Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blooming today...

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 10:17

Multiflora! First time! No time to post pics now, but it looks like a herd of wild horses running towards you. Or so it seems to me : ) I have been wick watering it, and it loves it. Except for a small bout against spider mites, it has been doing well since its conversion to wick watering. Hooray!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blooming today...

lol Awesome description, Quinn. I can totally see that. Congratulations on your hard-won success.

o

Here is the herd of wild horses, ha:

Hoya multiflora

Hoya multiflora

o

Great photos! I love multiflora because it's unique flowers and it flowers often.
Good job!
Jan

o

Hi Quinn,
I believe you've got H. javanica! It is very similar to H. multiflora that most don't realize there are two different species.
For more info...check out this link.
Well cannot post the link since it was 'zapped' by security.
I'll Gmail you this link...if I can?

o

Here is the best I can do now that Stemma is history and I can't find David Liddle's photo page either.
Look at the tip of the corona to see if they arch inward as in multiflora or if the tips are bent outward like javanica or C. floribunda.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya multiflora montage

o

Hmmm, fascinating! After checking out both sets of photos (thanks to both of you, by the way!) and comparing them with my pics, I believe it IS javanica. Not that it mattered either way, but it is always nice to know what you have. Now what to do about the fact that 'multiflora' is literally written on one of its leaves? Will it have an identity crisis? : )

It's got another peduncle going already. Fun! I don't even think the cutting is a foot tall yet. I did have to stake it now that it has the extra weight of blooms, though. It started leaning over to one side a lot.

So this brings my count of hoyas that have bloomed for me up to 3: this guy, wayetti, and speckled lacunosa. And two out of the three turned out to be something else: javanica instead of multiflora, and wayetti instead of kentiana.

o

My plant isn't Hoya multiflora either but I refer to it as that species for some reason. The Epiphtica page has some good photos of both species on page three of the Hoya section.
If you notice a smell from the blooms can you report back to us? According to the photo montage my plant is Cyrtoceras floribunda and it seems to have a faint scent during the late mornings sometimes.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Epiphytica

o

Very nice pics Quinn!!! I have always assumed that mine was multiflora as well. It's got buds that should be open any day now so I guess I should go by the chart and see what I actually have!!

david

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here