Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

Is this a Hoya?

greendale
9 years ago

Hi,

Is this a hoya or something else (like lipstick plant)? what kind if it is a Hoya? (please ignore the two small cuttings in the same pot).

Thanks a lot.

Comments (13)

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Looks like hoya carnosa.

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, no. Not a carnosa again. :(

I have a carnosa which is flowering right now. The leaves are different. It is much longer then this NOID one, but maybe you are right?

Thanks

• Denise
    9 years ago

Maybe motoskei?

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

There can be a lot of variety in carnosa leaves depending on where it is grown. I agree with GT that this is probably what it is.

Unfortunately, 99.9% (fictional statistic) of the Hoyas being propagated are carnosa, so they're just what you're most likely to end up with unless you make a concerted effort to deal with a Hoya vendor or collector.

Where did you get this one?

• greendale
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got this piece from my friend who bought his from a bbs (either Walmart or homedepot) without a tag. I did not think it is a carnosa otherwise, I would not ask him for a piece. :(

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

If it was bought at a BBS, it's almost certainly H. carnosa.

Could have been a H. motoskei otherwise.

• phfurballs
    9 years ago

Fwiw, one way to find out quickly if it's a carnosa, is to break off a stem tip. If the sap is clear, it's a carnosa, if it's milky white, it's not ! I find most carnosas have sap that smells a bit like chocolate, which is what their flowers smell like to me too. Most hoyas have the milky sap, but as has been said, carnosa is the one you are most likely to find in most stores. Some nurseries will have the odd one that's not.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

> If the sap is clear, it's a carnosa, if it's milky white, it's not !

Some carnosa relatives also have clear sap, so no point in doing it, especially considering they look alike.

• greedygh0st
    9 years ago

Aw, your frown emoticons are breaking my heart.

Yeah, when you start out collecting Hoyas, you end up with a lot of dashed hopes moments regarding BBS plants. There are around 10 different Hoya species (+ some cultivars) that you could potentially find at a BBS.

You should check out EA's Hoya page to see what they look like, in case you or your friend bump into them in future.

Aside from the carnosa cultivars, none of them are easy to confuse with your carnosa. Probably the most similar one is EA's Hoya australis, but I don't think you'd confuse them.

• susancarol
    9 years ago

Carnosas are beautiful in their own right. That is a beautiful carnosa that you have already, Greendale.

• phfurballs
    9 years ago

I didn't know there were hoyas with clear sap other than carnosa, so thanks for the info. But carnosa can be rewarding to grow. Used to have two named cultivars, H. c. Krimson Princess and Krimson Queen, which I grew together in one basket. I'm not sure why they did so well for me, but for the best part of fifteen years both of them bloomed faithfully from sometime in February to late November, every year.

If I can ever find one of my pics I'd post it. Fortunately I liked their fragrance, they smelled like chocolate to me. Both of these culitvars have pretty strongly variegated leaves, with Princess being more pink and Queen more dark red. Flowers were pink and dark red, respectively.

It was rare for there not to be at least a few open flowers on that basket at any given time during the bloom period. I always enjoyed having it around and was very sorry when I lost it. I never repotted them, being afraid I'd mess with their flowering and having read they liked being pot bound, and I've always wondered if that is why they eventually petered out.

• greentoe357
    9 years ago

Phfurballs, you sound like you need a hoya carnosa of one kind of another (or several!) in your life. :-) (And who doesn't? Am I right?) Luckily, they are relatively easy to find in decent size at your local Big Box store.

• phfurballs
    9 years ago

They are ridiculously easy to find, almost anywhere plants are sold, or so it seems. Four inch pots of the variegated types are almost always available and baskets of longer vines are in every nursery. BB stores often have them too. I have two garden centres I can get to that, on occasion, have odd varieties of hoya. I just got 3 new ones that I've never had before.. but carnosa will always be a fave with me. If I could get my hands on Krimson Queen or Princess again,it would be nice, though of course there's no guarantee I'd have the same success :-).

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors