Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_baby

My HUGE hoya

flower_baby
11 years ago

The other day I stopped by a garage sale with a GIANT Hoya, and I just couldn't pass it up for $10.

I knew it was big, but i was shocked once I got it home and untangled it, the longest vine was over 12 feet long! The rest were between 9-11 feet long.

I didn't know what to do with it in my tiny apartment, I considered pruning it in half, but I couldn't brig myself to do it. So I hung it in the middle of a window, and wrapped the vines around a curtain rod (with no curtains) and now it is a swag of vines and I have Hoya "curtains" now :)

In the process of moving it, a long branch broke off and it was the branch that had the most peduncles on it :(

-- will a 6ft. vine root well?

I've only ever rooted short cuttings..

-- will the peduncles on they vine ever bloom if I get t rooted?

I would be so sad to lose all thoes buds! There were over 15 just on that one branch!

Also, I have some good news on another one of my hoyas.. 3 ears ago I got a Hoya from my grandma, and I brought it home. For 3 years I swear it did not grow an inch! It bloomed once and that was it.

I decided to prune it because I remember my grandma telling me she once pruned her larger Hoya and it started shooting out new leavse ad peduncles all over the place.

So I pruned mine, started watering it more, gave it some miracle grow, and opened the blinds in the window it was in all the way instead of halfway, And now it has about 40 new leaves all over and it looks really full an healthy! I'm hoping for some more peduncles since that Hoya only has 1.

Anyone have

Any tips for my larger Hoya from the garage sale?

I repotted it, have it some fresh soil, a little miracle grow, and accidentally pruned it when I was moving it (a bunch of leaves broke off and a few broken branches)

Do you do anything special for really big hoyas?

Comments (8)

• scsva
    11 years ago

Lucky you! I wonder if it is a carnosa. I think I would make cuttings (about 2 node cuttings) out of the long vine and that way you can make lots of little starts.

I love yard sales/garage sales but don't get to a lot of them and I have yet to find houseplants at any of them.

Susan

• emt23
    11 years ago

Wow, twelve feet long, nice! I would experiment as it sounds like you have plenty to work with. Plain old water with a dilute fertilizer, plastic bag moisture rooting, and I love using the gel type vase balls, rooting hormones, Hydroton. Do it all if you can and have the space. Searching this forum should come up with techniques others have used with photographs too. I have been successful at rooting the woodier vines.
    ~ Mary

• flower_baby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I do believe it is a carnosa.. But not positive.
    I always see different house plants at yard sales and I never can pass one up lol! I got a big pot of lots of baby aloe Vera for a dollar a few weeks ago!

Thanks for the rooting tips, I hope I get that big vine to root so I don't lose all thoes peduncles!

The person I got it from said they had it for 2 years and that it came with their house. They didn't know how long the person before them had it. Any guesses on how old it might be considering how huge it is??
    I wish I knew how to post pics on here from my iPhone :/

• flower_baby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I do believe it is a carnosa.. But not positive.
    I always see different house plants at yard sales and I never can pass one up lol! I got a big pot of lots of baby aloe Vera for a dollar a few weeks ago!

Thanks for the rooting tips, I hope I get that big vine to root so I don't lose all thoes peduncles!

The person I got it from said they had it for 2 years and that it came with their house. They didn't know how long the person before them had it. Any guesses on how old it might be considering how huge it is??
    I wish I knew how to post pics on here from my iPhone :/

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Hoya :). My guess is that it's highly likely that your plant is a carnosa. I would LOVE to find plants at a yard sale. I did luck out when I found some of the TRUE Christmas Cactus at a sale downtown and it was free! Just goes to show you never know what you'll find :).

Anyways, I have no guesses for an age on your plant, but it does sound like it's been around for quite awhile. When I root any of my house plant and Hoya cuttings, I always use soil and a rooting hormone.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    11 years ago

What an amazing score! I have seen a few big carnosas on craigslist here, but not for $10! That is awesome. I have no advice, but post a picture if you can!

xo
    kittee

• grmadarr
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone! I'm on and off so much but never post anything. I just had to tell Flower baby that I have a Carnosa about the same size as that one and it is 23 or 24 yrs. old. It did not bloom at all for about 18 yrs. and now all at once it is blooming like crazy!!

• plantomaniac08
    11 years ago

I'd like to see a picture of this monster.

Planto

Sponsored
More Discussions