Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grmadarr

New plants....More questions

grmadarr
13 years ago

Just got two Hoya "Rubra"s and a "fishtail" hoya for my birthday and I need info. Should I repot them or leave them in the pot they are in? Potting soil!! I went looking for it and most all that is out there has plant food in them. Is that what we use? The only orchid food I found also?

Thanks to all of you that have helped me on the book hunt. I do find a lot of info. right here on the forum. I will try and post some pix also. My new plants are so nice and healthy! Love this forum! GrmaDarr

Comments (4)

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

We all have variations of soil that we use but we pretty much all suggest not using a store bought mix. My personal favorite is fine pine bark from Green Country Soil plus pearlite and decomposed granite. The amount of pearlite and granite that I add depends on the preferences of the particular plant I'm working with. Your "Rubra" (Krimson Princess) appreciates more drainage than the "Fishtail" (H. polyneura). At least that's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

The size of pot depends on how rootbound your plant is. If it looks comfortable in the pot, go ahead and put it back in there. If the roots are really crowded and growing around and around, go up a size. It is very important to get as much of the old soil off the roots as possible because the old compacted soil will keep the roots from taking up the water, air and nutrients they need.

Different people use different fertilizers and some don't use any. This is my first year using fertilizer at all. I put a few granules of slow release Osmocote in the pots and I spray the leaves with VF-11 every day or so. All of my plants (not just the hoyas) really seem to appreciate it!

Remember this is just what is working for me in my climate. Your mileage may vary!

• User
    13 years ago

Hi Tigerdawn,

"Your "Rubra" (Krimson Princess) appreciates more drainage than the "Fishtail" (H. polyneura). At least that's my understanding. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!"

This Part of your comment caught my eye. Where did you hear this & why would this be true? I assume all my Hoyas need good & fast drainage. Haven't seen anything to tell me otherwise.

Anybody else on this pls?

• grmadarr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tigerdawn Do you mean that I should take them out of the pot they came in and look at the roots to see if they are
    crowded? What kind of pots do you use? I looked for orchid pots but never found one. Thanks for all your help!!

• tigerdawn
    13 years ago

Well I know my lacunosa likes to be more moist than my obovata. I don't have a polyneura but for some reason or another I thought it liked more moisture than some others. All my soils are fast draining but some are even more so.

I would take the plants out of the pot and look at the roots. Some people are picky about the type of pot but I'm poor and just use whatever I have- plastic, terra cotta, etc.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES