Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitzicos

Hoyas travelling, need HELP

mitzicos
12 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought some hoyas during my visit to US and received many cuts, beautiful ones from special people of this forum, thank you to all of you.

I won't be able to carry all with my in my suitcase, during the trip we must sign a paper informing that we are not carrying plants, foods, and other things, so I'll be lying in the form, I'm a lawyer, work for the Justice Dept. in Brazil so the risk is too much, it is not a crime, of course, but it is not allowed!

So I'm going to send most of them by mail, I prepare something to mail them, as I know that they get dehydrated very fast during the long trip.

I would like to know what you guys thing about my idea, so please check the link below and tell me what do you think ok????

If this works I will have another way to import plants from Thailand, Hawaii and US.... hope it works as I think it will work...

Thanks and have a great weekend, people on the Irene zone, I'll be praying for all of you, so please keep safe.

Mitzi

http://s1024.photobucket.com/albums/y307/mitzicos/Hoyas%20travelling/

Comments (68)

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you Cindy, it was really a surprise to arrive so fast, only 3 days! Never happen before!

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm leaving LA in two hours and would like to thank you all for the gorgeous gifts I received here! My hoyas (part of them) is going to be delivered Today I think!!!!!! I'll keep you informed!

Mitzi

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

Mitzi,
    It was really nice meeting you. Sorry we couldn't get together again before you had to leave. Did you ever make it to the Galaria Mall?? Keep us posted on how your hoyas arrive.
    alba in Hawthorne

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

What a beautiful exchange here... truly, I have tears in my eyes.. never chatted with Mitzi.. just barely "joined up" here when she was leaving... I cannot wait to hear the next chapter!... lovely.. Eileen--with love from Vermont to Brazil!

• Ament
    12 years ago

I spent my spare time yesterday reading this thread, I was wondering how her trip ended. Did the hoyas make it? How are they and she doing? :)

~Tina

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alba, Tina, Eileen and all:

I arrived today yesterday and I'm already working, very very tired!

I'm so glad that my hoyas are here now, all I brought with me arrived well, except one that I bought from Ted Green that was dying in the hotel and I think will not survive, the others are ok. I still looking for two cuts that desapppeared in me luggage, I took everything out and cannot find two cuts. LOL

After work I'll have to check everything again and again.

@ Alba, I'm really sorry that we couldn't see each other one more time, but the time was so short for me to do everything I had to, and I had to spent some time with my aunt, she went many times at hotel to pick me up and to drive me to the places.

I went to the Galaria Mall twice, but I went early while you were working, so I didn't call you.

Next time I hope I can have more time so we can talk, talk and talk.

I think today I'll receive one box with the hoyas that I sent last week, didn't receive yesterday because it was holiday here.

As soon as they arrive, I'll let you know. Hope they arrive safe and healthy!

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alba, Tina, Eileen and all:

I arrived today yesterday and I'm already working, very very tired!

I'm so glad that my hoyas are here now, all I brought with me arrived well, except one that I bought from Ted Green that was dying in the hotel and I think will not survive, the others are ok. I still looking for two cuts that desapppeared in me luggage, I took everything out and cannot find two cuts. LOL

After work I'll have to check everything again and again.

@ Alba, I'm really sorry that we couldn't see each other one more time, but the time was so short for me to do everything I had to, and I had to spent some time with my aunt, she went many times at hotel to pick me up and to drive me to the places.

I went to the Galaria Mall twice, but I went early while you were working, so I didn't call you.

Next time I hope I can have more time so we can talk, talk and talk.

I think today I'll receive one box with the hoyas that I sent last week, didn't receive yesterday because it was holiday here.

As soon as they arrive, I'll let you know. Hope they arrive safe and healthy!

Mitzi

• Ament
    12 years ago

Very good to hear everything is all good, well, except the loss of two in the luggage and one sickly hoya. Maybe with luck, you can revive it? :) And hopefully you can find the two missing in the luggage.

~Tina

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tina,

I found the two missing hoyas today! I'm very glad that all the hoayas arrived safely!

Now I'm just wating the others that I sent by mail! Let's see how they will arrive.

Thanks

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Part of the hoyas I sent by mail arrived today, it seems pretty good.

I think the water helped to keep in good shape!

Mitzi

• Ament
    12 years ago

Very good! So glad you found the wanderers! Hehe! :) Considering they traveled in boxes in the mail, those look real good. Enjoy your new Hoyas Mitzi!

~Tina

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tina, I'm still waiting two more boxes!!!

Hope they come soon and arrive well!

Mitzi

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The other package is coming to my home, it is already open from customs!!!! With good luck will be here tomorrow or saturday because is coming from another town, Rio de Janeiro!

Mitzi

• Ament
    12 years ago

Wow Mizi! That is a lot of hoyas! :)

Hope they all make it safely and recover well for you.

~Tina

• alba_gardener
    12 years ago

Mitzi,
    Glad you are finally home, and your hoyas made it...yipeeee
    You collected quite a few hoyas, no wonder you had to mail them home , you were a busy lady while you were here... Well, if you ever come back to LA make sure you give me a call. Oh, and email me your aunts downtown address when you get a chance.I'll keep checking to see how your hoyas are doing. Good luck, you have a lot of work ahead of you.
    Alba in Hawthorne (:

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Mitzi... Yes ... you have a lot of hoyas!... Please keep us posted on how they do... they look great for all the traveling they've done!... Bravo Eileen

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Eileen,

Want to up date the hoyas in Brazil!!!!

Some were suppose to be delivered today, but I made a mistake with zip code and they didn't deliver, only monday if I'm luck, I can't believe that I wrote the wrong zip code, I'm so mad with myself!

And here is the pictures of part of the hoyas already potted:

And those are lost some where in Post Office....

I'm so curious about those because they came with this little bottle of water.....

Hope they arrive as soon as possible...

And now I have a little problem.... LOL, during the trip most of the hoyas lost their ID..... again I'll need help! Some I made pictures with their ID's but others I didn't... so I don't know who are who! Again my mistake, I feel very sorry about it, but now it is too late!

Mitzi

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Mitzi:... What a great job of potting everyone up... quite the collection there. They all look great. I was wondering about the one in the picture between the plastic shopping bag and the hoya you have "bagged"... the leaves are very different.. and I think I've noticed them in other hoya forums.. I love the leaves. Do you know which one that is? I hope they all do well for you... you've certainly put a lot of care, thought and love into getting them back home.. They look lovely to me!.. Eileen in Vermont

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Eileen,

The one you are talking about is Hoya Siariae, this one I bought from Ted Green, and for sure, it has beautiful leaves! I hope they all root fast and well.

Unfortunately some others lost their ID during the trip, and I need help from Janet, who gave me those, but Janet told me that she reads the threats but never write because she is shy.....

JANET please come to join us, I should not write anything because I make so many mistakes with English, but I think I can communicate and ask you all to excuse my English mistaken!

Janet is a very nice person with a lovely heart as Alba and many others here, I'm quite sure that everybody here are very special people, normally people that love plants and animals have a wonderful heart!

As for hoya siariae I tried to buy this hoya many times, but all sellers told me that this hoya wouldn't make the long trip, but in my experience this one has a good chance, but for sure dasyantha and cysthianta would not make the long trip. Dasyantha (which is in the plastic bag) did not make well from Hawaii to LA, only 3 days... so it would never resist 21 days for sure!

Mitzi from Brazil and now back in Brazil!!!!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Mitza mistakes happen, don't be too upset. Hopefully the plants arrive and will be alright. :) You did a spectacular job potting up everything. I expect you wore yourself out doing everything. They look wonderful! Thank you for taking time to share pictures with us!

~Tina

P.S. you may want to try a Forsythe pot on those real difficult to root ones. It may make it a little easier for you to root them. :)

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Mitzi,

Just want to say that I admire your passion and determination as well as your hoya haul. Your hoyas are beautiful, please keep posting about their status.

Lisa

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Eileen: The hoya you asked me is in fact Nicholsoniae and not Siariae as I said, sorry for my confusion! Siariae has the same colour leaf, but has different leaf!

@Tina: I really want to try the Forsythe with the next ones that are arriving, hopefully tomorrow, due to my terrible zip code mistake! I sent to my son's house, he moved while I was in US, and I got so nervous at the post office, that I made the big mistake to write a wrong number!

Let me tell you all what happen......

I went to to USPS to send the box, the attendant guy put my package on the scale to see how much it would cost, and I looked at the scale, the package was leaking!!!! Yes leaking, because I put some water (another story)!

He looked at me very serious and asked me "Mam can I tell you something?" I got freezen.... and I said yes, he told me if you change the box, you will save 20 dollars!!! And he went inside to the other room and came with another box, at the mean time I dried the water that was leaking. LOL!!!

When he came with the box he said, change the box and you will save your money.... I couldn't change the box, because plants are not allowed to be delivered.... so I said to the guy that I wouldn't do that because I had something to do and I'd come back later!!!! LOL.......... Then I went to a restaurant with the 2 boxes and made the change..... this makes me so nervous that I wrote the wrong zip code!!!!

The PERLITE......... LOL, another story!!! I bought Perlite in US, and was considering how should I bring it to Brasil, as we don't have perlite here, I thought that if I put it at my luggage it should be detected and they should open the luggage to inspect what was inside, so I thought the best thing to do was to carry it with me at my hand luggage, any problem I'd leave the package there! I had no problem at Los Angeles airport, they didn't ask me what was that package!

When I got in Mexico, I had to go to customs again and get my luggage and dispatch it again (very strange but it was that way), so I dispatch my luggage and went to check in the hand luggage, in the XR they asked me what was that package and I said it is for plants... they start to complain that I could not take that package with me, and I said that I was going to bring it, he explain that in Mexico it was not allowed, I understood and said that I want to take it, what do I have to do? He told me, you have to dispatch, but I didn't have anything to put the package, but I though ... I go outside again, buy anything and will dispatch the Perlite, I didn't find anything to buy like a purse box or a small suitcase, so the only thing that I had in hands (my hand luggage) was a very expensive purse that I was bringig as a gift!!!! The guy from customs said that the air company should have a box and I could use the box, but this was not true, they didn't have anything for me to use, and I didn't find anything at airport to buy! I took the purse and ask to the lady if I could dispatch the package inside that purse, she looked at me and asked me "are you sure you want to use this purse?" And I said... I'm positive!
    So I dispatch the perlite in a very expensive purse that was bought as a gift for my sister.... LOL!!!! Very good way of using the purse for the first time!!!!! And I had to open the perlite to take the air off in order to fit inside the purse!

Here is the perlite LOL

@Lisa, I love hoyas, and as I said many times here, in Brazil we just have the carnosa, and now some others of carnosa family! All the different hoyas must come overseas, which is an adventurer, because most of the don't resist the long trip!!! Most of them arrived DEAD!

So my trip was the only chance to bring the difficulties ones.

Just to have an idea of how many hoyas I losted see the tags that I starting keeping after many many others that I disposed.....

Mitzi from Brazil

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is an interesting article about the forsythe potting (must have PDF installed in your computer)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/DG4419.pdf

Mitzi from Brazil/Sao Paulo

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Mitzi... What a trooper!... Such dedication to get those babies back home!... Thankfully... you made it back home!!!! Eileen

• Ament
    12 years ago

Mitzi my friend, you are very dedicated to your hoya collection! LOL A purse? Whew! I hope it cleaned out alright? My gosh girl! All those tags?! What will you do to identify them now?? I cannot even figure it all out! Haha! That is crazy! Well... don't toss the tags, save them, at least you have a general idea on what will be what. Right? :)

The 20th of Sept. I will be heading to San Diego, for a family wedding. So maybe, Just Maybe I will get lucky and be able to purchase a few hoya on the way there and back. I hope...

~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Mitzi.

I just want to say a very hearty congratulations to you on getting your Hoyas all home safely!

That story about you panicking at the post office and subsequently writing the wrong zipcode was too funny and I know I can relate to it.

I agree that dasyantha is much fussier than one would expect, given the relatively succulent leaves. I don't know why this one is a prima donna but it is! I'm not sure if you were thinking of nicholsoniae or siariae when you were making your observations about siariae, but I do find that siariae tolerates travel quite well. It's tougher than it looks.

So, are you able yet to offer your opinion on whether the cuttings traveled better with water vials or with wet cotton? I believe you shipped 3 boxes, right? Or is the wet cotton box the one with the wrong zipcode? I'd definitely like to hear what the results are of your experiment!

I hope Janet is able to help you with your identifications (Hi Janet!), otherwise maybe you can post the pictures and the tags and we can take a stab at it.

/Ament.

I believe the tags photographed above belong to cuttings that died in transit, during Mitzi's long history of risky international Hoya orders. NOT anything to do with the plants that lost their tags this time. (Thank heavens! ^_~)

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi GG,

You are right! The tags belongs to the plants that died in transit, just part of them, and I started keeping the tags to check how many I lost, not related with this hoyas!!!

The one I told would make the long trip is Siariae, you're right again!!! It seems to be very succulent and I think would travel very well!

Janet told me that she will help me to identify the hoyas (thanks Janet), one day you will post here, don't be shy!

Well today I received the second box, the one with the wrong zip code! Thanks God I have friends at Post Office and they helped me to recover the box as fast as possible!

The ones that arrived today are those with plastic bags and wet cotton (cotton was the only thing I had available at hotel)!!!

You want to see the results?????

So I think the experience had a great result, what do you think???

Now I'm waiting only one box, the one with the hoyas in vials! But I think this box will take longer as the shipment code starting with LC is always a problem!!!!

Mitzi from Brazil

• Ament
    12 years ago

Ah man, that many lost because they couldn't survive transit? No wonder we have so few types of hoya! I am afraid I've been drug into a very bad habit my friends...a very bad habit! LOL Hoyas are so beautiful, I've never seen one in bloom in person, but seeing the ones online, I just love the blooms, so varied, so cute!

I need to get shelves built in my kitchen window for my plants, something terribly. LoL Hubby may not want to do it, so I may have to do this one on my own. But I'm well able to do so. Mitzi, where do you house all of these hoya? A green house? Do you grow them to sell in your country?

~Tina

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tina,

Those tags Tina are only a small parcel of all I lost in the past two years due to the distance, most of the hoyas arrive dead, dehidrated. After so many losses I started to keep the tags, just to have an idea what was gone!

Tina I live in a very small apartment (LOL) and keep all my hoyas with me, I have a ranch, close to my house, around 30 miles, but I don't leave my hoyas there, I want them close to me.

I don't sell hoyas, never did, I just love them and collect for my pleasure. Hoyas are a hobby for me not a business, many people asked me if I could sell some cuts, but I didn't. I gave several cuts of hoya carnosa, but never sold any.

My son moved from my house while I was in Los Angeles, so now I'll use his room to keep my hoyas, now I have a little more space for them!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Way to go, Mitzi! I am celebrating that the second box has arrived in such great shape. I have to confess I was very nervous for you, because I knew how much more protective you must feel about these cuttings because they were either:

a. Precious gifts from friends
    b. Difficult cuttings you were hoping might survive this time, under these special circumstances

... so it's super great that it looks like everything is in good shape to survive so far!

From one apartment-dweller to another, I am so envious that you now have a whole room to take over! LOL!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Mitzi, I was just curious because of so many losses. :) I am glad you will have room for more hoyas. I'm getting ready to move an oak entertainment stand into a spare room to put plants onto. Mostly so the hoyas I bought get better lighting.

~Tina

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Mitzi...congratulations!! I'm so happy for you that most of your cuttings have arrived in such great shape! Now, I hope that they root/thrive/bloom for you. Best wishes!! Patrick

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ Tina,

The losses are due to the long distance the hoyas takes to arrive in Brazil, just to exemplify I bought 9 times megalaster and I don't have megalaster! LOL
    Eriostema Affinis I bought 5 times, but it didn't root for me, Janet gave me another one, but I think this one won't make too, maybe Affinis doesn't like me!

Patrick, they arrived in good shape, but they are recovering now, don't look very good, I think too much stress for them, but I'm sure they will recover.

As soon as they get better I'll have the play a game with all of you (need help)!!!!

I'll make a hoya puzzle in order to identify they correctly.

I received all cuts properly identified, but I lost their ID during the bath at hotel and the transportation to Brazil, so I'll post some pictures of all that lost their ID and the names of the plants received and ask the help of all the hoya's experts!

Thank you everyone who participate with me of my trip to US, my hoya hunting and of course my special friends Janet, Alba and the other friend, you all are here now, with me, in the plants you generously gave me, whenever I look for the plants I will always remember each of you, and thanks GOD that we will keep in touch through facebook! I love technology!

Mitzi from Brazil

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Mitzi!... You go girl... I think those plants look great considering how far and and long they've traveled. With all the loving energy you put into them, they should do well!.. We're all "rooting" for you... can't believe I just said that!... hugs, Eileen in getting chilly now Vermont!

• Ament
    12 years ago

Mitzi, I pray you get the one you have to get roots. Just rotten luck. :( It can be so miserable trying over and over. Hoping you get this one to grow for you! ~Tina

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

ROFL Eileen.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everybody,

Today my last box arrived from LA, after aproximately one month travelling.

This box was the one with the vials, and here is the result:

Isn't it just great????

Mitzi from Brazil

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Mitzi,

They look great! Maybe you should keep the vials and next time you feel a need to order, ship them to the grower and ask the grower to use them. Or...if you're placing a large order, ask them to provide them for you.

Lisa

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I'm considering to order only with those vials!!!! It made the difference for sure!

Mitzi

• cpawl
    12 years ago

They look great Mitzi.Where did you find those vials.I have not seen them before.

Cindy

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I bought it in Los Angeles, they were very cheap and made the difference for sure.

I paid 0,15 cents for each and I bought it in Inglewood, I just search at google and found a place very close to the hotel that sell it, I think anywhere you can find it.

Mitzi

• cpawl
    12 years ago

What type of store did you get them from? So I know where to look.

Cindy

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Mitzi,

Parabems, they look fabulous, surviving the trip so well!

Hi Cindy,

I'd mentioned elsewhere to Mitzi when she posted about these that I'd recently used these vials on a swap w/someone here & the plants did well.

I got them in a flower market where they sold stem Orchids, that's how they sold them & what they were in during the day while on display. You might try floral suppliers or Orchid vendors. HTH

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Mitzi, Wow...you did great getting all those hoyas through customs! What a very nice collection you have, Congrats! How lucky you are you got the cuttings thrrough Brazil customs. I would have been so scared to sneak them in and get a huge fine,lol...did they see the cuttings or did you get lucky and they never noticed them in your luggage?

Those vials seemed to work well for you. PG, thanks for letting us know where they sell them.

Good luck with all your beautiful hoyas...hope they all grow well for you! Thanks for sharing your story and adventure with all of us.

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi girls,

Cindy I bought the vials on a market flower where they sell flowers in cuts like roses, orchids and others.

puglvr1 those cuts came by mail, I only bought in my luggage the fragiles ones, only 10 or 15 inside the pants, LOL, and they passed through customs with no problem, I even lost 2 cuts after arriving, I could not find them in my clothes!!!!

It was a great pleasure to share with all of you my Los Angeles Adventurer TRIP!!!! I'm returning on my next vacation but probably going to Florida where hoyas are more common, because in Los Angeles I didn't find any!!!! So I had to buy some from Ted Green and did not buy more because I was very scared about bringing them to Brazil, now I'm more confident than ever!!! And I know already that I can ship them in the vials and they will arrive just perfect!

We all could go to Thailand, let's make a nice trip together all the hoya lovers in Thailand! Let's plan!!!

Mitzi

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Next time root them as single node cuttings in smaller pots. Try LFS with perlite or bark is a good start. Keep moist and in a humid atmosphere. Good light for good shoot development.

The larger pots can lead to dampening off and will be difficult to start new tender roots in such a large volume of media.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

The ones in the viles look amazing for traveling that long. Some look like you just picked them. Wow!

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mairzy dotes:

The all experience was to ship in order to avoid dehydration, what always occur when we bring hoyas overseas! And I think it worked perfectly well.

Now I'm going to order some more cuts and ask the sellers to do that to see if it work again, if so this will be my method to receive cuts from long distances.

RainforestGuy

Thank you for the tips! I will try next time.

Mitzi

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Mtizi I can't believe how good those cuttings look after such a long trip. This is so much better than you have become used to, maybe only one of those cuttings will not make it.

Congratulations your experiment was a success!

Mike

• mitzicos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

I'm very glad with the success of my experience! The only one that might not survive is the one that the vial was empty (no water), I don't know why but the water leaked during the trip.

I knew that most of you guys were supporting me in this issue, so I feel very glad to let you all know what happened! I still have some hoyas to identify... I hope somebody can help me! Thanks a lot.

Mitzi

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions