Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eye_love_begonias

Coupla kids are having an identity crisis

eye_love_begonias
12 years ago

Please give a shout out if you have an idea of the ID on these two.

Both came via trades, one so long ago I can't recall who I got it from or when. It lives in a dixie cup (in a McCoy pottery hanging pot) in my kitchen window (east exposure, a.m. sun) - in fact has lived in that dixie cup for about 3 years. Guess I should stop abusing the poor thing and pot it up and perhaps it will reward me with a few more of these beautiful leaves (most are not this pretty)

And the second I got in a trade back in October and my trade partner doesn't reply to email - so I can't get a response as to who it is.

LONG thin(ner) leaves

I know, that without a bloom I can only apply some *possibilities* but at least I'd like to narrow it down to a handful of potentials.

Comments (12)

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Don't know what they are, the first one looks like a small pubicalyx, though, but I love the silvering on it!

Lisa

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

First one looks like H. pubicalyx 'Pink Splash' . . . a very splashy variation of pink silver.

The second one . . . I have no idea.

Carolyn

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I really have no helpful info(except that I agree that the first one is some cv of pubicalyx)- I just wanted to say that they are both very pretty! I especially love the glossiness of the second one!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I would say Hoya pubicalyx for the first one as well.

The second one will be more difficult but it does remind me of the species in section Hoya (includes carnosa), species like sp Kunming Kina or salweenica. Are the stems or leaf backs hairy or smooth?

Mike

• eye_love_begonias
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I agree that #1 is most likely pubicalyx of some sort.

And I'd be tickled if #2 is Kunming Kina (same as revolubilis???)

I'll check the backs of the leaves later today Mike and report back.
    thanks again!!!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The leaves might be only slightly hairy at their margins but do check the stems because they stay hairy even at maturity.

Mike

• eye_love_begonias
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some photos of the backs of the leaves which shows some hair on the edges. (click the photo to go to 'Flickr dot com' and then click the magnifying glass and then once you are in the 'light box view' click the 'view all sizes' in the right corner) you can zoom into it to see more clear details)

Can't say that the stems are hairy though, but slightly on the edges.

Not nearly as 'felted' as let's say my H. australis var. australis (formerly 'keyseii' (sp?)

Photo one

Photo Two

Last one

Does this help? And again all, thanks for the help narrowing this one down.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Yes those photos helped tremendously and they do suggest Hoya sp Kunming Kina. The new growth/stems also look hairy but with the older growth being more woody. The species that is sold under the name Hoya salweenica has hairy stems that don't seem to go woody like sp Kunming Kina's so it is similar but your plant is just too large to be that species, also the leaf base of your plant is more narrow.

Hoya sp Kunming Kina is a really nice Hoya species and I am sure it will be one of your favorites. The long leaves make this one very dramatic looking as the plant gets larger. Flowers will confirm the ID but I am pretty certain about it already.

Mike

• eye_love_begonias
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mike! So is it also the same as H. revolubilis? I was just on Ted Green's site and if you scroll down to the 'R' section he has this

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Here is what Christine Burton has to say about Hoya sp Kunming Kina and Hoya revolubilis. The comparison she does is very helpful and even if you are not familiar with all of the terms used your plant definitely has acute leaf tips vs obtuse ones.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dictionary/Dictionary_O/dictionary_obtuse.htm

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya revolubilis vs sp Kunming Kina

• eye_love_begonias
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much Mike for the great info!

Now I'm wondering what a hoya 'gland' looks like! ???

the article says H. revolubilis "Petiole: Has 2 to 3 glands at apex, where it joins the leaf base."

So for now, I'll settle with keeping it tagged as NOID Hoya but potentially H. Kunming Kina until I either have flowers or am able to contact the person that gave it to me.

Really appreciate all the help!

• wrynsmom
    12 years ago

Yep, looks just like my Kunming Kina . . . lovely plant. Takes FOREVER to get acclimated and start growing, but once it does . . . watch out!

Carolyn

Sponsored