Mike. I emailed Iris in regards to this hoya a little over a week ago and still have not heard from her.I'm wondering if there really is a hoya out there with a flower this color and did I just happen to get a mispick when David was pulling the cuttings to fill that order. He described the leaves as being fleshy and I don't find them to be any different from any of the other pottsii clones that I have with the exception of "Chiang Mai"

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Well I finally got one flower - that I have been waiting for - for a long time on my lacunosa... smells pretty once it gets dark - but I haven't noticed anything overpowering...

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Golden, isn't H. Lacunosa adorable? I had H. Lacunosa years ago, but it died. Currently I have Lacunosa 'Tove' which was given to me as a cutting by a girl from London (Hills I think her name was) a couple of years ago. The smell is heavenly.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Very Pretty Tammy.... it has sort of a pinkish tinge!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats Golden!! Its beautiful! So exciting to see our first blooms isn't it!

Tammy, I love the pink hues on your 'tove'...reminds me a lot of my Royal flush blooms. Beautiful too!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Everyone talks about how Eriostemmas don't like to be moved, but what exactly happens when you move them?

I have three of these and I suppose I move them as much as I move any other Hoya. That is to say, I will pick up the flat they're in, take it down, water them, and put it back (sometimes reversed). Is that too much movement? Or are you talking moving them to a completely different location? I'm wondering because I've always found them rather easy to grow but lately they've been spontaneously dropping individual new leaves here and there and I can't quite work out why they are mad. My other hypothesis is, of course, that they aren't liking the rhythm of my watering schedule. I know most of them like to be kept on a pretty intense watering cycle, but I know I read somewhere that at least one of them doesn't like being kept damp, and now I can't recall which one it was. >_Gorgeous Optimistic, though. It's so crazy looking at that picture of the bloom half unfolded.

LOVE that PS NOID, David. It's so cute! There are definitely some NOIDs where not knowing their ID in no way diminishes their appeal and this is one of them. I am glad I'm not the only one that's blown away by this little mystery. And I'm glad Mike could shed some confusing light on its identity/story...

I think I'd heard before that graveolens was hard to bloom, but maybe that was just from you. I really like this one. Is it stinking?

As for IML 0022... CONGRATULATIONS on it blooming. I think that's just great. And you took a PERFECT photo of it. It looks so vivid and silky, and such a pretty mustard yellow color. I thought I'd be disappointed, but I'm not disappointed at all because it's gorgeous, so well done you. I'd heard from other sources that it bloomed warm colors for them, too, but I hold out hope that the blue/green color will be replicated someday, and we'll figure out what conditions produce it. Maybe you'll do something slightly different and it will be crazy green/blue next year. At least now you know you can bloom it and that's the first step. :P I agree with Quinn that it would be fantastic if the rest of us didn't have to wait NINE years, since I know many of us were lured in by the mythological blue/green blooms and it would be fun to putter around pursuing it together, changing temperatures and adding compounds to the soil like mad scientists. I think I read somewhere that it only blooms blue if you feed it virgin's blood.

Love that ivory white Borneo, too. I can't decide which portrait is my favorite.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Golden is this the first time that your lacunosa has bloomed??? I like it's fragrance and it's one of those hoyas that always seems to be in bloom,in fact pretty much year round for me.

Tammy, have you noticed that the leaves on lacunosa "Tove" turn a nice shade of purple/black when grown in high light???

GG, I haven't noticed anything going on with any of my eriostemmas when I move them as far as growing is concerned. I thin it's just that they like to get settled into one place and grow up as high as they can,then drape back down and bloom!!!

I smelled the graveolens and I didn't find it to be stinky. It's not really a strong scent either,just very lite.

I sure hope that no one else does have to wait 8 or 9 years to get their IML 0022 pottsii to come in to bloom because if any one gets it to flower earlier and it is blue/green, I WANT A PIECE!!!!!

I have a few more things in bloom today that i'd like to share wit you all.

First up is H. merrilllii. This is a neat hoya. The leaves are medium sized and dark green when grown in medium to low light but turn a nice dark shade of red when exposed to high light or full sun.

H. callistophylla IML 0554---gorgeous flowers but they only seem to last for a day!!!

H. sp. Ban Ngong Ngoy in the process of opening

H. dolicosparte

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Thanks for the answers about Eriostemmas and graveolens. Both are a great relief. ^_^ If my pottsii ever blooms blue/green you can definitely have a cutting.

That merrillii photo is just stunning!!! I love the way that one bud looks kind of toasted.

LOL callistophylla doesn't even deserve to have such spectacular blooms since its leaves are already beautiful.

• golden_ca_2000
    12 years ago

Yes first time for me with my lacunosa - been waiting a long time to actually smell that little flower.... I have another one coming along too!
    As always David - STUNNING shots... Wow your callistophylla IML 0554 flower - ONLY ONE DAY... thats too bad - gotta make sure you catch that one eh? lol

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Wow, such eye-candy!

David, I especially like the "Borneo" and the Cooper's Creek....
    the latter reminds me of butterscotch pudding.

This month, my vanuatuensis is putting out some late, sparse blooms.
    The plant was covered in aphids over the winter and needed a soap treatment
    and a heavy pruning. Now it's back out hanging under a maple tree, backbudding
    and putting on exuberant growth.

Josh

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

David that Hoya merrillii is amazing!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh,
    that's a very nice vanuatuensis plant. Mine is growing but has a ways to go to catch up to yours!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the photos.

• Harrison871
    12 years ago

OMG sooooo pretty!!! Every one of those hoyas on here are now on my wish list. Sooo Beautiful, thankyou for sharing. so excited to see what mine will look like. keep that pictures coming!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I agree, beautiful vanuatuensis! I just received an exquisite cutting of this one this year and it's nice to be able to admire a full-grown plant.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

You'll be hacking it back in no time ;-)
    The mother plant, on the island of Vanuatu, had vines that were twenty feet long.

Josh

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

H. vanuatuensis is lovely. I received a few small cutting of this one just before fall, last year. There are SEVERAL vines now, and a few are around three feet. ;) Great plant.

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful flowers David and Josh!! Thanks for sharing!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH