Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alaizabelle

New to Hoyas :)

alaizabelle
13 years ago

Last week I got my very first (and second) hoyas! One is labeled 'fishtail' and the other 'rope'. I think I must have looked very excited, because they also gave me a cutting of one labeled 'Rubra'.

I grow many other houseplants with a very good success rate (probably in thanks to my near obsessive search for tips and tricks in their care!) My house is very open with lots of windows, and suffers from eternal internal temperature control of 74 degrees F. I also have a giant vine covered trellis over my patio where I could hang them.

Would you suggest keeping them inside, or out for now? Any tips for making them happy?

Comments (6)

• Denise
    13 years ago

Outside is ok in a very shady location. They'll do great outside but they do sunburn easily, so protect them!

Denise in Omaha

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Your fishtail is a polyneura, your rope is a compacta, and Rubra is probably a Krimson Princess but maybe a Krimson Queen. The place outside that you described sounds perfect for these guys. During the summer I have to water mine daily even though they like to stay on the dry side.

If they are in soil that holds moisture, I would suggest repotting them in a fast draining mix before you bring them inside for the winter, if not sooner.

Each of these varieties will have very similar likes and dislikes but you can search the forum for more specific info on each one.

Welcome to the obsession!

• grmadarr
    13 years ago

I am also a new hoya grower. I have only two right now but am looking for more. Do you go to nurseries or where to get plants. I got my last one(Bilobata) at Lowe's but that's about all they had there.I'M out there looking!!
    I had a Compacta (Rope) many years ago...before PC's. I would like to find another one now that I'm addicted. Ha!
    Good Luck!

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Welcome alaizabelle!

I used to grow polyneura (the fishtail one) and got cuttings of the rope hoya this spring/early summer. I did grow Rubra (does yours have white in the middle of the leaf?) but gave it away.

The folks on here are very helpful with growing tips and advice. If you're looking for cuttings, check out the exchange page. I got most of my hoyas from there.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• alaizabelle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Rubra does have white in the middle of the leaves.

The other two plants are seeming to be doing opposite things. The rope is doing great, but the fishtail one has yellowing leaves.

Would an african violet mix work for hoyas? (a 1 part soil, 2 parts vermiculite, 2 parts perlite mix) The mix they are in seems to stay too wet from what I've heard they like, so I would like to repot them soon.

Also, I'll post pictures of them in a bit :)

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Everyone here has their own mix they favor and personally I'm still running trials to decide what works best for me.

That said, I started many of my early hoyas on a mix similar to the one you describe and they do just fine in it. So, if you want to start with a mix where you know how it handles, you won't run into problems.

It's my understanding that they changed the EA mix and it isn't so bad now, but I repotted mine too lol.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions