Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Just a couple Hoyas in bloom

paul_
12 years ago

Well mindorensis finally decided to get off its lazy butt and do something. For about a year it had done a lot of nothing ... just sat there.

Motoseki on the other had has been on overdrive. Going to be chopping some vines off this one in the next month or so. Flowers are nothing remarkable -- almost identical to carnosa but just paler in color.

Comments (10)

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

How pretty! Mindorensis has been on my list for a while, but I've heard it can be difficult, so I've not got one yet.

• rennfl
    12 years ago

Lovely, and I really like the picture showing the nectar.

Renee

• cpawl
    12 years ago

Nice photos, Thanks for sharing.

Cindy

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

/Paul.

Great photos. Thanks so much for sharing. I think mindorensis must be a little tricky to photograph since pictures are often a bit underwelming considering their subject. You chose a great angle, though.

/Kids.

I haven't been thrilled with the way it travels from Thailand, but it's not hard to grow if you buy it rooted. Maybe not as tough as they come, but not in the difficult category as long as you are able to keep it reasonably warm in winter.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms Paul...love your Mindorensis! What a really cool shot of that moteskie with the water bead, great photography!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Aw, motoskei is pretty too, to me :) I like the pale pinkness of it. I've never seen a carnosa bloom in person yet, actually. Your mindorensis should have a talk with my mindorensis. Maybe it can talk mine into doing something too. Although it did finally grow a leaf, bringing me to the grand total of TWO. Two leaves. I'm happy I didn't lose it, though.

• paul_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

K&C, my mindo rooted without any problem. It started growing and even bloomed for awhile for me. Then it went into a funk and just sat for about a year not doing anything -- not dying but not growing either. Now it has started up again. *shrug*

• squidy
    12 years ago

Great pictures, they're pretty when they're all dripping wet. :)
    I really like Motoskei. The white blooms are so simple and pure. But maybe I'm biased because my mom has had one in the kitchen window since I was little.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Mindorensis seems to have a lot of different personalities. I have two that grow like little angels, but my favorite one stops for long periods, just as you describe. I guess I don't consider the species difficult because, like you say, it never loses ground or acts like it's going to die. But it could be considered difficult if you get frustrated when a plant won't grow.

/Quinn.

LMAO Congrats on your new leaf. I know just how you feel. When mine went through its last growth spurt I was as amazed as if I'd woken up and my couch had developed a new row of cushions.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

My mindorensis is quite the slowpoke too. I got it last year and it bloomed shortly after I got it. It grew one new leaf this spring and that's all it's done.

Fantastic pictures, Paul! Mindorensis and motoskei are two of my favorite hoyas :). My motoskei is a cutting but it's growing happily.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz