Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banannas

My epiphytica order: Bragging on David (dmichael619)

banannas
12 years ago

Hi all,

I was part of the group that ordered from Epiphytica hosted by David. I only ordered four plants because I really was at a space limit so it was a day long process of figuring out which four I really really really really really wanted.

After many hang-ups (out of David's control) I just got my order yesterday. Well out of the goodness of his heart, David to make-up for them going missing in the mail, sent me 9 different cuttings plus additional cuttings of what I did order!!!!

I just wanted to put this testimonial out there for him should you ever feel tempted to order from him on ebay to do a swap with him, although I doubt there are any that he still doesn't have. He kept me constantly up to date and checked in frequently.

I made out better having them go missing than if I had gotten them on time. NOW what to do with all of these cuttings!!!!

Finally a shout out to Denise who gave me the idea for a community pot!

I haven't bagged them yet. I'm wondering with humidity between 50%-80% do you think that I need to bag them?

Thanks Denise, for your constant advice and David for you attention and kindness on this adventure.

Anne

Comments (11)

• Denise
    12 years ago

Anne,

I wouldn't worry about bagging them as long as it's warm and humid. It's still perfect rooting weather here, too, and I have several outside in a shady spot rooting. And I think you'll have good success with the community pot - there's something about haveing several pushing to root at the same time sharing the same root space that speeds up the process.

What's that one in your first photo with the striped leaves, a little more to the left than the right & more to the front? Pretty!!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I agree, I don't think bagging is neccessary this time of year, even up here.

I was looking at those stripes, too! Are those the back of sp. Borneo Ganung Gading leaves? Lovely in that light.

Too true that David is a lovely generous soul. Hear Hear! Things definitely turned out quite well for you in the end. I'm so happy everyone has their orders safely rooting now. It's been a looooong haul! I put a timeline of the events on my blog and it really made me laugh in the process. It's too bad, too, because if it had gone through faster, we all probably would have wanted to turn around and do another order. ^_~

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Thanks Anne for the testimonial!!! I felt sending you the extras along with replacing what I could from the original order was the least I could do considering that it WAS my fault that your box was lost for so long. Really the post office is partially to blame as well considering that to begin with when I mailed it to you it only took 3 days to get to CA but when the PO mailed it back to me for invalid addy ,it took 8 days to get back to me. AND when it did finally get back to me the box was so flat it looked like it had been driven over. Believe it or not it's still sitting out on the potting bench in the gh!!!

I'm afraid now after everyone seeing these pictures and reading this story,there may be a LOT of requests for me to PURPOSELY mislabel boxes!!!!

Denise, I think the hoya you are asking abut is H. callistophylla IML 0554 What you are seeing in the photo is actually the backside of the leaves.

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

David is correct it is the callistophylla IML 0554. My homework assignment from myself is to learn about all of them!

And Denise thanks again!

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Those are all so lovely... personally, I love the heart shaped leaves... what is the name of that one? Thanks!

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is Kerrii. The specific kind is Kerrii Varigated.

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

What is that 4th picture down? Looks like a heart leaf lacunosa that is highly spotted or "splashed" so to speak.
    I have never seen that one before. Does it have a special IML number or anything? Will be ordering that one real soon. :-)

• myhoyas
    12 years ago

I just want to add that I've also ordered from Epiphytica (Swedish group order) and what I got was lovely rooted cuttings that are doing really well and growing like crazy!

Now that I know David is here I would like to ask if you have any flower photo of the H. sp. UT-009 (EPC-698)? Or if you know what type of flowers it will get?

/Christina

• dmichael619
    12 years ago

Marcy,

the hoya in question here is H. krohniana (aka heart leaf lacunosa)there is also a solid green version. I have both but not big enough to cut yet. My green one was quite large and got root rot and I lost a lot of the plant. The speckled one is still growing and I had just enough of it to get a single cutting for Anne to replace the one that died due to my not addressing her package correctly.

Christina, i'm sorry I don't grow the sp. UT-009 EPC 698 so i'm not familiar with what the flowers will look like.

• banannas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marcy,

Here is the link to the plant in the picture you asked about at epiphytica.com. They call it hoya lacunosa "eskimo" on the page. You will have to scroll about a 1/4 of the way down to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: hoya lacunosa

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

bananas!... I LOVE that hoya lacunosa "eskimo"... the leaves are gorgeous!... very different from my brand new hoya lacunosa "sno caps"..... which is currently working on surviving its recent journey from Joni's!... Thank you for that link!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths