Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cwcervantes

Hoya window

cwcervantes
12 years ago

Hello everyone! Thought I'd share a picture of my hoya grow area. It's a bay window above the kitchen sink.

Top left to right:

Hoya australis; Hoya ciliata; Hoya lacunosa; Hoya Monette; Hoya carnosa 'Krinkle Curl'

Bottom left to right:

Hoya carnosa tricolor; Hoya carnosa no cultivar name; and Hoya carnosa no cultivar name

Comments (8)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Oh, my! With a lineup like that in there, you're going to have a serious jungle in there in no time at all! What direction does it face? They look happy!

Denise in Omaha

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It faces southwest. I hope there's enough light to bloom the ciliata and Monette. Guess we'll see!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

The light exposure sounds great but there will be space issues soon enough. Time for a bigger window and more Hoyas! LOL

Your two Eriostemmas will become very large and you might have to summer them outdoors if possible. Your window would be a great spot to grow some nice sized specimens of miniature Hoyas.

Mike

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How big will the eriostemmas get? should i put them outside now?

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Love that window, Cw. I used to have giant south-facing bay windows in my old apartment and I really miss them sometimes.

You may have to move these plants as they grow, but you'll have new small Hoyas to put in their place, no doubt! ^_~ It couldn't be a more perfect place for your Hoyas to get started.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

P's. The eriostemmas do get big fast, and the problem is that many of them have hard stems so they need a substantial trellis within the first year or two. I don't grow those two, so I'm not sure what they're like, but I suspect you should plan on growing them outdoors next summer already.

If you put them outside (gradually & indirect light), I'm sure they'd enjoy it, but if you want to keep a closer eye on them until you have a feel for them, they'll be fine where they are for now.

• cwcervantes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice! What's strange is that when I purchased them the vendor told me they'd do better outside in the high heat (90+ F). But they didn't grow at all outside and once I put them inside where the temp in that window is probably 80's they took off. So I wonder! I'll experiment !

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Well, sometimes it takes Hoyas a while to get going (as long as a year in some cases) after they've been relocated, so it could have just been a coincidence that they started growing then. But if one was to grow eriostemmas indoors, that location, with lots of sun and warm temperatures and humidity from the sink, would be the optimal one, so they're in good shape either way.

Let us know what the results of your experimentation are!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions