Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoya with leprosy?

Posted by banannas 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 4:36

Hi all,

It has been a wild summer of family reunions, white water rafting, presenting my research at conferences, falling for a new guy and travel here there and everywhere. So sorry for being out of contact. Now that I have been home for a few days and have started to unpack, buy groceries and tend to my plants I have noticed some funky leaves on my unidentified but suspected carnosa. I did find some mealies on it and took them to task with some physan 20 and a q-tip. They look so different than the others and this abnormality isn't limited to just one vine. Is there something wrong with it? and if so what should I do?

Thanks,

Anne

IMG_0222

IMG_0223

Here are some side by side comparisons of the normal leaves

IMG_0224

IMG_0225

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoya with leprosy?

This is what happens to a new leaf if mealies are present while it is developing. The fact that they (mealies) are sucking fluids from the leaf means that the resulting scar tissue, however minute will result in leaf deformity.

Mike

o

Hm, that IS odd. Could be mealy damage, but I'd think if they did that much damage, it would be so obviously infested, you'd be tossing it out. It almost looks like something like a chemical got "oversprayed" onto it. Is that possible? Personally, I would cut off all the vines with the gnarly growth and see if the new ones that are generated by the pruning are ok.

Denise in Omaha

o

Yeah I only found six on the whole plant. I just went over it again and can't find any more (mealies). I'll try to keep a better eye on it. In a way I think that they look kind of cool I just was worried that it was disease that could spread to the rest of the plant or my others but now I may just leave it :) Thanks for the advice Denis and Mike!!!

o

I find it's not so much the adult mealies that cause this damage it's the tiny crawlers that attack the leaves while they are just starting to develop. I have a big Hoya carnosa that periodically gets mealy outbreaks and if I don't catch it on time the new leaves end up just like the ones in your photos.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here