H. pachyclada
pachyclada
H. pinkie (subcalva x australis)
pinkie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buds & Blooms

Hi Jan,
I am in love with pachyclada.Its one of my favorite hoyas.When your pinkie blooms can you post the pictures.I just got a small cutting from Ted.

Cindy

o

Very nice pics Jan!!! I especially like the one of just the buds and partial of the leaf on finlaysonii ripple leaf.

I got a few of my own today and this is a first time bloomer for me. It's hoya deykeae. I've had issues over the past 2-3 years keeping this one going. It'll grow well for a while then go into a decline.I think I may have had it over potted and possibly keeping it too wet. It now stays in a 4 1/2" basket and moist but not soaking wet and seems to be very happy that way!!! The flowers are quite tiny in comparison to the leaves and they have a sweet,spicy citrus fragrance to me
Photobucket

this is erythrina "Bajo" I got the plant from Asiatica last year and it has proven to be a rather fast grower,and an easy and early bloomer where as i've had my other clone of erythrina for probably 4 years now and not a bloom to date yet!!!
Photobucket

this is a cutting that I got from Ted Green last month,sp. Kast. I cut the original cutting in half and one piece died right away ,the second one rooted and has now bloomed!!! You can see in the photo that it's just a single set of leaves with a peduncle!!!
Photobucket

the we have cv. Optimistic doing it's thing again. There's 4 peduncles full of buds on the plant right now in various stages of development.
Photobucket

After going back and previewing the pics I noticed that all of the flowers that I took pictures of today,are yellow!!!

o

Yellow and beautiful!!! When I received my cutting of sp. Kast from Ted, I left it in one piece. It came to me with two leaves on the bottom node and a peduncle at the tippy top! hahaha Now, I have six new leaves trying to make an appearance. We'll see . . .

Carolyn

o
RE: Buds & Blooms!!

Carolyn, I have to admit , i'm just like a bratty little child who likes to tear things up!!! I can never leave a cutting in one piece!!

o
cutting

At least you admit to it, David! hahahaha

Carolyn

o
RE: Buds & Blooms!!

There have been times in the past where I would leave cuttings in a single piece just as I had received them and for whatever reason couldn't get back to them for a few days or so only to find that a stem had rotted completely and I lost the entire cutting. I've had this happen more that once. So my policy on hoya cuttings now is to immediately cut them into as many 2 node pieces as possible as soon as I get them!! The chance of loosing a pot full of cuttings is far less grater than loosing a single cutting!! And besides it makes for s fuller pot sooner rather than later!!

o

Last year I talked with David Liddle and he said its best to let the cutting recover before dividing it. I put the cutting in a 100% humidity container and cut them when small roots are forming all along the stem which is about 1-2 weeks after I put them there.

mayyan

o

Jan I am excited to see those Hoya lobbii flowers, they look so light in colour.

Beautiful photos David. Your Hoya erythrina 'Bajo' is very nice, do you grow yours in bright light? I have the regular erythrina and it has grown very well this year but I wonder if it needs more sun than I am giving it in order to bloom? I have mine in a slightly shaded southern window but the leaves are plain green so not all that bright.

Mike

o

Thanks!
Cindy, I'll post if the buds don't blast.

David, those are gorgeous flowers! I do love erythrina "Bajo" & cv optimistic.

Mike, I'll post when lobbii opens.

o

Mike I grow both of my clones of erythrina in high light. In fact the plant that has not bloomed is grown in higher light than the "Bajo" clone so i'm not sure what i'm doing or not doing to that particular one for it not to bloom yet.

o

Thanks David, I think I am going to move my plant to a brighter position then. The leaves do look nicer when the plant gets more light.

Mike

o

I have 5 clones of hoya lobbii and so far only 2 have bloomed. The third one opened up it's first set of flowers today. I got this one from a friend in Thailand labeled as H. lobbii very dark red. One of my other clones is also red but not quite this deep and the flowers on this one are also larger than they are on the other red clone which has also bloomed once before.
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Very dark red and pretty!

o

Jan, I'm sorry I have TOTALLY hijacked your thread!!!!

Got another first time bloomer here!!! This is H. bhutanica. It's a fast growing hoya once it takes hold and my plant is only about a year old so I guess you could say it's an early bloomer as well!
Photobucket

same cluster with no flash this time
Photobucket

this one will also be a first timer and I can't wait to see it in bloom!!!! It's hoya fraterna ( the sibling to coriacea)
Photobucket

this is the same (black)lobbii from yesterday,fully reflexed and from a different angle
Photobucket

this is one of my favorite small flowering hoyas,it's H. sipitangensis
Photobucket

lobbii orange flowering clone,a great grower and very reliable bloomer!!
Photobucket

H. rigida IML 1424
Photobucket

this is another favorite of mine with it's brick red flowers,it's H. bordenii
Photobucket

same cluster without flash. If you look closely the flower at the top is only a 4 pointer!!!
Photobucket

this is my plant of lacunosa "snow caps" it's huge and stays in almost constant bloom!!!
Photobucket

o

GORGEOUS! I have no idea what else to say . . . :)

Carolyn

o

GORGEOUS!!!! works for me!! (LOL)

o

Gorgeous2!!!!
David, I don't mind at all about you hijacking the thread. Keep the photos coming.

o

Agreed, I love your photos, David. Especially the way they come in nice big batches. They make me feel so optimistic.

bordenii is very beautiful... I love your description of the color.

o

Rats! pinkie buds blasted.
Pachyclada red/white.
Photobucket
Obscura large leaf.
Photobucket
H. lobbii.
Photobucket
H. bordenii buds.
Photobucket
Carnosa clan, don't remember which one.
Photobucket

o

got a few more hoyas blooming today. This first one I have been growing for several years but have always had issues with it. It'll grow well for a while then go into decline. At the moment it seems to be doing fine and hopefully will continue to do so!!! I bought it as H. vitellinooides IML 0358 from D.L.it's also commonly known as meredithii
Photobucket

This is a hoya that I got from Sweden last year. It has proven to be a rather fast grower and an early bloomer!!! I don't know much about it other than it came labeled as H. sp. PNG SV 422. The flowers are slightly smaller than carnosa type blooms and I did not detect a fragrance but they had just begun to open when I took the picture so maybe they have one now. The flowers are sort of buttery colored with a fine pink suffusion to them.This is the first time this hoya has bloomed.
Photobucket

and this is what the foliage looks like. The leaves are very thin and as you can also see from the pic, the vines are as well.
Photobucket

o

Nice! I really like that last one. Pretty.

Carolyn

o

Here's the buds on mindorensis and verticillata that I've been talking about.

Mindorensis
Mindorensis Buds

Verticillata
Verticillata Buds

I also found a brand new peduncle on my carnosa today! It's at the end of the vine (one of many!), which looks about to be one and a half to two feet long. Now, just to wait until the buds open!!!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Congratulations, everyone, on the buds/blooms ^_^

That vitellinoides/meridithii has such an elegant, ethereal bloom and such an interesting contrast with the leaves. I hope it continues to do well for you from here on out.

o

You'll really like the mindorensis Brad especially if it blooms the deep red color that it normally does for me.Be aware though that your growing conditions might affect the flower color and it may not bloom as dark as it did for me. I have the plant growing in a different location this year as I did last year and thus far the flower color has been lighter that it normally is. This year it looks like the color has been washed out of it almost!!

I've got a few to share today. This is H. kanyakumariana which has been blooming for several months now.
Photobucket

Hoya dolicosparte has also been blooming off and on for a few months now but this is the first time that i've been able to get a pic of it.All the times before this season that it's been open i've waited too long to get the pic and the flowers had already dropped when i'd remember it!! Anyway I caught it this morning before the flowers have reflexed all the way!!
Photobucket

Hoya buotii ( one of my top 10 faves!!) has opened it's first 6 sets of blooms for the 2010 season this morning. All 6 sets opened at the same time and it's quite a sight!!! I'll try later on today to get a few better quality pictures of it as this one is not so hot!!!
Photobucket

o

The buotii certainly is lovely with such cunning little starfish. I'd love to know whether you favor this one for its beautiful flowers or some other characteristic. Also, what else makes it into your top 10, unless that's just a convenient turn of phrase..

o

David your Hoya buotii is just beautiful. I got this species recently and have been very impressed with it's growth rate, it started growing as soon as it rooted.

Mike

o

I love buotii! Seeing mine bloom would be a bonus. I love mine for having beautiful leaves and for being a great grower. Mike, mine grows fast. I've noticed it doesn't want to fill in with leaves until it gets tethered down in some fashion. Otherwise, it will just keep sending out long vines with leaf nubbins on them, that seem to be seeking something. Once I clipped the loose vines to my hoop trellis, leaving the ends free to continue seeking, it settled down and grew out those leaves. I also noticed that if it doesn't have at least 4 inches of the vine ends free to ramble, it sulks and doesn't feel like growing for a while.

Mindorensis is on my wish list, definitely. I just want all my newbies to settle in first.

o

GG, the buotii is also very attractive foliage wise as well. It was the flowers which drew me to it though!!!

Mike H. buotii is a very fast grower. My only issue with it is the fact that it also produces peduncles early but they are quite slow to form there first set of buds. My plant had it's first peduncles for well over a year before it began producing buds. It just recently starting developing buds this season so I guess you could call it a mid-late season bloomer. This is the first time that it has opened all clusters at once though.

Quiin, this hoya does like to scramble all over the place and attach itself to anything close by!!!

Mindorensis is moderate grower. It will do well growing in the same pot/basket for quite some time and like buotii I also found it to be an early and very reliable bloomer. I have also noticed that mindorensis does not make long scrambling vines that want to cling to everything. It will sometimes try to climb up the wire hanger of it's basket but I can loosen the vines and just let them hang down and they are fine that way.

In comparing the flowers of buotii and mindorensis I haven't noticed the flower color changing on the buotii when grown in another location compared to where it may have been situated the prior year. Mindorensis flowers will change color though depending on growing conditions.

o

As promised here are some better shots of the H. buotii
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

here's another of my top 10 faves for it's foliage as well as flowers,H. obscura and to me the flowers smell exactly like Fruit Loops cereal!!!

Photobucket

o

Brad, congrats!

David, great photos! My buotii buds keep blasting for some reason but I am sure they will surprise me one day.
Obscura is one of my fav too.

o

Lovely pictures, everyone!

Buotii is definitely in my Top 10 of must-have favorite hoyas!

Kelly

o

Ohhh... such beautiful photos, David.

Quinn, you're right, those leaves are very lovely. Also, I found your notes about tethering and sulking so thought provoking. You have a real gift for observation. You're always distilling interesting trends from your experiences.

o

Verticillata's buds dropped....grrrrr. However, the ones on mindorensis are getting larger :) !

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here