Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirate_girl

Holy Generosity Batman!

pirate_girl
11 years ago

I just received THE MOST AMAZING box of Hoya cuttings! Thank you, thank you, thank you, 'til I get to the private EM.

I must have been a very good girl at some point, to be gifted w/ such a wondrous gift. Little did the Gifter know my Birthday earlier this month & wasn't a great one at that.

Over the years I have swapped w/ some folks here, all of whom have been quite generous. I have ALWAYS been pleasantly surprised about that. Some have become friends & continued swapping & /or gifting as time & circumstances have allowed. I have always been grateful & appreciative.

Without naming the guilty parties, I wish to comment on what a generous bunch of folks we've got here. Always & without exception, thank you to you all.

Comments (18)

• scsva
    11 years ago

I'm really happy for you. Now, get growing so you can show us all your pictures.

You deserve it.

Susan

• emt23
    11 years ago

Good for you and your great fortune! ~ Mary

• rennfl
    11 years ago

Well good for you and Happy Birthday.

Renee

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Happy belated birthday! I'm guessing you're a Leo, not a Virgo.

Anyway, I've found that Hoya people (regardless of reputation) are generally very generous people. Lucky you!

• ohmybloomers
    11 years ago

I want to be you! ;-)

Really, congrats on your bounty, and yes indeed - grow fast and post pics!

Which ones did you get?

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I came home too late to take pix, am like a kid in a candy store! Peduncles too, large older spurs.

Perhaps I forgot to mention to the Gifter that I grow indoors only in an apartment ;>). These are large cuttings of large leafed Hoyas, really cool to see (I'll admit to a bit intimidating too), I've not been around leaves this big before. Certainly not your run of the mill Hoyas, not Hoyas you'd find locally or without mail ordering (I'm guessing). The several Macrophyllas have me swooning, a couple of the Polystacha have already entranced me w/ their leaf patterns. The new patterned Kerrii from Thailand, so cool (looks more like a Peperomia obtusifoila) than a Hoya; my Kerrii collection just keeps growing!

I've been breaking up orchid bark to add to my mix & have started to pot the first couple of smaller cuttings.

There's one Hoya of which there's so much it's coiled up like a garden hose!

11 if I counted correctly! Woo hoo!

• Kittee-Bee Berns
    11 years ago

How awesome! Please post pics when you can!
    xo
    kittee

• scsva
    11 years ago

It just keeps getting better and better!!!

If someone wants to send me cuttings, I'm here in Virginia waiting!!!!!ROFL!!

I'm a tad bit jealous but so happy for you, PG!!!!

Susan

• bama_gardener
    11 years ago

Congrats on the gift of hoyas. Hope to see some pictures of them and a belated Happy Birthday. Mine is coming up shortly so we're not too far apart.

• Klea
    11 years ago

Congratulations, pirate girl! What a great birthday gift! :) I'm just here to join in with those who are asking for photos. Pretty please! Let us get a glimpse of this hoya-heaven of yours. :) I want to see that Kerri you're talking about! lol

• patrick51
    11 years ago

Happy belated birthday, Karen! Congratulations on the new cuttings...sounds like some great ones!! Fondly, Patrick

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Well, there hasn't been time, but, I got nuts & took some pix in my dark kitchen (never took pix in the dark before) & here we go.

They're not labeled & I don't know their names yet. Pretend we're at the movies, here's the preview:

These are the first few I've gotten potted up

A Macrophylla I think

the new Kerrii from Thailand

Macrophylla golden?

Not bad for pix taken in total darkness, really, I must say!

some large round leaves, a serious cutting!

of the edge of the table, lotsa of Hoyas

more large lovelies

H. Pachystachy?

and the magnificent lovely whose fawning over got me this wonderful group

varieg. Macrophylla, I just adore this, look, pattern & texture! I could look at it all day long!

This one alone would have been great! See what I mean about the whole group? This is just the first few, really, how lucky am I, thank you again, a thousand thank yous!

• mitzicos
    11 years ago

Luck you! I'm very glad for you!

Hope they all develop fast and give you many flowers!

Mitzi

And happy birthday for us!!!!!

• Klea
    11 years ago

Wow! Those look great, thank you for posting the pictures! That kerri really is a beauty, and the macrophylla golden and variegated too! Gorgeous! I have the regular macrophylla, but now I won't be content until I have the golden and variegated too! *sigh* :)

• Denise
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

Looks like you really hit the jackpot there! Just my kind of Hoyas with those big beautiful leaves. I'm hoping to find those first 3 from other than a Thai vendor - my Thai order this year ended badly, so only domestic orders for me the rest of the year. I do, of course, have macrophylla, but I'd like to get the narrow-leaved clone like in your first photo. Congrats!

Denise in Omaha

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Congrats and happy B-day PG!
    Great huge cuttings! Hope you have room for it ;)!

Aggie

• pirate_girl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for the Birthday wishes & the Congratulations on the plants.

Yes, now comes the question of potting them up & where to put them. I'm finding out that even potting them is tricky, they're so heavy they won't stay put in their pots. Into plastic pots, then those into clay pots for the heft & those are the small ones. I'm going to have to go look for bamboo hoops or maybe some other kinds of trellis.

Told ya I didn't know the names yet; I called the first one Macrophylla when one can read the label says Polystachy. Erred on another similarly, but OH Well.

I'm thinking they need their own apartment, at least their own kitchen, that's how it feels. I have a collection of 1/2 dozen Aloes on the kitchen window. The Hoyas have been threatening to displace them for some time; it's prime, unobstructed west window. This may be it for the Aloes, sigh.

• amber_m
    11 years ago

YAY!!! congrats!!! and happy late birthday!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions