Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aurorawa

Smells like chocolate...

aurorawa
9 years ago

My hoya carnosa compacta has bloomed again on a different peduncle today. Also got my cuttings from SRQ and put them in my makeshift "nursery". I placed a second order yesterday for a bundle of 12, so I am excited to see what she will send! I am also going to attempt to share all of my hoyas (so far)!

H. Carnosa Compacta:

From top row left to right, then bottom row left to right:
h. diptera, h. aff. waymaniae, h. diptera (I made several cuttings off a mature one that a friend had), h. halophilia, h. anulata IML 1120, and h. DS-70:

My rooted cuttings from top row, left to right, then bottom row, left to right:
h. rigida IML 1424, h. cummingiana, h. meliflua, h. lobbii, h. pubicalyx 'pink silver', h. pubicalyx 'royal hawaiian purple', h. kentiana variegated, h. carnosa 'krimson queen', h. pallida, and last is h. polyneura.

And last, just because they are cute as heck, my week old adenium seedlings:

{{gwi:350452}}

Comments (11)

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of close ups of the cuttings:

h. aff. waymaniae (love the leaves):

and h. DS-70 (also really digging the leaves):

Peduncles on diptera (rear) and halophilia (front):

My anulata also has a peduncle, but no photo, don't want to disturb the cuttings more than they need to be!

• teisa
    9 years ago

Wow! Those are some awesome looking cuttings. Congrats on rooting them! They look like they are going to mature nicely. I also love how you have your Compacta hanging. It is one of my favorite, even though it is a bit common. TFS

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, teisa! I can't wait until I get my bundle of 12 order from SRQ! Then, I am going to seek the final 3 hoyas on my must have list, if they aren't in the mystery bundle from Joni! I want so bad to have lasiantha, archboldiana (white form) and obscura. Then, I will be done. At least, that is what I keep telling myself (and my husband, lol)!

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so grateful that I got one of the 3 on my wishlist, an obscura 'white'! Woot!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Looks good! I also like waymaniae leaves. And how 'bout that variegated kentiana! Last time I looked, which was multiple but not too many months ago, it was new and really expensive - like $30+ per cutting, I think. So, good for you for having it, and it looks really good.

Now, here's some unsolicited advice. Your mix looks really fine, peaty, water-retentive and not aerated enough. That tends to spell trouble for epiphytic plants like hoyas who need more air at their roots than a typical houseplant. What is it and what's in it? Peat should be completely avoided, and the mix should be heavy on relatively large particles of things like uncomposted bark, pumice, scoria, lava rock, any of the hydro media, coconut coir, very coarse perlite etc.

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is 70% orchid bark (no peat, coarse 1/4 inch nuggets), 20% perlite, and 10% organic potting soil (no fertilizer balls). I think because the cuttings were recently watered, it made everything look all smooshed together and whatnot. The pots/cups drain completely within 15-30 seconds.
    Here are pictures of the medium now, when it is not wet:

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Oh, ok, this actually does look better. And yeah, I suspected that mix was freshly watered, but it looked suspicious even knowing that.

One more comment though - you gotta watch when your mix consists of both larger particles like your bark and smaller "dusty" ones like peat or whatever else there may be. Over time, the dust may settle at the bottom of the pot and start suffocating roots, even as the top of the mix looks misleadingly-good. No reason to panic and change everything just yet, but it's a good idea to just keep this in mind and watch. Watching the plants is of course a good idea regardless of any of this. :-)

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I learned my lesson about mixing too fine particles once with a VERY nice Michelia Alba. RIP to that one, lol. The particles range from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch, and some of them were not chunky, but looked more like they were peeled, if you will. I may have a few 1/8 inch pieces floating around in there, as well, since I do have organic potting soil in my mix. I am debating on whether, during next pot-up, if I should just do away with it.

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Greentoe, if you would like, I would happily send you a couple of rooted cuttings of my variegated kentiana. I have 12, so two or three would not cause me any sadness!

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Aw, thank you! Really nice of you to offer, Aurora!

Let me trade you something for it! I sent you an email.

• aurorawa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sent you a reply :)