Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

I'm So Relieved! :)

moonwolf_gw
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sorry I haven't been as active lately, but I just wanted to stop in and say those cuttings I got a little while back are just sprouting growth right and left and I feel a sense of accomplishment and relief that they pulled through. If I have time, I will post a picture later on of the cuttings.

How's everyone and their plants doing?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (4)

• emt23
    11 years ago

That is nice to know Brad. With the heat I have nothing remarkable going on and the recent cuttings I have purchased are doing well rooting in gel balls that Pepeuve showed us a while back. I also have some in Hydroton like Renee had shown and they are doing well also. Using a fertizer of fish emulsion. The Thai/Epiphytica cuttings are coming along but growth is slow but as long as a strong root system forms it's all good. ~ Mary

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Hi, Brad! I'm glad to hear your cuttings are doing well. :)

My plants in general are doing well. My Hoyas are in differing states. H. lacunosa 'Sno Caps' is my worst grower...constantly losing leaves no matter what I do. My best is by far H. fitchii. It's popped out half a dozen leaves in the last few months and now it's starting to vine out.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary, yes this heat has been awful! My plants just keep plowing on through it though :-). Glad to hear your cuttings are doing well!

Goddess, Sno Caps is doing just the oppisite for me! It's a slow grower but I do see new growth on my plant! I had that trouble with my plain lacunosa a few years ago and it was mealybugs that was giving me trouble. Glad to hear your fitchii is doing well!

In the mail today, I got three new types of Hoya cuttings: cv. Mathilde and heushkeliana-yellow and pink!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• Denise
    11 years ago

This heat has been really hard on my plants. It's hard to water properly - the top becomes absolutely bone dry FAST, like within a day or two, so I think they need water. I water and the next thing I know, leaves are turning yellow. I know that means the lower part of the soil was still plenty moist when I added new water, but I'm afraid to ignore the super-dry feel of the surface. It's a quandry... Then I have several that have gotten sunburned in the intense heat. I know the sun isn't any more intense than in past years, but apparently the sun in combination with the horrendously high temps is enough to make them sunburn and wash-out. The plants in the house are doing fine - the GH, which is usually a blessing, feels kind of like a curse this year...

On the other hand, even the ones that are getting some sunburning are putting out new growth that's perfectly happy with this awful heat. For so many reasons, I'm actually looking forward to winter!

I ordered from Epiphytica this year - it didn't go well. The order got hung up at the USDA... Homeland Security decided it was one they would pull to inspect, then the USDA "lost it" for about 5 days. When it got to me, most of it looked ok, but within a few days, nearly all of them were obviously NOT going to make it. Of the dozen I ordered, 3 MAY make it, which at this point makes them about $70 apiece. Needless to say, I'm kicking myself, but I guess we all know the risks when it comes to ordering from overseas.

My trades, on the othe hand, are doing pretty good. Thank goodness for e-buds with Hoyas! LOL!

Denise in Omaha

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone