Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

My Liddle order

golden_ca_2000
12 years ago

I received my Liddle order on Friday - got a nice bunch of cuttings... have them all planted up and I thought I would show you guys and girls my order.... I really like my macrophylla 'Variegata' (thanks Denise - I saw your photo and HAD to have one) anyways heres a few photos

hoya acuta 0079

hoya rigida

pottsii 0489

macrophylla variegate

RHP (this one looks a bit rough - hopefully it will pull through)

This one I had to have after I saw Mikes!! Thanks Mike!

Hoya blaschernaezii

hoya purpureo fusa

mix shot

all planted up

Comments (27)

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Congratulation Lynn on your new hoya cuttings.I hope they grow big and flower often for you.

Cindy

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Very Nice Golden!! Best of luck with all your new cuttings!

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Congrats! Those are all very pretty! I have the variegated macrophylla, and it's definitely one of my favorites. I'm dying to get my hands on a rigida, too, and the blaschernaeziiis is just gorgeous! Good luck with them!

Deborah

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

You have a great selection. Enjoy!!! Can't wait until you post pictlures showing blooms.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

You've got some really nice looking cuttings there Golden!!! Great selection as well. I wouldn't worry too mush about the pubicalyx,they're almost indestructible. It may look rough for a short time but I think it will be just fine.

Iris really sent out a nice bunch of cuttings this season and they all seem to have traveled great distances in little to no time at all.

Of the lot that I ordered more than half are rooted in nicely already. I root mine in those little mouth rinse cups like yo use in your bathroom and I can already pull a lot of them out of the cups with a nice intact root ball!!! I love using these little cups to root in because they are translucent and you can see when the cuttings have rooted.It also keeps me from pulling them out every other day to look for roots!!!

david

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

David, what a great idea. I never thought of using them for hoya. I use those little cups to root african violet leaves. They stay in those little pots until they are ready for a 3-4" pot. It does make it easier to transplant them. I'm going to use them the next time I have hoya cuttings.
    Thanks for the idea.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

David, my cuts were huge - as it looks like most were for everyone that ordered.
    How do you get your cups to stay upright when rooting these heavy vines? Can you show a photo?

Thanks!

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

E.L.B.,

To make the entire process easier I start by cutting my vines into as many 2 node pieces as possible.

Now comes the secret to keeping them in an upright position. I'm currently at work so can't take a picture right now but will get one when I get home.

I have a wroguht iron coffe table fram that at one time had a glass top. My dad picked this frame up from the scrap metal bin at the local recycling center. He's a welder by trade (retired now) and was always looking for odds and ends of metal to make things with. Well the table frame sat in his shop for ever and I decided one day to put it to good use!!!! I cut a piece of plywood to fit the surface of the table where the glass once was and then secured it to the frame using cable ties. I then took one of the little cups that I use to root the hoyas in.turned it upside down and traced as many cirlces 9around 60 or so) on the wood surface as I could get on it. Then using a hole cutting blade and drill, I cut out each circle. The cups slip right in all the way down to the lip of the cup. I don't know what made me think to do this with this table but before I did I always had a problem with my rooting cups/pots tipping over!!! Now even hoyas with the largest of leaves will not tip over!!!

David

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Golden those are all great Hoyas and I know you will love that Hoya blashernazii but it can be slow to start new growth. The good thing is that although blashernazii is slow to start it blooms early once it does.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Golden

Ooo! Isn't 0079 the BEST acuta? It's just pretty as a newly minted penny.

I love 1424, too! This was my first rigida that inspired my ever-lasting addiction. :X

I've been really envious of everyone who ordered purpureo-fusca. I don't know what I was thinking when I took a pass on this one :P

/David

Using those little rinse cups is a neat idea. I always root mine in their final 3.5" pots, but I'm sure those little cups give you a lot more control and then you can just pop out the root ball and plant them. Plus you can fit more into limited space.

I WAS asking myself the same question as Begonia, tho! Thanks for sharing your brilliant solution. I bet it would be pretty easy to rig up a similar kind of system within an aquarium, by poking out holes in your egg crating layer and suspending it high enough that the cup bottoms were above the water level.

/Mike & Golden

I rooted my Aleya blashernaezii in early May and it has put out a ton of new leaves and vines. It has easily triple the growth of either of my siariae I bought last year. I'm pretty sure it's just trying to make Mike look bad. So, be sure to tell yours how Mike insulted it, too. :P

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

as promised earlier,here's a picture of my rooting table. It's sitting on one of the benches in the gh right now. All of the cuttings are not from the Liddle order.There's a mixed bag of them going at the moment from different locations around the globe!!!

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

David, wow that is definitely the way to recycle an old table....

I seem to be having trouble with my blaschernaeziii... the leaves seem to be going black and I have lost 2 leaves... I have only had it in my aquarium a few days and it has just gone down hill... :0(

in the middle of the photo you can see the leaf end had gone black... both of these leaves now have fallen off

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Golden, I'm truly a neophyte here so just ignore me if I'm off base, but can you lighten your mix with more perlite? I'm wondering if it's too moist.

/David, BRILLIANT! So clever and functional! Note to self; Keep eyes peeled for discarded iron table bottoms!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Golden when I said my blashernazii was slow to start it was because for the longest time it was very yellow overall. After developing a good root system it picked up but it was a tough one for the first six months. I think as long as those two upper leaves stay attached it should be ok.

David is the a big husky Hoya obtusifolia in the back left hand corner by the Hoya fusca? I just got obtusifolia this spring and I can't wait for it to start to grow. That Hoya trigonolobus is really cool to and now I wish I had ordered it, here's hoping that the Liddle orders aren't a thing of the past.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I wish GG would send some of her crazy blashernaezii magic my way, because I too am finding it reeeeaaallly slow. It got my hopes up earlier this year shooting out a 2ft long vine and leaf buds. Then the leaf buds aborted. Then half the vine dried up. Now we're back to a staring contest. I will find comfort that Mike had the same experience, yet he got his going eventually and shared bloom pics with us. Which, frankly, got me interested in the plant in the first place. I am happy I didn't lose any leaves though, because I only had two to start with. They are nice and green. Just nothing's going on. It's potted in a 2.5 in pot, in coco husk chips.

David, there are some giant leaves among your cuttings! That cuttings table is pretty cool.

Golden if you happened to have some Physan around, I might give it a little bit of it. If not, it's probably ok. I already have some mixed up from a previous need for it and in a chemical wash bottle, so if I see any signs of rot or fungus, I squirt a little of the premixed stuff into the soil. I try not to use it anywhere that will run off into the drains/sewer system, however, because it's toxic to fish. But I tend to use chemicals like that only in closed systems. For instance, I avoid using Bayer imidacloprid products outside to prevent potentially killing bees. No bees inside, so we're safe :)

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No never heard of Physan? I will research it...

Mike, as soon as I saw the leaves on blashernazii - it right away reminded me of the palawan 9076 that I ordered from Paul Shirley.... but that one didnt make it either...so I hope this one has better luck...
    It makes me wonder when they ship these cuttings - it cant be good to be in the air plane in freezing temperatures... I am thinking that didnt help...

• cpawl
    12 years ago

I think the cargo area is a bit heated as they ship live animals and other perishables.
    I got a cutting of blashernazii last year and was doing ok until this spring it got soft leaves.I took a cutting and rooted it in turface with added pumice.It has started to grow and I think I will leave this cutting in turface and see how it dose in this medium.
    I do wish your cutting good luck rooting.

Cindy

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Golden and E.L.B.,

as the old saying goes "ones man's junk is another man's treasure" well this was my treasure!!!

Mike,yes that big leaf hoya in the back left corner of the table is obtusifolia. I had a fairly decent sized plant for several years and for some reason it just started going down hill and I wasn't able to save any of it. The trigonolobus is very cool!!!! If only I can keep it alive and growing!!!. I had it once before and it never did anything except eventually die. I cut this one into 3 pieces and all 3 rooted really quick.

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Cindy... What is turface? Never heard of it....

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh man. I wish I could send everyone blashernaezii magic, too. I'm a big believer in the "strong cutting" b/c sometimes I can't figure out any other logic for it b/c I know I'm not giving it anything you aren't. I do think that blashernaezii likes to dry out more than siariae, even though they look like they'd like the same to me. My blashernaezii is roughing it in a severe western exposure that's a bit of a sink or swim environment.

blaeshernaezii = swim
    diversifolia = sink
    pottsii chiang mai = sink
    pachyclada = swim
    aff. picta = sink
    panchoi = sink
    carnosa 'lime green' = sink
    amoena = swim
    variegated acuta = swim
    d. burma = swim
    d. nummularia = swim
    d. geri = swim
    juanngoiana = swim
    densifolia = swim
    australis ssp sanae = swim
    buotii = swim
    balaensis 'sukrin narathival' = sink
    loheri = swim
    picta = sink

I'm going to move everything below that I've labeled as 'sink' because they look weaker since I moved them here (although still in good shape).

Sometimes it's surprising what plants like. I wouldn't have called these results. I'm not going to read too much into it, but I'm not going to take too many risks either.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Lynn, Pug started a discussion on starting cuttings in Turface.She explains it well.

Cindy

Here is a link that might be useful: pugs

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes very interesting thread.... thank you Cindy, for pointing that out...

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well one of my cuttings seems somewhat happy in the rooting tank.... (acuta 0079) I just noticed it just starting to bud up today - lol... always nice when they come with peduncles...

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Very Cool! This happened to me once with a small cutting of Pottsii(unknown IML)...had a peduncle, budded and fully opened while in the rooting aquarium. Good luck Golden!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I think rooting aquariums with their extra high humidity are the perfect environment for most Hoyas. I have never had a cutting bloom out in the open but buds often appear when new cuttings with existing peduncles are placed in the aquarium to root.
    I got Hoya acuta (red) in my first ever Liddle order and it still has yet to form peduncles. The plant is huge now with very large leaves and it's been wrapped around it's four foot tall trellis three or four times over. I love my plant but what gives? I feel like it's holding out for a greenhouse or something. LOL

Mike

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I just thought it would be kind of cool to actually see the flower upfront right away... and smell the fragrance of course... If it actually makes to opening.... I will take a photo and post..

• samanti
    12 years ago

Can someone send me, the current hoyalist of Iris Liddle?

thanks
    samanti

Sponsored