Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wrynsmom

Aleya Garden

wrynsmom
13 years ago

Okay, all:

I just placed an order with Aleya Garden, a couple of hours ago . . . synchronize your watches; let's see how long it takes to get here. :)

Carolyn

Comments (35)

• gennykins
    13 years ago

How exciting! What did your order?

lisa

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Excellent! You don't want Thailand suffering under the oppressive weight of too many plants this winter. You're my hero.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Woohoo!!! I don't remember WHAT I ordered! hahaha I'll letcha know when they get here.

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Carolyn I have been itching to get a few more before the cool weather of the fall sets in. I have tried to set up an order with Botanova but the emails progress very slowly so I have all but given up. Another Thai order may be just what I should do.

Keep us posted on your cutting.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, I certainly will. I'm hoping to receive them in the next couple of weeks. I've already started rearranging in anticipation! Oh, that reminds me . . . I need to go get the aquarium out of the car before the sun really gets going.

I managed to get most of the plants I've received from Joni onto two shelves. :) Going for uniformity, now, I suppose. And WHILE I was rearranging the SRQ plants, I noticed nice new growth on each and every one! :)

Anyway, I'll letcha know when they get here and and what I got!

Carolyn

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The plants were shipped on August 31st, and they arrived today. They were supposed to be shipped EMS, but they shipped them small parcel, instead. Not a good thing. Over a week ago, I contacted them because the tracking number wasn't working. That's when they discovered the shipping mistake. :( They offered to replace the cuttings if the didn't "look good" when they arrived. Well, 5 of the 22 looked good enough to keep. Hmmmmmm . . . the others I took pics of and sent to them. We'll see what happens!

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Bummer but at least they should replace the ones that did not make it. I guess this just shows how important it is to pay the extra money for EMS shipping.

I can't believe you got 27 species. LOL :)

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, there were only 22 cuttings, some duplicates. but only 5 cuttings survived. They should be sending 17 replacements. We'll see . . .

Carolyn

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Ha ha, to: "only 22 cuttings". What did you get?

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Carolyn-
    How many boxes did they use for 22 cuttings? Trying to remember - do they have a limit of the # of cuttings per box?
    Hope the 17 are replaced!
    Kelly

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

What a bummer! Is your weather going to hold for the reshipment to arrive in time? Which were the troopers that survived, out of curiosity?

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmm . . . well, let me think for a minute . . .

Kelly - they used one box. I had my permit and import sticker, so it was fine . . .but it WASN'T inspected. It came straight here.

GG- H. parasitica variegata, H. cv. doithung x2, and . . .H. microstemma, H. sp. UT001

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Carolyn Hoya sp. Doithung is really neat. I was interested in that one so tried to find out about it but short of emailing one of the Thai vendors I have not found much info. I would really like to know if it is in fact a hybrid, only Aleya's garden site seems to add the cv. before the name. I had always assumed that it was an unidentified species, still have no idea what the flowers look like. Are the leaves fuzzy?

Mike

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Carolyn,
    Any idea if there are flower pictures of microstemma out there?
    Is doithung a diversifolia relative?
    So many hoyas, so little room left...
    Kelly

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, I'll have to look again, in a bit at the leaves, but I think they were smooth (they are at a glance, at least).

Kelly, not sure . . . I'll check.

Carolyn

PS Thank goodness those garden gnomes are gone! They were making me nuts!!!!

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

I have seen this species also referred to as Hoya sp. Doi Tung and it seems to have been collected in Thailand. I believe that this Hoya is a species and not a cultivar. If it is a cultivar/hybrid it must be a naturally occurring one.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Doi Tung Thailand

• mayyan
    13 years ago

Mike, I recently got Hoya sp. Doithung from Aleyagarden and it's leaves are not fuzzy.

mayyan

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Thanks Mayyan.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I took a quick look . . . because the leaves are falling off . . . mine were hairy on the underside (not what I would consider fuzzy), but smooth on top.

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, the leaves just look like the would be fuzzy or at least they have a matte look to them.

Mike

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, they reshipped the 17 dead ones, today . . . EMS. Cross your fingers for me.

Oh, my live ones, quickly died . . . too much stress, I suppose. :(

Carolyn

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Did you soak and then bag the cuttings? I find that I always have to give them a good soak and then I pamper them with as close to 100% humidity as I can offer and bright light/warmth.

I hope your replacements do well for you.

Mike

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Good luck Carolyn, keeping fingers crossed they arrive much sooner and are all healthy!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

I am crossing my fingers for you.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I hope they all make it safely to you!

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, they shipped them Tuesday and now they're in the USPS system. Lookin' good!

Mike, cv. Doithung didn't make it. It's toast. Too much stress in travel, I suppose. :(

Carolyn

• kellyknits
    13 years ago

Carolyn,
    Does the USPS system say where your package is today? Will be curious...Aleya sent me an email recently saying that envelopes of cuttings are some times taking less time than packages, so I decided to give it a try. Mine shipped on Tuesday as well.
    Have to say it's driving me a little crazy not to have a tracking number!
    Kelly

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the cuttings have made it through customs. We'll see how fast they get here, now

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They're here! And beautiful!!! :) Honestly, though . . . I don't think I'll order from them again. I'm very lucky customs didn't open the box . . . they forgot to put my permit inside. :(

Carolyn

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congrats Carolyn!! Great news they got there so quickly and they're beautiful too! Very lucky indeed! Enjoy them!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Lucky lucky lucky! enjoy your cuttings.

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a suggestion . . . if ever you DO order from Aleya Garden, order 10-11 cuttings. You get a 20% discount for 10 or more, and a permit is not necessary if you order less than 13. And pay for the EMS! Oh, and tell them NOT to put a plastic bag around the entire order. That was DEATH for all in the last shipment. That stupid bag. :(

Carolyn

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

Carolyn,

How your cuts is doing?????

• wrynsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Most are doing fantastic! I'm pretty sure that everything that lived over a day or two has roots and will soon have new growth. :)

Carolyn

• mitzicos
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that they are ok! Good luck to you!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting