Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H. Onychoides

Posted by moonwolf 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 12:09

Hi everyone,

Well, it's happened. The bug bit me again and I'm on the hunt for onychoides! I have decided to trade away my diversifolia for it. Anyone have any growing tips to share for growing this one?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H. Onychoides

Brad,

You can get one from Gardino's, though I see they're out right now. You probably know they'll put you on a waiting list and notify you when it's available. I got mine from them 2 years ago.

Mine sits on the top shelf in the GH, so it gets lots of sun and heat, and it's quite a water guzzler. It's one that tends to be the last to start growing for me and has a short period that it actually does grow. But while it grows, it grows FAST.

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise, I did see Gardinos's has is listed. Do you think a self-watering pot might be the way to go with onychoides?
I read it does love moisture.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Brad,

I don't do self-watering pots myself. I like to have control of the watering. But there are some that swear by it. I would say it's not "moisture loving", but that it dries fast. It's a subtle difference. Multiflora (javanica) is "moisture loving" - doesn't want to go dry at ALL. I've thought about trying the self watering pots with that one. Ones like onychoides (macgillivrayii, archboliana...), they just "suck up" the water quickly, needing watered more often. I let them get dry, but it takes far less time than most Hoyas.

Denise in Omaha

o

Denise, I do have my compacta in a self watering pot and it loves it! I just might put it in a regular pot then.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

You could get a cutting from Joni at SRQhoyas. They are easy to root. I accidently broke off one of the limbs of the one I bought from Joni so I put rooting hormone on it and stuck it in the pot. It rooted very easily. It is a large plant so as it grows it will need a lot of space. It hasn't bloomed yet but it is a nice plant with its big leaves even without blooming.

Michelle

o

Is H. Onychoides difficult to root?

Does anyone could share with me your experience with this one please?

Thank you

Mitzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here