Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kukka_gw

recommendations, please

kukka
12 years ago

Hi all, I need your advice. Someone has offered to sell me inexpensive cuttings. Dark autumn is coming, and I'll also be moving soon, so I'm feeling more cautious now than in the spring. Maybe I'll order just a few.

So, if you know any of these plants to have dramatic foliage or to be vigorous growers, please recommend!

This is what she has available at the moment:

H.calycina ssp. calycina

H.metallica

H.ischnopus

H.densifolia

H.colamcoiana

H.thomsonii

H.finlaysonii

H.kuching (walliniana)

I'm thinking at least thomsonii, but which would YOU choose and why?

Comments (7)

• theplanthoarder
    12 years ago

I have metallica/joy and it is a wonderful plant, the leaves are huge and speckled. I recommend that one and Hoya calycina. The thomsonii is a good choice, I have that one and it is cute.

Michelle

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Definitely get thompsonii! ^_^

I really like cv. Joy, which is a sister seed to cv. Metallica. It's a beautiful cultivar and, although I've only had it a short time and it is in a north window, it has grown pretty quickly for me. It does have dramatic foliage - the shape is very beautiful, it has pretty veining, and in strong light it gets a strong black outline along the edge.

At first I thought walliniana was going to be annoying, but I really like it now. It's one that just needs half a year to settle in and then it takes off. Its very pretty and different. Its foliage looks kind of halfway between lacunosa and sipitangensis, and seems to change its appearance a lot from birth to maturity. I can never quite put my finger on how to describe them b/c they never seem the same. Like, right now I have two that look like they are trying to mimick elliptica, but I'm sure they'll look different in a couple weeks.

I find finlaysonii a little temperamental when it is first getting established, but it seems easy and surprisingly fast growing thereafter. I have two of these and 3rd on the way, and I have to admit that I'm always tempted to ... get... more... finlaysonii.

I also have ischnopus and densifolia and both are very vigorous and likeable. I just felt a little odd telling you to buy ALL of them. ^_~

• kukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you to you both for your recommendations! I'm relieved to see that you like my first choices even after actually seeing them ;)

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Kukka,

I live in Minnesota which is one of the most northern states in the U.S. I have grown calycina for about a year and is grows very well (indoors, of course) for me. I do not give it supplemental light and it is in a southwest window. The only other one on your list that I grow is thompsonii but I just received it a few months ago. Hope this helps.

Lisa

• kukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Lisa, it does. I need to shop for supplemental lights, but I have lots of other stuff to get for the new home, too.
    I sent the seller some money and asked her to choose cuttings from the following list:

H.thomsonii
    H.metallica
    H.finlaysonii
    H.kuching (walliniana)
    H.calycina
    H.ischnopus.

I guess I would have bought all the cuttings if my H. anulata wasn't doing so poorly. My other plants have noticed the lowering light levels as well. Tenuipes doesn't seem to dry out at all.
    So, even if the cuttings were cheap, I need to give my existing plants some TLC first before buying tons of new ones.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Of the plants listed my first choice would be Hoya sp Kuching (aff walliniana) and then Hoya thompsonii.

Mike

• kukka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, it seems like she's sending me all six. What a nice lady!
    Also H. australis ssp. tenuipes got a nappy change today. I swear someone other than me has been watering it.