Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

Hoya curtisii -- just got one, what about it?

esther_b
12 years ago

Hi, hoyafolk. While at a reptile show today, I came across (and bought) a neat looking little vine. The vendor said it was a hoya. I'd never seen a hoya except for the regular waxy ones at the nursery, so I looked this one up when I got home. It looks exactly like a picture of Hoya curtisii, so I assume that's what it is. I intend to put it into my longtailed grass lizard tank, where it will have a full spectrum fluorescent bulb to sustain .

Are there any culture issues of which I should be aware? What is the growth habit of this species? How often should I water it?

Thanks for any info.

Comments (8)

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I once had a H. Curtisii. It has small leaves that were dappled and pointy at the tips. Loves so creep along the ground. Mine was actually growing up against its pot.

I think they like growing in terrerariums.

I'm guessing you let it go dry before watering again, just like most hoyas.

TPie

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Hoya curtsii is probably a creeper vs a hanging vine in nature and the well developed roots you will see at each node would confirm that. This species is said to like to remain moist but I let my plant dry slightly or it can develop problems. I can't say that any of my three plants grow well and I have them all in different conditions. I grow one mounted on wood with sphagnum moss and water it one to two times a day, another is mounted on cork with live moss in a terrarium and the other in a pot.
    Your plant should do well in the terrarium just don't let it stay soggy wet. Are you planning on keeping your plant potted or are you thinking of mounting it on wood?

Mike

• esther_b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike -- I planted it in a 6" clay pot in which I embedded a beautiful piece of mopani wood. I placed the strings of the vine along the branches of the wood. I hope it rather stays on the wood. The terrarium (for lizards) has finely shredded coco fiber substrate.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

That sounds appropriate but if you were hoping this Hoys would climb I will have to disappoint you. In a pot this one does grow strictly hanging down. You could try a few cuttings mounted to the wood with some sphagnum moss but you need to keep the moss moist. I have never kept long tailed grass lizards but I don't think they need very high humidity or a moist terrarium floor so you will probably need to do daily misting if growing mounted.

Mike

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hi folks,

I have grown H curtisii on bark for which I had attached the curtisii to the bark mount w/ a few wraps of sewing thread (w/ some synthetic fiber in it, so the thread wouldn't rot). It did very well, but I lost patience having to walk it over to the sink for watering every other day.

With a few wraps of thread, you should find those tiny aerial roots this plant has attach quickly to whatever they're mounted on. I liked how it looked; was just more maintenance involved than I had patience for.

I'm especially fond of the shape of these leaves. They're an unusual shape, which in design lingo is referred to as Ogee-shaped.

Sadly, I recently lost the last little bit of this which were originally cuttings from Dr. Barad about 10 yrs. ago.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Great link GG although I feel worse than ever about my apparently plastic lifeless curtsii. That specimen at the Botanical Gardens is incredible.

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

It does sound like yours is a rather ungrateful little bugger! All those premium grade conditions you're providing it and it still isn't doing a thing for you. I'm a little outraged myself! >:O