Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammypie

Hoya lauterbachii from Logee's

tammypie
12 years ago

Just got my new H. Lauterbachii today in the mail. It's a small plant (maybe a cutting?) with beautiful large leaves.

My digital camera is on the fritz otherwise I'd post a pic.

Anyone here can give me pointers in taking care of this splendid hoya?

Thanks, TammyPie

Comments (8)

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Tammy, this eriostemma likes a lot of light, warmth and water...don't let it totally dry out...the leaves will turn yellow. Also, don't keep the soil wet, just moist. Also, it doesn't like to be moved and grows best if allowed to climb, it's not a vining plant. If yours gets mealybugs, do not spray the plant with alcohol..it killed mine...use a mild solution of BATS...less than the directions call for. The plant typically will grow upwards and then vine down, the new vines will, again, grow upwards. The blooms are sensational, but the plant typically needs to be 20-30 feet tall to bloom...best climbing a tree! This plant is very difficult to get to bloom, though Carol Noel gets hers to bloom frequently in Hawaii. Best wishes, Patrick

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Congrats on lauterbachii! I always feel, when someone acquires this plant, that they've taken a strange new direction in their life. Like a med student taking a shine to forensics, or Harry Potter picking up black magic. The rest of us can just stare O_O.

O, ancient house of lauterbachii. Will you bloom?

• tammypie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I let my Lauterbachii rest for a day and just repotted her in a 6 inch ceramic pot, prepared new potting mix and added vermiculite (to retain moisture), some perlite (for drainiage), little charcoal and added some limestone to the mix, put her in my garden window next to my kitchen sink and added a bowl of water under her for extra humidity. How does that sound? I think this one is gonna be a challenge!

TammyPie

• suetran1
    12 years ago

GG you made me laugh.
    I got this one for 4 years, finally I KILLED it.
    Tammy, I send you 3 times email, pls check your gmail SPAM.

• plumygirl
    10 years ago

Although plumeria is my main addiction and also what I sell, I started getting back into Hoyas with two H. lauterbachii from Logee's and I absolutely love them! Used the same mix the plumeria enjoy and repotted them in a ceramic pot about two weeks after they were delivered. I've kept them on the barely moist side with good afternoon sun though not direct sun. So far so good! Still need to find a small trellis for them. Any advise from the experts would be appreciated.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

H lauterbachii went onto my wishlist a long time back. Even worked out a place for it to go when it arrived. Then late last year I got one (potted). It was long enough I gave a cutting to a friend. My piece went to the base of a tree in amongst tall ferns. So it got shade but strong light and regular watering from my automatic irrigation. Possibly too much water but I put some large leaves over the pot (see in the photo) so most water is shed to the side but the foliage and surrounding vegetation stay wet for quite a while.

The tree is double trunked and one shoot has gone between the trunks but will come into full afternoon sun on the other side. The second shoot (you can see in the photo) is going up. It was staying quite low but when long enough I propped it up. It seems pretty happy with its location and is free to move where it likes. In time I'll see what it's preference for location is by where it grows. And upwards it has a whole tree to choose from.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Tropic, talk about freedom to roam! I had that much room given to me, I'd flower for you in a heart beat...I hope it does well for you.

Tammy, sounds like you picked yourself a great plant. Every time I go there, 5 times a year, I always pick one up and then put it back..I keep thinking it will take years to mature size, but then when I get home, I keep remembering it is a cutting taken from a mature plant that just may well bloom way before it's time...Good for you!

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I heard about lauterbachii a number of years ago. Was told it was beautiful, but was difficult and needed to grow long. That was like waving a red flag in front of a bull to me. I picked what I'm hoping is an ideal tree for it. Plenty of sun, but it can pick out shadier spots if it likes. My friend says her cutting is growing well but it's staying in a pot.

Mine is sharing the tree with Lady Slipper Vine, Thunbergia mysorensis, so a combination of the two flowering would look great.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions