Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tigerdawn_gw

H. curtisii at Lowes! (and stuff)

tigerdawn
13 years ago

Today at Lowes they had H. curtisii and of course I bought it!

While I was taking pictures, I took some of my outdoor hoyas

And here are my two new plants from Joni in the rooting aquarium- parasitica variegata and chlorantha. There's also some callystophylla and fungii rooting in there.

Here's a moonflower for Brad

Comments (10)

• cpawl
    13 years ago

Hi, all your hoyas look very happy.Congrats on the new hoya.I am going across the broader next week I hope to get lucky and find some thing at the big box stores.

Cindy

• moonwolf_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats TigerDawn!

Did you get to manage to smell one of the moonflowers? You kinda have to stick your nose into them to get a scent, but boy do they smell good! (I assume they're from the seeds I sent you?)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• dmichael619
    13 years ago

I've noticed a LOT of hoya curtisii plants at all of our local wal-marts and Lowe's stores. They also seem to have quite a bit of nummularioides in as well right now.

Our moonflowers are perennial here and are sparkly snow white with a purple throat. They grow on tubers like a potato and I have weighed some that were 25lbs and as big as a basketball.

Nice looking hoyas TD!!!!!

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Great happy looking plants!

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think I've decided I'm too old to grow flowers that only bloom at night. I never see them! I have an angel trumpet that is so gorgeous but I always miss the blooms. I managed to catch a nice blooming this evening:

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Nice plants Tigerdawn and congrats on the new Hoya curtisii. I am a huge fan of Datura so I am happy that you posted photos of your Datura inoxia. There is a variegated version of that plant as well but it can not be propagated by seed so you don't see it often.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

I enjoy the glimpse of the cat and the dog in one of your outdoor hoya shots : )

I decided to try to walk to Lowes today, and it turns out to be quite doable (as in, not as pedestrian unfriendly as I thought it would be). I got my very first ever EA hoya, a nice basket of brevialata. It wasn't mislabeled, because it wasn't labeled at all, ha! But I already have a small cutting of brevialata, that hasn't really decided whether or not it wants to grow, so it is nice to have a second one that is ahead of it. I also picked up a lovely little philodendron scandens micans, a clearance ceramic orchid pot, and some rather nice trellises that surprisingly weren't expensive at all. Oh, and some hanging hardware, and plastic coated wire so I can make hoop trellises. I did kind of look like a bag lady walking home though, because I also stopped by the grocery store, and Target... an old guy sitting on his front step asked me if I wanted to buy a car : P

Now I can make good progress on my Hoya projects. I've already re-trellised both sp. Tanna Island and finlaysonii... woo hoo!

I love your pics of your datura, Tigerdawn. I am a night person, but I don't actually go out into my yard at night much (avoiding mosquitoes) so I feel your pain!

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I just love that picture of the Datura all furled up. It's even prettier than when it opens! The cat and dog looking at each other through the glass made me laugh, too.

You must have been tired by the time you got home, Quinn! It's one thing to have a bunch of heavy stuff, but you had delicate things in the mix, too, which makes things trickier. I'm tired of driving so much and avoiding my car, so I feel I have many similar epic bag lady moments ahead of me.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

It's really not the walking that gets to me, as much as the heat. I have lots of practice at being a pack mule... I've had to carry groceries home for years, and I often seem to go with people who can't quite gauge how much two people can easily carry. A full backpack and both arms full, for 12-15 blocks, walking. Good exercise, I guess : ) I don't do backpacks anymore, though. A good tote bag works much better for me.

Datura is supposed to be deliciously fragrant, right? Or am I thinking of something else? Brugmansia, maybe? Or are they both fragrant?

I have been seeing curtisii at Lowes also (couldn't resist getting more clearance orchid pots) but they didn't look as nice as yours, Tigerdawn.

• tigerdawn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Datura is only fragrant in the evenings. By morning it doesn't smell anymore. I like the smell though.

I had to resist the clearance orchids because DH only authorized $10 (trying to pay loans). Maybe soon...

Sponsored