Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Hoya onychoides

puglvr1
12 years ago

I was pretty excited to see my very first onychoides buds finally open this morning! It seemed like forever, I thought it would never open! Here's a few pictures...Thanks for letting me share them with all of you!

{{gwi:975762}}

Comments (22)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Hey Pug! They're just gorgeous! They are (of course, I suppose) a lot like archboldiana. My archie bloomed once a couple years ago and that's the thing that sticks in my head - those ballooning buds that got bigger and bigger and BIGGER, thinking when will they EVER open?!! And it felt like a Broadway production when they did (I think I might have even heard some "TA-DA" style music in the background of my mind...)

Well, your onychoides bloom makes me very excited. Mine has been growing like never before this year, so I must now go search it thoroughly for peduncles. Thanks for sharing!

Denise in Omaha

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

Congrats, Pug! This is one of my favorites for flowers! I wish I had it in my collection again (had a cutting and it died). It's fun watching the buds grow and grow and in the meantime, your excitement is growing too lol! How long have you had your plant? Do you notice a fragrance? Some say it smells fresh like a gardenia :).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Nancy, the bloom is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. You are such an enabler. Now I've added that one to my list.

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

That's just beautiful! Looks like there's another on my ever-growing want list! lol

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Gorgeous flowers Pug,thanks for sharing.

Cindy

• marco
    12 years ago

Very beautiful, Pug. I hope the blooms last a long time for you and smell wonderful. Congrats ! ! And thanks for sharing them with us.

poseidon

• suetran1
    12 years ago

Congrats pug.
    Is that so nice to touch them, watching them developed everyday! I understand how excite you are.
    I have a small onychoides, it will take a few years to flower.
    My Mac. is look like your onychoides. After I posted on GW last month, it have flower again, and my archi also have flower every year.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

Denise,lol...I love your decription of "TA DA" Music moment, very fitting!

Brad, I've had it less than a year and a half. I forgot to smell it last night or this morning. Part of the problem when you grow them outside...the scent is usually not strong at all or you forget to smell them,lol... I will try to smell them tonight.

This is definitely a great one to add to your collection, mine isn't big at all and it bloomed pretty quickly, unlike my Imperialis which took much longer to bloom.

I'll let you know how long the blooms last...

Thanks again!

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Congratulations on blooming your onychoides pug! Those flowers are so impressive and unusual. Did you have success with the first time your plant produced a peduncle and buds?

Mike

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mike! Actually, this is the very first time I've had a peduncle/buds on my onychoides. What I meant was it took my imperialis almost 3 years before I saw my very first blooms and only a little over a year for my onychoides...hope that made sense :o)

I do know that I have many hoyas that I've had much longer and has never bloomed for me...I think luck plays a small role along with all the other factors involved.

BTW, I detected a weak, pleasant floral scent when I stuck my nose right up to the blooms this morning. It was a pleasant scent just very weak.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Great flowers, Nancy!
    The open flowers have a sort of vampiric look to them, as though they'll drop down
    onto unsuspecting creatures ;-)

Josh

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Just beautiful pug. I got one of these from SRQ during her last sale, and it has responded well here, seeing your pictures makes me even more excited about this plant.

Question for you though, how much light do you give this one in comparison to imperialis? Also, do you keep it moist, or let it dry out?

Thanks, Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Josh! Lol...actually my daughter said she's afraid of the flowers because it resembles a spider, ha!

Thanks Renee...this one gets about the same light as my Imperialis...VERY bright light but NO direct sun in summer. I do give it a little morning sun during the winter when the temps are in the 60's or cooler...but once the temps reach above that I have it in very bright indirect light. I keep the potting mix slightly "moist" in the summer (let it slightly dry out) and let it go very dry in the winter before I water.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

You know, this has always been a favorite of mine, because it's so elegant and trouble-free. I guess there's no direct correlation between showy and fussy.

I'm so glad you were able to share these great photos, though. I had no idea the buds and peduncle would be so fantastical. They are very art nouveau. That first photo is definitely my favorite one, but the whole progression you captured is just wonderful.

I do think that your daughter and Josh are right, though. It's one step away from being straight out of the pages of HP Lovecraft.

Anyway, Congratulations! And thanks for sharing all your notes.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol GG...Thanks! I was happy to post the pictures and share them with you guys. Today is day 3 and so far its still looks Great!

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Pug thanks for the culture advice. I had the onychoides in deep shade, I'll slowly transition it to brighter light. BTW - I always want to call this one ochynoides for some reason lol

And thanks for detailing the light level about the imperialis, I give mine a few hours of direct sun this time of year. And actually it's noon sun as well. Maybe that is why mine won't bloom like yours does. I'll have to reposition mine next year.

Although it's grown so much this past summer, I have no idea where I'm going to keep it this winter when it gets cold.

Renee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Renee...you're very welcome! I hope yours blooms for you soon. Funny! I'm sure you're not the first one to call it "ochynoides"...I've been known to come up with some pretty wild spellings or pronunciation on some of these hoyas...I'm so glad I don't have to pronounce most of them in front of people because I know I butcher the names...don't even get me started with the spelling!

• geosdee
    12 years ago

Beautiful Nancy, I think mine has developed a peduncle, I am anxiously awaiting further growth to see if it gets buds.

Renee - I have mine in bright indirect light outside and I keep mine on the damp side, when I try letting it start drying it gets upset so I just keep it a little damp. In the winter I do keep it drier though. Just thought it might help on a little opinion since I am just down the street.

Dee

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dee! Good luck with your peduncle, keep us posted!

Today is Day 8 and the bloom is still on the plant...although the color is slowly fading so I'm sure it won't last much longer. I love it when hoya blooms last at least a full week!

• alobo
    10 years ago

sorry the pictures everyone is talking about are not there anymore,
    It is a beautiful flower for its color from what i know

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

You know, I was going to comment on my dear friends plant until I saw the pic was deleted:-(

I'll bet they looked marvelous...Must I add this one to my collection Nancy? I'll bet it's a beauty!

MIke:-)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the picture from back in 2011...NO blooms yet this year :o(

"Must I add this one to my collection Nancy?

Mike I only have one answer to that Absolutely YES lol...enough said!! :o)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions