Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hoyas

Posted by cyclonenat (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 16:59

I just got my new hoyas they were $8.80 NZ each i got linearis powderpuff(which is a australis hybrid) and crinkle curl which is quite small, but the linearis has flower buds on it yay (they are still small). Do you have any advice on linearis? sorry i cant take any photos because my camera died.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hoyas

Sorry cyclonenat there is no hoya called linearis powderpuff.This must be a made up name by the seller.You will need to google linears and australis to see which you might have.

Cindy

o

sorry powder puff is supposedly a variation of australis, my linearis is light green colour with long leaves, sorry for the misunderstanding

o

Linearis and australis are about as far apart in appearance as two plants can get. Maybe you could give us a link to the photo you bought it from, like on a website or auction site?

Denise in Omaha

o

Are you saying you got 2 hoyas?Still no powder puff australis.This a problem when sellers make up names to try to sell plants.
I cant help with how to grow Linearis as I don't have this one yet.I am the experts will come along soon.

Cindy

o

If you think it's difficult for making up common names, think about all the confusion when someone calls something with a scientific name that there ain't no such thing and then people name it and it is propagated and name propagated and so on.

names should not just be handed out like a bumper sticker. A name is important to label and re-identify a plant.

o

yes i got three
a hybrid of australis
compacta and
a plant of linearis,
i wont be able to put a photo up yet because my camera isnt working sorry

the australis hybrid looks like a cross between obovata and australis maybe?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here