Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Hoya Lauterbachii

birdsnblooms
14 years ago

Hi..Has anyone ever heard or have this Hoya. Recieved a Logees catalog today..they have a picture of this hoya, stating, out of all hoyas, lauterbachii is one of the largest hoyas in existance..It also states flowers are the size of a soccer ball..

Any truth to this? Thanks, Toni

Comments (32)

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Hey Toni,

I have this one, I also ordered it from Logee's. It is growing all over the place but hasn't had any flowers yet. This one is supposed to be a hard grower for ones that live in colder areas. I have lots of sun and HUMIDITY here in FL. Maybe someone from the colder region has it and can tell you about it.

Dee

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Hi Toni, I have a huge lauterbachii but I have yet to see the flowers. It is my understanding lauterbachii has the biggest flowers in hoya kind. I can't wait to see, if it ever flowers.

• johanna76
    14 years ago

No flowers for me yet either and I happen to be one of those unlucky "cold area" growers. I have seen pics of the flowers next too small tea cups and they are the same size! I will look for the pic again to post it.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dee, mind if I ask how long ago you ordered the Lauterbachii from Logees? I was a regular Logees shopper until they decreased plant pot sizes from 4" to 2 1/4"..and increased cost..lol
    Although in todays catalog, I noticed they're again shipping in some plants in 4" growing pots.
    When you said, 'it's growing all over the place,' did you mean when you first purchased it or since you've had it?
    Would you consider it slow-growing? Opposed to other hoyas?
    Dee, when you say it needs a lot of humidity, by comparison, do you mean as much as say, Tacca/Bat Plant and Australian Tree Ferns, or a step down to Maranta/Calathea, or two steps down, such as Dracaenas?
    Since it grows large, a terrarium is out, so it'd have to either hang or climb..but that's jumping the gun.

Jan, I see you're in zone 10, so you too probably live in a warm, humid climate such as Fl.
    Reading lauterbachii had the largest flowers is what lured me, and inquire about this hoya..lol. I'd really like to find a variegated lauterbachii if there's such a plant...am I asking too much? lol.

Thanks gals..It'd be nice if someone who lived in z7 or less responded..Toni

• chazparas
    14 years ago

Toni,
    I bought mine the first year Logees introduced them. It's still in the same pot, I'm so scared to transplant it. It is a slow grower for me. I keep it in my sun/plant room which is a converted 3 season porch. It gets cold in the winter sometimes into the 30s and has survived two winters in there so far. I keep it very dry during the winter. It's activly growing now (august) things finally warmed up here in New England. I'm happy with it, it has fuzzy light green leaves and seems to be easily managed. Maybe I'll get up the courage to pot it "up" next year. No flowers yet, but the soccer ball size refers to a group of the flowers not the individual ones.
    Chaz

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Toni Hoya lauterbachii now belongs to the group of Hoya relatives known as Eriostemmas, although most people still refer to them as Hoyas. These plants seem to be grown less than many other Hoyas and they are supposed to be difficult to bloom if you don't have the conditions they want. I have seen photos of some Eriostemma species flowering in Sweden so it is possible but you are going to need to keep the light up during the winter and keep it warm and happy until spring.

I decided last night that I wanted to give this Hoya a try so I added it to an upcoming order, hopefully I can get it to grow.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Eriostemmas

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Toni...I purchased two Lauterbachii from Logee's last year...they've both grown about 4-5 inches this summer. The flower umbel is the size of a soccer ball, each bloom is the size of a small tea cup. They do not like to be moved, they like high light, not outdoors in full sunshine, and the blooming doesn't begin until the plant reaches 6-8 feet....they require a sturdy trellis or grown in a hanging basket with alot of room to ramble around. Mine is in a hanging basket and is still going upwards...hopefully, next summer it'll start trailing down...it's grown as far as the ceiling, so, it'll have to start trailing down. The scent of the blooms is "chocolate", though, of course, I haven't had any blooms on my plants. Mine are about 14" tall now, and should start putting on more rapid growth now that they're fully established. I'm very fond of this hoya. Best wishes, Patrick

• hills
    14 years ago

Hi, I have this Hoya, which I bought from a Swedish vendor. I love it's beautiful furry leaves! I keep mine on a heat mat over the winter to keep it warm, and although it sulks, it seems to make it through every year. Now I have moved to a much warmer flat it seems to be very happy and is growing! Maybe one day I'll see flowers... we'll see... I used to mist all my hoyas, but I've got lazy and I don't do it so much now... must start again.
    Hilary in London, UK

• treelover3
    14 years ago

The unmentionable hoya vendor in Hawaii is growing this plant and she has said it does not start to bloom until the vine reaches the tops of the trees and then starts to hang down again. Ted Green has said the same thing and he has also added that this Hoya may not even bloom in a greenhouse due to the lack of air movement.

While the flowers are beautiful and HUGE, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the plant to bloom indoors anytime soon.

I would guess any vine with flowers that large needs to be huge before it blooms. As miked has said above, H. lauterbachii is an Eriostemma, and the Eriostemmas are very difficult plants to bloom indoors since they need high light, good air movement and very warm temperatures year 'round.

It's always nice to dream and while not impossible, it is probably unlikely that anyone will bloom this plant in their home. I don't want to crush anyone's hopes and dreams, but I don't want anyone to have any unrealistic hopes to bloom this plant indoors.

I, too, may order the plant from Logee's since H. lauterbachii does have beautiful felted leaves and there is always that small chance that flowers could happen... (:o)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

That Hoya is Amazing Jan!! If you can't get that one to bloom...then there's no hope for someone like me,lol. Sounds like it has the best chance in your enviroment. Good luck! I think it will bloom soon!! Keep us posted.

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Toni,
    I don't know about the humidity levels of the plants you mention as I don't have them, but I do know that mine loves it on my front deck. It gets some direct sun but does get some shade in the hotest part of the day. I got mine from Logee's back in Apr and it has already reached 2 1/5ft in length. It pouted for about 2 months then just started taking off. It came in a 3 in pot.

Dee

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Wow, Dee, that's great growth in a short period of time...I must be doing something wrong!! Jan...your Lauterbachii is simply amazing...I can only dream of mine reaching that size. Mine may never bloom, but I buy hoyas primarily for the leaves...any blooms are just an added bonus...I always have other types of plants in bloom...expecially the Jasmines...they bloom year 'round...and are a treat for the nose as well. P.S., Jan, wanna trade Lauterbachii's? LOL Patrick

• PRO
    14 years ago

Pug, Patrick, thanks for your compliments. I am crossing my fingers & toes. LOL
    I pass on lauterbachii trade for now, Patrick. hehe

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Patrick, I don't think you are doing anything wrong, I have been told the eriostemma love the heat and humidity, which I have an abundance of both.

Dee

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey everyone thanks for responding..

Jan, your lauterbachii is gigantic AND gorgeous.. Do you know if it's rootbound being in a 10" pot?

Mike/London..I've never heard of Eriostemmas, but that's not saying much..lol..Perhaps doing a search under this name will bring up Lauterbachii sellers, because they're sure rare here in the states.

I found a site, hoyaplants.com. (not to be confused with myhoyas.com) They sell unrooted cuttings..at least I think that's all they have..I checked their nursery on Gardenwatchdog..4 feedbacks, 2 negs, 1 neutral and 1 positive..positive being the most recent. I 'might' call tomorrow to see if they sell actual plants..Remember, I cannot root Hoyas..lol..

On thing, would you folks say Lauterbachii has small, medium or large leaves? This Hoya nursery sells Lauters, but it reads, 'has medium foliage.' Medium opposed to what I can't say.. lol.

I want to thank everyone for responding. I'm discoving, Hoyas are addictive, too. sheesh..Placed an order at Accents yesterday..It started with wanting two hoyas and ended up a large order.

Here's what I ended up buying..sigh

Indornesian Variegated...6.95
    Lanceolata Variegated...5.95
    Silver Dollar...5.95
    Siver-Pink...5.95
    Imperalis...5.95
    Fish Tail...5.95
    Multi-Variegated...7.95

Pomegranate..had to buy something other than all hoyas. lol.

I still would like the H. lauterbachii, pubicalyx and another sigillates..

Once plants come indoors, I'm going to say, once again, where did they all fit last winter? lol..
    But I purchased little hanging baskets from Agape, so think I'll make some type of device little pots can hang from..Thanks again, Toni

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hi Toni,
    I've purchased from hoyaplants.com and their name is a little deceiving - I don't believe they sell plants, I think it's just cuttings. Hoya cuttings are quite easy to root since all you really need to do is put the cuttings in water and they will root. HP.com sends generous cuttings for the money.

Logee's sells H. lauterbachii for 20.00 plus shipping, and their shipping isn't that outrageous.
    Mike

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Toni the Silver Pink Hoya you ordered is Hoya pubicalax 'Silver Pink' or Pink Silver if you like, you can scratch that one of your list. I wonder what the Indonesian variegated is, sounds interesting.

Mike

• PRO
    14 years ago

Toni, it's not root bounded, but it's shallower clay pot partly filled with some rocks due to the plant being heavy. Plus I have serveral stakes in the pot too. H lauterbachii needs some root room according to the Hawaii grower.
    I am sure I am going to have to put more stakes in some time in the future.

Mike, I am wondering same thing.

Jan

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Mike (MN)...I'd buy it from the Hawaii vendor if I was you...shipping would be comparable and the plant would be of much nicer size. Logee's come in a 2 1/2 " pot...are on the small size, and both of mine had the ends cut off...which is why it took so long for them to start growing. I would guess, too, that you'd receive your Lauterbachii quicker from Hawaii...my orders from her took two days transit. I still can't get over Jan's Lauterbachii...too amazing!! Dee...my sunroom is unbearably warm and so humid that there's a glaze on the floors...my fountain maintains the humidity even during the winter (over 70%...which isn't Florida, but good for the north)...I think mine is starting to take off, but took so long since Logee's cut off the ends. I just love this forum...you're all too wonderful! Patrick

• geosdee
    14 years ago

Patrick, wish I had a sunroom, not that I don't get enough sun right, LOL. But you have a fountain in there, wow. Can you take a picture and send me. Would love to see it. When I got my Lauterbachii from Logee's it had 2 branches and they weren't cut on the ends so I guess that is why my took off so fast. Guess I should count myself lucky. Which way is the sunroom facing??

Toni, I have emailed with HP before and they definately are cuttings only.

Dee

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Patrick,
    Thanks, I will. I am getting some cuttings from the Hawaiian grower, and I hope they will be shipped tomorrow. I'm out of town until Sunday so didn't want them shipped this week.

Have a great weekend, everyone! See ya Sunday.
    Mike
    (going camping!)

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike/Tree..you make rooting hoyas sound so easy..just put in water, and voila, roots..lol..I've tried rooting in water and soil..it doesn't work..it's been a couple years since trying.
    If you've gone to hoya.com site, on the left side it says plants for sale, which is the reason I thought they sold actual plants..but when you click on hoyas, right above the top it says cuttings..Doesn't say if they're rooted or not..Yes, that is deceiving!
    Logees plants are too small for the price..I guess shipping fees are relative..lol

Mike/London..check accentsforhomeandgarden.com Type in hoya or click online catalog. Scroll down to Hoyas..There's a list of hoyas he has for sale including Indonesian. This Hoya goes by another name, but I can't recall right now..

Jan, I can't see the stakes, they're well-hidden. They must be thick right? To hold all those stems...How tall was your hoya when you first got it? I like the way it looks in the entranceway. Faces west, I believe? So, does it get direct western sun in the afternoon? Clay pot..Are all your hoyas in clay?

Dee thanks..I'll pass up the cuttings from hoya.com. It's either plants or nothing...why pay 12.00 for something that won't root? I appreicate you checking it out..

Mike/Tree, have a safe and fun time camping..Where are you going? I love camping though it's been years since we've gone anywhere. Nature! Deer, beavers, birds, greenery..simply beautiful. Of course the negative side...spiders, no bathroom/shower facility..lol..Hiking if great..and when you're in an open area at night, the stars are so clear. Like you can reach up and touch one..But be safe.
    We once went camping during frog mating season..All night long we heard, gurp..lol..it was so cute. I get goose bumps thinking how much fun we all had. We used to bring our dog, (Rott/Cujo) who'd swim and play with the beavers..lol..they'd allow him to get about 4', then SPLASH, smack their tails in the water, temporarily blinding him. (Not in a bad way, it was a game,) It was great. So have a good time.

I'd like to get one or two more H. sigillatus to add with the one I got from Aleya Garden. Make more compact.
    I looked on Ebay..There's another seller in Thailand who has it, but he has 8 or so transactions..no feedback to speak of. I know ppl have to start somewhere, but when it comes to buying plants from another country from soomeone you've never shopped with before, and/or very little feeback, it's a difficult decision.

What would you do? He's selling plugs, Buy Now for 9.99 plus 7.95 shipping.

Oh oh, problems w/the computer. Toni

• PRO
    14 years ago

Mike, have fun!!!

Toni, My lauterbachii was 5-6" long when I first got them from Logee's about 3-4 years ago. There are 2 bamboo hoops & 1 bamboo stick & 2 wood sticks from Dracena supporting the plant. I have most of my hoyas in plastic pots. Some are in clay pots so the plant can dry out faster.
    I've heard lauterbachii can be in full sun as long as you do it gradually but I think mine are getting enough sun light.

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Dee..hello...my sunroom is facing in 3 directions...west, north and east...however, I don't like calling it a "sunroom" as it gets so little sun....my house blocks it, other than an hour in the morning, and a maple tree blocks it in the afternoon. I do get some sun...unfortunately, the sun never reaches the hoyas that are hung in hanging baskets. I rely on artificial lighting. The fountain is very large...took 3 men and a bear dog to get it into the sunroom...though it's the best investment I ever made...it keeps the humidity no lower than 70% in the winter...and is almost always around 90% in the summer...too much like a sauna for me!! I love the sound of the water cascading down the hundreds of granite levels. Plus, I purchased it last October at 30% off...which is always a good thing! Patrick

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Toni apparently that plant is the flecked leafed variety of Hoya lacanosa. You will like that one it's a beautiful plant.

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan, you must have fed your Hoya Steroids...lol...Did you buy one or more plants? (Hoya L's)?

Patrick is your sunroom attahced to the house or separate? A green house?

Mike..I think Pug displayed one...which is what persuaded me to get it..hers is lovely..Hope it has as many spots..

I see someone else started a Lauterbachii thread..I'm gonna hop there..lol..
    I want to thank everyone for responding and being so helpful. You guys are great and knowledgeable..Toni

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Toni...my sunroom is attached to my house...actually to an addition to my house...so, my sunroom has windows on all 4 sides plus skylights...still not enough light!! Patrick

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Patrick, we up north have to make do with what we have..Do you have a pic of your sunroom?
    I have three..one was supposed to be a third bedroom, but in summer it's too hot, winter's too cold..for a human being..lol..

{{gwi:71712}}

{{gwi:81147}}

Each room has surrounding windows..though during winter, they get whatever sun available..thank goodness for artificial lighting..lol..

• patrick51
    14 years ago

Sorry Toni...I don't have a camera...simply because I'd never figure out how to post pictures on a computer...I'm totally "computer illiterate". If Johann had so much trouble posting pictures, I imagine I'm beyond hope. I just don't mix with "technology"...I've never owned a TV, a cell phone, a micro-wave, etc, etc. I DO know, however, how to shop and buy on the computer!! LOL Patrick

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Wow Toni...that's a LOT OF PLANTS!! Are you sure that's not a Greenhouse,lol...Beautiful!!

LOL Patrick...you NEED a camera!! How are we going to see all your wonderful new purchases(Hoyas) w/out a camera? You need to bid on a Camera on Ebay. We will help you with posting pictures. There is a link on here that explains it pretty well...If I can post pics so can you. I am about as "technology challenged" as one gets believe me,lol...

• powerargie
    13 years ago

Does anyone have a rooted clipping for trade? please let me know, I live in The Netherlands and it is almost impossible to find this Hoya where I live.
    Regards,
    Hernan

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio