Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoya pubicalyx - plain green leaf

mdahms1979
13 years ago

I found this beautiful photo while looking for another Hoya on Flickr. The blooms are gorgeous and much different than my Pink Silver clone. Does anyone grow this form of Hoya pubicalyx, got any photos to share of your plant?

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya pubicalyx - plain green leaf

Comments (13)

• rennfl
    13 years ago

I have a plant of publicalyx that's leaves are the plain green. As it was the first publicalyx I had received, I thought that was the normal one. lol

But I haven't flowered it yet.

If you would like to see just the leaves, I can take a pic of them.

• Denise
    13 years ago

Ren, I'd like to see the leaves (since the photo Mike linked doesn't...)

Mike, I read down through the comments and apparently it's a Paul Shirley plant. (She had "PS" in her comment under it and initially, I thought she was referring to 'Pink Silver', but apparently it means Paul Shirley...) I've never ordered from him - can someone post a link to his website?

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Denise Paul Shirley does not ship the the US anymore, too many problems with confiscated cuttings etc. There is a Hoya pubicalyx GPS 282 listed now but I am not sure if it is the same plant, flowers look different although the photo is lower quality as well.

Rennfl the type species of Hoya pubicalyx is the plain green leafed one but it is less common in collections than the other varieties.

OK found a good photo, still no GPS # confirmation but must be the same plant.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=hoya+pubicalyx&uname=mavidi61&psc=G&cuname=mavidi61&filter=1#5236399815515054226

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Shirley Succulents Hoya- Netherlands

• rennfl
    13 years ago

ok, the first pic is the plain leaves plant by itself, I haven't bloomed it yet, and I received this from the guy in Hawaii about a year and a half ago.

The second pic is both plants together.

Renee

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the photos rennfl. Hopefully your plant blooms for you soon.

Mike

• Denise
    13 years ago

I like it - it's very pretty! Although I have several of the pubicalyx cultivars and swore I couldn't afford to designate more space for another one (they are aggressive growers!), I think it might be worth making space for.

Denise in Omaha

• geosdee
    13 years ago

OK, now you just had to go and post another picture. I love the publicalyx hoya's and now I need this one, and there is also one called bright eyes or something like that.

Dee

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jan I think they are the same plant from what I saw on the Hawaiian Hoya site when I looked it ( pubycalix HSI037) up.

Mike

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Well now I have HSI037 so I guess I will just have to wait and see how it blooms.

Dee

• bullsie
    13 years ago

I love the pubicalyx family and collect nothing but them (keeps the Hoya compulsion contained too). I too have one identical to the pics, just plain leaves, and am anticipating its blooming to see what I have.

Finding new pubicalyx is probably one of the better parts of collecting them. They are out there, just takes a bit to find them. And sometimes, its a matter of label changing when one Hoya goes from a number to that number being placed into the pubicalyx family.

• maidinmontana
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone. . . It's been a busy summer, and I think it's finally starting to slow down a bit. . .

Mike, I got the 'plain green' pub. from CN, she described it to me as the 'true' pub. whatever that means. . .

This photo was taken in April, it's ALOT bigger now. . . it's planted with a H. pub 'splash' and they both seem to be growing at the same rate. . . FAST...

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice plant Maid, that should be quite the show if both varieties bloom at the same time. I can't help but think of Hoya meliflua when I see this all green pubicalyx, the leaves look similar in colour and texture.

Mike