Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harrison871

variegated leaves

Harrison871
12 years ago

I am trying to figure out what type of hoya I bought at walgreens. Just today the flowerst at work brought in an orchid arrangment with the same hoya in it.

I can't take a picture of it but i'll try to describe it the best I can. It has a brown vine, leaves look variegated white on the outside and green in the middle. The baby leaves on some of the vines are redish pink or all white with a little green spot in the middle. I think its a carnos, but i'v never seem one in person so I have no idea of im right or not. I'll try and post of picture of the one that I brought if it helps tonight after work

thanks for the help with the ID guys

~Melissa

Comments (22)

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Hey Melissa,

Sounds like you're describing KQ, Krimson Queen, a form of Carnosa. Perhaps if you look at some of their pix here, it'll match.

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I looked it up on google and thats what it looks like. ill still post some pictures just to be sure later tonight.

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry that its sideways I couldn't figure out how to get it the right way. There are several cuttings in the one hanging pot. some cuttings have leaves that are all dark green. Other leaves are variegated.

• marco
    12 years ago

Is this what the colors look like ? I got this planter at the supermarket and it was from Exotic Angel. They called it Hoya Bella Veriegata. When the leaves first form, the white part starts out a red/pink color before changing to a more creamy white a few weeks later.

Poseidon24

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

poseidon24, that's what it looks like.

here is what mine looks like.

I read somewhere that the variegated leaves don't bloom. Is that true? I would love for the ones that I got from walgreens bloom. It would be really saddening if they didn't

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Sorry folks, but I went by the verbal description.

Harrison, your pic is rather too dark to be positive, but from what I CAN see i believe both sets of pix show Hoya Krimson Princess, (the white is on the inside portion of the leaf). It's the K Queen w/ the white on the outside.

Sorry, Poseidon their ID is wrong, it's not Bella which has smaller, more arrow shaped leaves.

Still they look like healthy, OK plants from here, enjoy!

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

[1] Harrison, this is a bit confusing because your description above, "leaves look variegated white on the outside and green in the middle" (= Krimson Queen) does not match your photographs (= Krimson Princess).

Either you misremembered or you have starts of multiple cultivars all in the same pot and we just can't see the Krimson Queen vines in the photographs you've shared. You might want to check, as it is fairly common practice to sell baskets with both cultivars in them.

Now the non-variegated vines are probably just reverted sections of 'Krimson Princess' as this cultivar tends to revert pretty frequently. Because these pure green vines are more robust than the variegated vines, they will swiftly overtake the plant, leaving you with no variegated vines if you don't prune them. There's no problem with your pruning them and potting them up separately though. Some people just let the plant be, because it's attractive green, or they don't want to argue with it. It just depends on how much you want variegation.

[2] The plant will bloom whether the leaves are variegated or not.

Here is a reverted KP in bloom.

Here is a variegated KP in bloom.

[3] Poseidon, your plant was mislabeled. Variegated Bella looks like this:

On the topic, though. As you can see, my variegated Bella threw a reverted vine. (WTF!) Would anyone like to share how often this happens with their plant? I had thought this cultivar didn't revert that often.

• marco
    12 years ago

Thanks Pirate Girl. If you go to the Exotic Angel website and put in Hoya, it gives them mostly incorrect names. I got a KQ and the above KP and both were labled "RUBRA". Better yet, I bought 2 small 2" pots just stuffed to the brim with KQ cuttings, and for only $2 each. Better still, they had Exotic Angel ID stick that called them both "Lipstick" plants. This was at a Publix supermarket.

It also seems like the second picture of Melissa's is of a regular ole 'Carnosa' so it looks like you got 2 hoyas in the same basket, nice !

Poseidon

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Poseidon, 'Rubra' is actually the correct cultivar name for 'Krimson Princess.' 'Krimson Princess' is the trademarked name, and basically the most popular handle for this cultivar around here, but no more correct.

So they weren't really wrong about at least one of those plants. Now the lipstick business... is just a whole bucket of fail. v_v'

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Unfortunately Poseidon, your experience of EA mislabeling their Hoyas is VERY common.

They also invent names, like they call H curtisii 'stripes', no one calls it that, that's not a Hoya name.

This is so frequent that a few yrs. ago I made myself a list of the names EA uses & their equivalent CORRECT name, if known. I later posted it here so as to help prevent some confusion & some us ending up buying duplicates because of it.

Sorry I don't know how to post a link, but perhaps try searching for something like "Pirate Girl's Correctly named EA Hoyas".

Anyway sounds like you got some Hoyas you're happy with for now.

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry to confuse everyone. pirate girl, you are right. The plant I described is the plant I have at work in the orchid arrangment. so it does have white on the ouside and green on the inside.

the pictures that I posted are of my plant that I got from walgreens. When I repotted it I found that it wasn't just one plant, but a bunch of little cuttings in one pot.

I thought I would lump all the IDs in together instead of making two new threads. Thanks for the help though I now know that I have a KQ at work and a KP and Carnosa at home.
    :P

• squidy
    12 years ago

Pirate Girl, I found your thread. Very useful, thanks!
    To post a link, use the "Optional Link URL" box under the message box. It makes this appear:

Here is a link that might be useful: PG's thread

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Harrison, sounds like you have a H. Carnosa Krimson Queen. Here is a picture of mine. I've had her about 13 years, still small because she grows very slow. Good hoya this one is. The blooms smell like chocolate. This year I put her in a north facing window because my west-facing garden window was making her leaves turn light yellow from too much light/direct sun. Now her leaves are getting dark green and looking healthier.

This is a good hoya that is very easy to care for, just don't water too much during the winter and water 2X a week in the summer.

TammyPie

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

TammyPie, are both of the flanking plants curtisii? The one on the right is to dark to see for sure.

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

Aww, phooey! I just committed one of my pet peeves! I meant to type 'TOO dark to see'! LOL!

• tammypie
    12 years ago

Hi Tigerdawn,

Yes, that was a H. Curtisii, the one on the right is H. Serpens. I still have the H. Serpens but my H. Curtisii died last year :o(

• marco
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for clearing up the confusion about EA mislabeling problem. The link helped as well.

GG, are the leaves on that veriegated Bella really that vibrant a shade of green ? It is absolutely beautiful and the shape of them are very attractively pointed. Now I must have one !

Don't get me started on the Lipstick plant. What a fiasco and a huge waste of money that $20 basket was.

poseidon

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Poseidon, actually the blue is bumped a bit on that photograph so the color is actually a little warmer and brighter. I am growing it under artificial light now, and the color is somewhere between lime green and lemongrass. However, when I grew it under natural light, it got more daffodil yellow. It is very bold and pretty in any light.

Sue has a magnificent plant, which she has grown in natural light and if you haven't already fallen in love, you will when you see it. (Link below!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sue's variegated bella 'Luis Bois'

• marco
    12 years ago

WOW ! Magnificent is the perfect word to describe that plant/tree. It almost looks like a tree, lol. Sue must have a golden touch with Hoyas.

I love the rich hues of green that your plant has. I understand what you meant about color adjustment. It is a very good way to present the vivid coloring of the leaves. That renegade vine that had reverted is sweet. I am a vine person, I just love any kind of vining plant.

Thanks for all your help

poseidon

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tammypie,
    it looks like your plant but the leaves are much darker green. I would say they are a forest green.Ill take I picture of it tonight. the florest said I could have a cutting. That would be sooooo great if the blooms ended up smelling like chocolate. I have a major sweet tooth. ;P

• Harrison871
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry it took so long, but here are the pictures of the cuttings that I got off the plant at work, looks like tammypie's. right?

• gennykins
    12 years ago

Yep.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?