Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

My Hoya Sp. Square and Ssp. Carnosa

haxuan
14 years ago

My sp. Square has grown well over the past few months, but still no peduncles yet except for the old one that never developed.

{{gwi:973241}}

My ssp. Carnosa is about to bloom. There're several peduncles on it. I love this hoya so much for its big bloom.

{{gwi:973242}}

Thanks for looking.

Xuan

Comments (19)

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Plants Xuan. I got a Hoya sp. square this spring but it has not grown an inch. The buds on your carnosa ssp carnosa are beautiful in their own right.

Mike

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Wow, great plants, Xuan! I love the buds on the ssp carnosa.

How old is your sp. square? I have this plant, but it has been very slow growing. Maybe I need to move my plant to a clay pot? I wonder if that would help?

Thanks for posting the photos!
    Mike

• cpawl
    14 years ago

Xuan Love your H.square leaf.I am also getting this plant soon I hope it grows as nicely as yours.

Cindy

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Xuan, Good growing!
    Pretty buds!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Xuan,

What a gorgeous Sp. Square!! It is so BIG and healthy, you are my hoya hero,lol...I've heard what a slow grower this is from most people except for you Xuan. Obviously you are doing the right things. Mike, maybe the clay pot helps?

I love the speckles all over your Carnosa buds it is so cool! What kind of Carnosa is that...just the reg. one?

Thanks for sharing!!

• treelover3
    14 years ago

puglvr1,
    It's Hoya carnosa var carnosa. You can find it on the vendor that must not be mentioned website. If you search for hoya and hawaii you will find it. It says the plant is not available right now. You can see from Xuan's photo that this is the plant.
    Mike

• suetran1
    14 years ago

Hi Xuan
    Nice plant!! Dalat really a good place to grow hoya.
    I was curious about sp carnosa, please post the picture when it open.
    sue

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Mike, thanks for the explanation on her Carnosa...I had no idea. Will look into the info you gave me, thanks :o)

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your nice compliments.

I got this square leaf hoya last September. It was quite large then already. Here's a photo of its first days.

{{gwi:973243}}

I noticed also that it was slow but it did grow. Then I moved it to a brighter place in my shade house and it started growing like mad, putting out a lot of new leafless vines. Now I see many tiny leaves growing. I hope I will see peduncles soon.

Sue: Here's a photo of last year's blooms on my Ssp. carnosa for your viewing. The plant has more peduncles this year so I'm looking forward to a better show :-o)

{{gwi:973244}}

Hope you enjoy.

Xuan

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

... the Apodogis guy (Sutthisak) said that my ssp. carnosa is, indeed, not a ssp. carnosa. He said it could be Hoya mekongensis (?), but I could not find any photos of that hoya on the net to compare :-o(

Xuan

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Wow...that sp. Square is HUGE! Thanks for sharing. My first one died, and my second one that I got from Thailand is doing really well - it's growing much faster than I thought. But it will take years to get as large as yours!! Great growing!

Gabi

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Xuan I think Sutthisak probably knows his Hoyas pretty well. Hoya mekongensis is a new species for me to. I still remember your photo from last year because it made such an impression on me. That is one gorgeous Hoya and I can't wait to see it flower again this year.

Thanks for the tip concerning light levels for Hoya sp square. I will have to move my plant to a brighter spot because it is currently in a pretty shady spot.

Mike

• suetran1
    14 years ago

Xuan, I really like this hoya mekongensis.
    I wondering if this plant for sale in the US? Anyone know?
    sue

• johanna76
    14 years ago

GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for the pics! It gives me something to aspire too!

• inlovewithhoyas
    14 years ago

Xuan those hoyas look marvelouse! Beautiful leaves and I love the blooms.

Nae boston

• haxuan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your interest in my hoyas. I will post pics of the mekongensis (?) when it blooms.

Xuan

• Denise
    14 years ago

That sp. Square is so cool. I may have to order that one from Liddle, assuming he has it... I finding I like that blunt-tip look. This spring, I got a cutting of H. deykeae and though it hasn't grown much, I do love it for the blunt-tipped leaves...

And as for carnosa ssp. carnosa, I've had mine for a few years and, so far, no sign of peduncles. But I love it for the narrow, bright green leaves with the deep crease down the center. It's a lovely plant, even if it never blooms!

Denise in Omaha

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Great looking plants, the flowers are bonus for sure.
    Good growing.

• pepeuve
    14 years ago

this is the blog about my hoya carnosa mother (21 years old) and some of the "children"

http://hoyaspepeuve.blogspot.com/

I hope you like it.

Best Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Las hoyas malagueñas de pepeuve