Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klyde_gw

Root mealybugs

klyde
13 years ago

Hi everyone:

Been a while since I posted. I hope you are all okay and having a nice summer.

I hope someone can help me...I repotted a H. Mathilde today, and it had some white powdery things on the roots. Now I'm familiar with mealybugs, so I poked at these a bit to see if that was what the white powdery bits were. I didn't actually see a bug, but if they were very small, I might not have been able to make them out. Can anyone tell me more about root mealy bugs and how I would deal with them? The plant looks fabulous and is growing very well, which is why I repotted. It has had mealybugs on the leaves, and I just have to continually deal with them now. I've used neem and alcohol spray for that.

Regards,

Kelly in Victoria

Comments (9)

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Hi Kelly

I had problems with root mealies on some plants this past winter. I tried everything including soap drenches and neem drenches but with little success. I ended up loosing half my collection of Stapeliads, some of which were really rare plants. I decided that instead of loosing them all and having the mealies infest my Hoyas I would get something to finally kill them for good. I have not used harsh chemicals for years and I still hate using them but I went and got some Bayer Advance and managed to save what was left of my Stapeliads. Root mealies have to be one of the worst plant pests I have dealt with. The insects themselves look like regular mealy bugs but less of that white waxy coating.

Mike

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Mike, good to hear from you!

Hmmm, I had a feeling this wasn't going to be a simple fix. Well Bayer Advance might make it simple enough I suppose. The plant is doing so well I hate to tear apart the root system and wash and spray with something that isn't going to ultimately do the job ie. Neem or whatnot. Sometimes you gotta bring in the big guns I guess. Now I wonder if I can get Bayer Advance in BC? We have some new pesticide laws, although I'm not sure if they are provincial. What is the active ingredient in Bayers, and can I ask where you purchased it out your way?

Funny you should say about less of a waxy coating, as what I poked at (if they were mealies) was waxy coating. Couldn't see a bug within the waxy bit. Maybe they were small. Does the Bayers set the plant back in any way, in the event I use it and the waxy bits aren't actually mealies?

All of my hoyas are doing well that you sent last year. One in particular. I took the tag off, but have it written down in my book somewhere. Large leaves with prominent veins. Sent up a shoot that just keeps going.

:) Kelly

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I had to mail order the Bayer Advanced from the US. Ontario has the same laws but I was fighting a loosing battle with those bugs so I had to figure out a way to get something strong enough to kill them for good. The main ingredient is imidacloprid which is something you want to use very carefully because it is linked to the death of honey bees. Treating plants that are not in flower poses little threat to the pollinating insects. There are several options if you look on Ebay, search for systemic insecticide. These products don't set the plants back and the one I have even contains fertilizers. You have to take personal safety precautions, don't get it on your skin and be careful when using and cleaning up after. I mix a gallon at a time so that it is easy to work with but you can also get time release granules that can be added to the top of the potting mix right in a plants pot.

I can't remember what Hoya that would have been, maybe the red flowered form of Hoya acuta? My plant is getting huge but it has not flowered yet, grows very well though. I am glad to hear everything is doing well.

Mike

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Mike:

Just have a few questions. Are you referring to the Bayer Advanced Multi-Insect Killer? That's all I've been able to locate on eBay. Want to be sure before I order...not finding a lot of product info about the active ingredients in the above...

Kelly

• theplanthoarder
    13 years ago

Here is the stuff I have:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bayer Tree and Shrub

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

That's the stuff, tree and shrub.

Mike

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Kelly, I see you live in Victoria.I live in Delta(Vancouver area.)If you have not found any where to get something to help.Maybe I could send you enough to treat the one plant.
    I just got the granule type that you lay on top of the dirt and then water.Let me know if I can help.

Cindy

• hills
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, and hope you're well. I haven't posted for ages, but work got in the way... and I kind of gave up a bit after I lost a load of Hoyas over the winter. But, this spring, they all took off and now I am wondering what to do with humungous Hoyas!

But, the problem is, my mealy bug infestation got way out of hand recently. I think they got immune to the Provado spray I was using and just went completely mental (I found whole CLUMPS of the dang things in between some of my leaves, ugh!) I also found the fluffy white balls in my soil. So I removed most of the soil, and had to water with the only systemic insecticide I have - Provado Vine Weevil. I am hoping that this will do the trick, but I have my meths on standby to kill any more crawlies I find.

I hate mealy bugs! >:(

• klyde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey cpawl:

I didn't check my postings again, so didn't get your message. Can you send me a pm?

Kelly in Victoria

Sponsored