Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IDs can drive me crazy!!

Posted by denise 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 9:01

I have a Hoya I thought was naumanii. The tag was missing, but I found an old photo of it (same pot and everything) and thought I had it figured out. Well, yesterday, I'm moving a plant and found it had an old DL tag, still securely on it, that said naumanii. Now it's not impossible, exactly, that it could have fallen off and I put it back on and got it on the wrong plant, but that doesn't seem terribly likely. When I look up photos of naumanii, it looks more like the one w/o the DL tag. But you know how photos can be deceiving... This first post, I will put the one that has the naumanii tag. Leaves are a lighter green, a bit smaller (though not significantly - I'd call them med-large leaves), not exactly thin like multiflora, but thinner than the other mystery candidate...

Denise in Omaha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IDs can drive me crazy!!

...And here is the other. This is the one that looks like photos of naumannii in my eyes. Leaves are much rounder, a deep green. Now I will add here that I moved this one into a shadier spot a few weeks ago, which could account for the deeper green leaves, while the other has been in a higher light spot. Can anyone help me? And perhaps make a suggestion what the other one might be!

Denise in Omaha

o

The top photo looks like my naumanii. If I saw the bottom one unlabeled in my collection, my gut would say cv Joy, but idk what you have in your collection. I'm sure there are other candidates.

o

Denise, I can't see the first pic, but the second ones doesn't look like my naumannii at all.

Renee

o

Here's a shot of my cv Joy's leaves:

Hoya cv Joy

o

Ding-ding-ding, I think we have a winner! I haven't been able to find my cv. Joy (and I didn't remember losing it...) so I bet that's it. Thank you for the help, ladies!

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise, check on the suspected 'Joy' the place where a leaf connects to the petiole. That place / transition looks interesting on this plant. Also, petioles are much thicker than the stems.

I hope you don't lose your Joy again. Nobody should live without Joy. :-)

I am no help with the other one, sorry.

o

Joy is the only one of my cuttings that didn't make it this season.

Denise: Your variegated macrophylla (think that's it) is growing leaps and bounds. I find a new leaf practically every few days.

o

Susan, that variegated mac is the only variegate I've ever grown that actually grows faster than the green version. I'm hoping to acquire the 'Pot of Gold' clone someday - I'm betting it doesn't grow as fast!

Denise in Omaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here