Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gazebo Greenhouse ? HELP

Posted by grmadarr 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 0:36

I have a gazebo that is attached to my front porch that is not being used and I think it might make a nice GH. It sets on the north west corner of my mobile home.Any suggestions as to how we can accomplish this will be greatly appreciated I have a wonderful carpenter for a son so he could do the work!
ALSO; I got 3 nice plantings from Gardino's and two(Compacta "Regalis" came in tiny pots(app.2 in.). I want to put them together in a pot. Is this the thing to do? The other plant(Hoya Nicholsoniae) came in a 4 in. pot. Should I repot it or leave it in the pot it came in? I will take some pix tomorrow and try to post them so you can see what I am talking about. Thanks for all the help all of you have given me! I love this forum. Darr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gazebo Greenhouse ? HELP

I would be concerned that because the gazebo probably has a raised floor that keeping the heat in during the cold months might be difficult and expensive. I am sure the covering rigid vs poly would be easy enough to figure out with your sons help but before you start think about the heating issues. The greenhouse forum on gardenweb might be a good place to post, lots of experience there.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some first hand knoledge.

Mike

o
RE: Gazebo Greenhouse ? HELP

I have owned two houses where I have had greenhouses built off the back but neither was a conversion. The last one was the most efficient. It had a foundation with a knee wall but no solid floor and I had ferns and begonias growing under the benches. There were cedar steps and planking in the middle that we used to access the plants. One thing that I regret not doing was adding a ceiling vent. There were two side windows and a door but still, way too much heat would build up in it, even though we used shade cloth during the summer months. Hope this helps.

lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here