Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Rooting is definitely happening

quinnfyre
12 years ago

Just wanted to share, some of my new cuttings from the Liddle order have definitely rooted already. I can see the roots forming for sp. Kalimantan (both cuttings) pretty easily due to the clear plastic pots they are in. I can't see whether or not pottsii has roots but it is starting new growth, so signs are good, right? One sp. Kalimantan cutting is in open air, as is the pottsii. The other sp. Kalimantan cutting is in my terrarium. Unexpectedly, the one in open air has a more extensive root system going on. I'm guessing it gets better light over in the south window.

My room is very warm (80 at the lowest, 89 at the highest, 86 on average) so I am sure that is helping. Linearis hates it but I really can't do anything about it. It seems, though, that is the only hoya I have that really has a problem with the heat.

Anyone else have promising signs of rooting from their cuttings?

Comments (11)

• gennykins
    12 years ago

I don't have my cuttings in clear containers but they are all healthy and beautiful. I am extremely pleased with the vigor of Iris's cuttings as well as the size of the cuttings she sent. I hope its possible to order from her next spring.

Lisa

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Mine are all still in the aquarium, but I use clear pots like you and can see that they have all rooted. Most of them have quite extensive root systems that have run amuck through the grid and into the water, actually. I need to figure out where I am going to put them next. I have some massive rearranging I need to do, and I might as well just get everything in place for winter while I'm at it.

I have one branch of patella that I can't see roots on, but I think I must be missing them since it has put out new leaves. (The tank is packed so full I can't work out what I did when I potted the plants up.) Once again, white patella is growing like a weed in the aquarium, just like its pink sister did earlier this summer.

elliptica bit the dust, of course, but everyone else was smooth sailing. I'm not sure what's up with me and elliptica. Maybe I killed its mother in a past life.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

GG, is elliptica an especially hard one to root? I'm hoping I will do well with the one I ordered from Epiphytica. I chose EPC-311, Clone A

Most of my Liddle cuttings are rooted, the exception is linearis, it's not happy, and is sending out roots except they are at the tip! not at the cut ends! They are coming out from the moisture in the propagation tank, the bottom however keeps turning yellow. Most of the rest are either potted up or waiting to get a few more roots before I pot up.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Hoya linearis is easier to root if you take the cut stem and then just place a flat pebble etc on it vs burying the cut end. This one likes it moist to root but it really likes to dry out otherwise. Keep cutting the yellow bit off and trying again.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My elliptica seems to be doing alright. But I think it arrived in very good shape. I lost one leaf, at the bottom, and it had a baby leaf starting that dried up. But nothing else. I'm not sure if it has rooted yet, because I didn't want to move it from its spot, and the pot it is in is more translucent rather than clear. So, if yours shows up looking nice and green, ELB, then I think you stand a good chance of rooting it. I'm getting excited to see the cuttings from the Epiphytica order. I picked ones I know very little about.

Also, I forgot to mention that I cheated :) I used rooting gel on everything. When I don't want to take a chance losing anything, I use it.

I grow linearis in Hydroton. I don't know if I got lucky or what, but I had no problems rooting it the first time. I got some more cuttings to add to it, and they all died immediately. I'm hoping it sticks around through this heat. I can't get my room any cooler and linearis always gets cranky when it gets warm. It looks really bad this year.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Begonia

I don't think elliptica is particularly resistant to rooting, it just travels very poorly. Even my cutting from Iris, which we all know arrived almost instantly, was yellow. (In my photograph, I actually boosted the green a bit, to give it a more hopeful appearance.)

The leaves do this thing where they go yellowy brown and transparent. They can come back if they are just a pale greenish yellow, but usually only one on the vine looks this 'good'. I suppose if you start with a good sized cutting your odds are fair.

I am 1/3 in rooting this plant and the 1 that survived really just pulled through by the skin of its teeth. My original hope was to have both the narrower and broader leaf version of this plant, but I think if I try again, it will be because I've managed to win one through a trade. Quinn's photographs were very encouraging, so I think things work out much better if the cutting comes from within the country.

I rooted linearis in perlite, curled in a circle on the surface. It rooted quite easily. You'll want to keep it on the cooler side, if you can.

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Jane,

Would you believe that I already have new growth on at least half of mine and have potted some of them into larger pots yesterday. I started them all out in the little Solo cups and most of them have roots that have wound themselves around the cup so that they are actually sticking out of the cup tops. Even waymaniae has new growth and it can be quite slow about putting on new sprouts.

I tried a new rooting mix and it seems to be the best i've used yet as these cuttings rooted almost immediately it seemed.

The new mix was just equal parts (8 qrts each) sphagnum moss,,perlite and vermiculite

ELB,

I have found that with hoyas like linearis and bella the smaller the cuttings the easier they root. I used to try to root long vines of linearis and they would almost always die. Then someone told me to cut the vines into inch long pieces and they'd root and they did. I have recently done this with hoya bella ( a hoya that I have NEVER been able to root) and I have roots on the cuttings!!!

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info GG, I think the one coming from Epiphytica is a rooted start, not sure but I thought that's what David said. Either way, I sure hope I can keep it alive.

On the linearis, I have it rooting in 50/50 perlite mix and one of the two cuts has bottom roots now, the other I just cut another 1/2 inch of yellow off of the end. Boo that!

If I plant it curled on the surface, will it sprout new vines from the nodes?
    Thanks again!!!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Begonia

You know, that is the principle, but it seems to work better with some Hoyas than others. With linearis it really only rooted strongly through the portion that was buried in the perlite. It did put out some little stubs but nothing that strongly grabbed the perlite, so when I potted it up, I let the length hang after all. I think it might have liked having its whole surface exposed to the moist perlite, though, just for the extra moisture and humidity.

/David

Thanks for sharing your results! Sounds like a nice little mix.

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

Sorry David, I missed your post above on the 1" pieces. I have enough to try at least a few pieces to see how it will do. Thanks for the tip!

GG, thank you also!

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

All of my cuttings have roots. I potted them up this evening. Callistophylla has even bloomed in the aquarium! I thought it would be years before I saw it bloom. Iris Marie's cuttings certainly are generous!