Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poseidon24a

My trip to SRQ

marco
12 years ago

Hello everyone. This past Tuesday, I got to meeat Joni at SRQ and pick up some plants. Her place is only 55 highway miles from my apartment, very convenient. I got to meet her helper and her beautiful red poodle 'Nico' and received a nice tour of her operation and the various places she keeps her hoyas. I saw the area where the 'parent' plants, from which she takes her cuttings were hanging, also the humungous room in which her helper was tenaciously potting the rooted ones. There were rows and rows of tables of those small plastic square pots with yellow lables containing those little beauties that we all love.

My needs were met with 2 Bella var. and a cv.Mathilde which I repotted into the small hanging pots I got from Joni.When she picks them out to ship, she always looks for the right plant by chosing the one that she would want. Now that is exceptional service!

First the Bella

Then the cv.Mathilde

And them, hanging on either side of my KP

All in all, it was a wonderful trip that took less than an hours time to drive and I got to meet some excellent people and really get bitten by the Hoya bug. I am trying to re-arrang my apartment to accommodate a few more additions as I type this.

I would like to thank the great people here on the GW for sharing their knowelge and for also pointing out the SRQ site that allowed me to meet Joni in the first place.

Thank you Joni for your hospitality, you made my trip a pleasurable one, for sure.

Poseidon24

Comments (9)

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Oh how lucky are you?!?!?!

If I were in Florida, that would definitely be on the top of my list (Take that, Oma! j/k). Your plants are super cute in their new baskets and I am glad you made the trip so you could tell all the rest of us curious souls about it. ^_^

I grew up with an apricot standard poodle and that is a beautiful color.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Oh how fun. I visited an epi nursery once that was enormous, and I have gone up to Kartuz's nursery lots of times. Fun days and definately gives you the WANT MORE bug. Ha. I love your plant window, but I see many more in there in the future since you live close to Joni. Ha.
    I love H. mathilda!! One of my favs. I kept killing my variegated bellas, however I have been able to keep the regular one. Never could figure that out.

• Harrison871
    12 years ago

Where is Florida does Joni live? I'm from the Ft Lauderdale area (still living here too). That is soo cool that you got to meet her in person. I'm saving money so that I can grab a few plants from her before the end of the month.

• cpawl
    12 years ago

All I can say is you lucky duck.

• marco
    Original Author
    12 years ago

GG, I felt very lucky to have met Joni and have her pick out my plants, she is a wonderful person and I enjoyed our time together. Her red poodle Nico actually looked like her coat was an auburn/chocolate color but Joni told me she was red but the summer sun had darkened her color. I then asked her if the dogs coat had 'reverted' lol. Apricot is a pretty color no matter if it is a flower or an animal, I wholly agree with you on that.

mairzy, like you, Joni also 'saw' more room for Hoyas so I will have to re-arrange things a bit and then build up my collection with another fun day trip down the highway. That aught to motivate me. Now, I need to save up again and toss out some furniture to make room for them. The cv.Mathilde is a beauty with new growth on 3 seperate vines, 2 of which are over a foot long. The bellas are so cute in their pot and I am going to baby them until they grow up nice and big and I am going to keep showing it a pic of Sue Trans bella that GG sent me the link to on another thread. The huge thing looked like a tree and had countless blooms on each branch. That was what sold me on the bellas. They are just the right size to 'dote' on.

Melissa, SRQ are the call letters that identify the Sarasota airport, that is where Joni came up with the name. Her place is in Sarasota. You could probably cross alligator alley and shoot straight up 75 to Sarasota in about 2 hours I would guess. That would cost around the same as shipping and waiting for them to arrive, perhaps? I provided the link to Joni's site at the end of this post.

Moonwolf, I remember reading in another thread that you had a sq. leaf on your wish list. I saw them all potted up and waiting to find a home, boy did they look cute !

I would advise anyone within driving distance to contact Joni and set up an appointment. You will not be disappointed I can promise you that. She is an absolutely wonderful person of exceptional quality.

cpawl, that is exactly what I felt like !

poseidon

Here is a link that might be useful: SRQ Hoyas

• Harrison871
    12 years ago

That's really cool. I went to college in st petersburg. I will most likely have to have the plants shipped since now a days i don't get alot of free time to go anywhere other the work and home. The next time I head to st pete I will plan to stop at Joni's ;P

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I am so glad you had restraint and only came home with a few plants. I probably would not have been able to only buy a few and I would have came home with 50 new hoyas with nowhere to put them.

You are so lucky to be so close.

Michelle

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

You are very lucky to go see Joni's nursery! Oh what a sight that must have been to see all those hoyas! Yes I do have Sq. Leaf on my wish list! Christmas is coming after all lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I just got square leaf from Joni (along with 5 others) and I am not dissapointed! It is so adorable!

I have wanted to visit Joni for ages but Florida is a long way from Oklahoma. If I ever do, I'm taking as much spending money as possible!

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH