Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sberg_gw

hoya sp. square leaf now has a name?

sberg
12 years ago

There's a message on Joni's website indicating Hoya sp. square leaf is now Hoya rotundiflora....does anyone know anything about this? I noticed there's already a Hoya rotundifolia, which might be confusing...anyhow, I found it interesting but was hoping for more information...thanks to anyone who can share...

Shelley

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: sp. rotundiflora

• sberg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow GG, that was like magic they way you did that! Thanks! And very interesting too....

Shelley

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I'm NOT a big fan of that new name for Sp. square,lol...maybe it will grow on me? I prefer the old name personally.

GG, I sent you an email...please lmk if you didn't get it? Thanks!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I had noticed the recent verification of the name Hoya rotundiflora and although it is aptly named I think most of us think immediately about the unique leaf shape of this species vs those little round ball like flowers.

Mike

• sberg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree--the name makes sense to me...the flowers are round (rotund) and do look a lot like a rotunda (think Capital dome)...I'm not sure what the Latin for "square" is, but I suppose they could have named it after the leaf instead of the flower...I was especially interested to note that it's related to H. thompsonii...I can see that too...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The name is not necessarily new and may have been published in the past with only now having this still relatively newly collected plant identified.

Mike

• sberg
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the name is new---look at GG's link...the taxonomy lists "Hoya rotundiflora, Rodda & Simonsson, sp. nov. and it's referred to as an "undescribed species"...it did not appear on the one check list of flora from Myanmar that currently exists...It sounds like Rodda and Simonsson actually came up with a new name for a new species...

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Yeah it helps when I actually look at the link, sorry GG.
    This is in fact a newly published name then, thanks Sberg. :)

Mike

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I am also partial to the unofficial name sp. square leaf. Isn't that just what we deserve for complaining all the time that no one has gotten around to publishing such a cute plant? Now that it's published we have to complain that it wasn't named the way we want it. xD I was going through the same thought process as Shelley(e.g. What's Latin for square) on the walk to work.

lol Shelley. It was a bit like magic on my end, too. The first link I clicked had exactly what I wanted. It's always a bit eerie when the internet behaves too much. :P

I was gratified to hear it's related to thompsonii, as I've compared the two before, and subsequently wondered if I was just thinking like a n00b. I've come a long ways, but I still haven't gotten my expert eyes yet.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH