Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

bugs on hoya compacta

greentoe357
9 years ago

ladyhawk_lmr writes in another thread (should have been a separate thread, so I am helping out):

Help needed for my hoya! Background-40 years old, in a terracotta 10 inch pot, terracotta saucer, garden window facing north(neighbor has white aluminum siding that reflects light) water every other week, has lots of vines and lots of peduncles about 11/2 inches long. Last fall I noticed a bunch of brown "specks" lying under the Lucite sheet lining my garden window. Upon further investigation I found them to be what I took to be dead baby spiders. They had gotten trapped under the Lucite and died. I took the plant outside and sprayed it down to hopefully wash out the "mama" spider. It did alright thru the winter and spring. The problem started again with the same brown "specks" about 6 weeks ago. I again washed it down. As the peduncles started to bloom I noticed that they were not opening all the way and they seemed to have a stickey substance coating them. Along with the stickey substance were lots of little while dots, kind of fuzzy. After looking on line for answers I think I might have spider mites. I've enclosed picturers of the white "fuzz" and a picture of the whole plant. So the question is, is it spider mites and if so what do I do to get rid of them. This plant means a great deal to me as it was a wedding gift to us 41 years ago! I really need to save it!!

Comments (3)

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These look to me more like aphids - I hope somebody else can confirm. They are too big to be spider mites. The fact that you saw dead ones near the plant is also a give-away - spider mites generally are not found like that. Do you see tiny webbing near the youngest growth on the plant? If you do not, they are likely NOT spider mites (if you do, then it's almost certainly them though).

The infestation seems to be pretty severe (is that stem completely covered with them?) - BUT if they are aphids, the good news is that they are pretty easy to control. As you already found out, they get dislodged by a simple spray of water. Once they are off the plant, most aphid species can't get back onto it.

Because of those highly crinkled leaves, it's very difficult to hit all the nooks and crannies with a water hose though. Best to take it outside and hit it with a spray from all sorts of directions very thoroughly. Some soil may be washed out, but it's way better than leaving any suckers behind. You can easily top up the soil.

People have also successfully controlled bugs on H. compacta by completely submerging the whole plant, pot and all vines, into a bath or other container of soapy water (a couple teaspoons of gentle soap, not detergent, per gallon of water) for a few minutes to an hour or so. Your plant is large, so I am not sure if this is realistic. You need to swish the plant under that water so that it gets to all the hiding places, just like a spray should. The soap removes the protective coating on the aphids and causes them to die of dehydration. Soap solution can also be sprayed on the plant, but I think it'll be ineffective here because a spray bottle just does not create a stream forceful enough to reach behind all those leaf angles.

No matter what treatment you choose, it's a good idea to repeat it, even after they all seem completely gone, weekly or so, a couple times, just to hit the ones that may have survived, before they breed.

Good luck! (You don't need much here, but still...) A 40-year old wedding gift hoya is something VERY special, and I hope very much you can control these buggers.

• Denise
    9 years ago

They don't look like the aphids we have here - ours are bright yellow and they usually attack the fresh vines and not so much leaves, unless they, too, are young and just developing. To me, they look more like mealybugs, but not quite right. Possibly whiteflies? I've never had them myself, but it reminds me of photos I've seen of whitefly...

But when it comes to sucking bugs and more specifically, compacta, I think you have to take a very aggressive stance to save it. This is a case where I would use the Bayer Tree and Shrub, 2 tablespoons in a gallon of water, and water it into the soil. Do it outside, away from where any pets might get into the overflow. This literally makes the plant poisonous to pests and what you can't reach in the nooks and crannies will die, and it remains poisonous to anything for about 6 months. Compacta is one I will use BATS on twice a year just to be safe because it is impossible to treat any other way...

Denise in Omaha

• greentoe357
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to mention chemicals - also a solution.

I am not sure it's aphids either (never seen them live), but some pictures online do look close to me. (Google the images, ladyhawk). Aphids can be brown, green, yellow, off-white, red, black or brown - many different species, I suppose.

Try to take a more blown-up photo, so that individual features of the bugs can be seen, if possible.

If people here have a trouble ID'ing reliably, or if you do not want to wait, you might want to post here: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/pests/.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions