Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

New Epiphytica update

dmichael619
12 years ago

Well the headache is almost over!!!!! The hoyas did not arrive with my mail today when it was delivered but they did arrive on the 2 PM truck at the post office. I was not able to leave work early as I had planned to do because as fate would have it someone called off today. I did not leave work until 3:30. Unfortunately this did not leave me time enough to drive from work go to the PO and get them, get back home get them sorted,boxed and re shipped today. Everything is ready to box them and ship first thing in the morning though.

I have already taken pictures of each persons order and forwarded it to them so check your email and you should have photos!!! Believe it or not considering how long they've been in that box, they actually look pretty good with the exception of just a few yellowing leaves.

Okay,who's hosting the next order!!!!! Patrick did I hear you say that you were game!!!

Comments (8)

• eye_love_begonias
    12 years ago

David - you are a ROCK STAR! I know I'm not alone in appreciating ALL the work and headaches you have been through to get these plants to all in this group order. Thank you SO much!
    If I lived nearby, I'd be taking you out for an ice cold beer (or cocktail/beverage of your choice!)
    Thanks again!

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ELB,

would you believe i'm sitting here drinking an ICE cold "icehouse "right now!!!!! It's a very rare occasion that I take a drink anymore but trust me I NEED IT!!! I ran out of packing tape while getting the hoyas packed so made a quick trip to wal-mart for more and decided to pick up a 12 pack while there!! I have all intentions on drinking myself to sleep tonight!!!

I began packing boxes around 4 pm my time and just finished about 20 minutes ago. With the Epiphytica hoyas and all the Ebay stuff I had to pack i've been packing boxes for just over 4 hours. I have to admit i'm tired of looking at hoyas and shredded paper for a while now!!!

david

• okie_deb
    12 years ago

Got my Thai box from David today!! Yippie!! All are now planted!

I'm hoping for the best with Hoya elliptica. It got broken in transit or in customs. I have 1 yellow leaf and one semi green leaf on the cutting to work with. The rooted base has no leaves after the break. Dischidia sp. 3 has quite a few yellow leaves but has lots of aerial roots to work with and several green leaves. The other 5 I ordered look great!

All in all I'm thrilled with how well they traveled and then sat in customs for 2 weeks! The were really nice size rooted plants with lots of vine.

Thanks again David for taking this on for the group of us!!,,,Debbie

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I got mine too- I chose deykeae and macrophylla, and there was only one really yellow leaf between the two! And the moss was still moist around the roots, too! They are both beautiful, though the deykeae didn't seem to fare quite as well as the macrophylla for some reason, but I'm sure both are going to be just fine! Thanks again for giving us the chance at a group order- you did a fantastic job, David!

Deborah

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

D'oh! I guess everyone is updating here. I started a new thread. Oh well. I actually wish now that I had ordered more.

Hi Debbie! I feel like I haven't seen you around much in a while, until lately.

I have to say again, thanks so much, David! I never would've gotten to order from Epiphytica if it weren't for this group order. Looking forward to the next one!

• okie_deb
    12 years ago

Hey Jane!! Yeah I don't hang too much in GW anymore but I do check in and lurk now and then. I come catch up with the Hoya forum.

I forgot to mention prior to planting I soaked all mine in VF-11. Gotta love that stuff!

The Hoya that shows not one iota of having traveled is the DS-70 variegated. It looks like Jack could of just handed it to me.

I ordered:

Hoya lacunosa cv. Eskimo (EPC-595)- few bruised leaves but lots of good leaves and airial roots at every node.
    http://www.epiphytica.com/shop/Hoyas/Hoya-lacunosa-snow-heart.jpg

Hoya sp. (DS-70) variegated (EPC-538)- traveled fantastically!
    http://www.epiphytica.com/shop/Hoyas/Hoya-sp-DS-70-var.jpg

Hoya cv. Rebecca (EPC-676)- new growth withered. Rest of plant did great.
    http://www.epiphytica.com/shop/Hoyas/Hoya-cv.rebecca-b.jpg

Hoya elliptica (Clone C) (EPC-322)- arrived broken. I cut at break and cut has 1 yellow and 1 semi green leaf to work with to root the cut. Rooted base has no leaves but has some a few nice hard roots so possibly will make new leaves in time or new vine.
    Jack didn't have a good pic of the leaves but they have the rounded edge,,,no pointedness.

Dischidia sp. 3 (EPC-D-039)- lots of yellow leaves but has some green sprinkled in among. I don't think it will be a problem.
    http://www.epiphytica.com/shop/Dischidias/Dischidia-sp3.jpg

Dischidia sp. 4 (EPC-D-040)- Love this one! Like D. ovata but pointed!
    http://www.epiphytica.com/shop/Dischidias/Dischidia-sp4.jpg

Dischida sp. 15 (EPC-D-029)- cute little round buttons. Shows no stress whatsoever. Lots of aerial roots. I can't wait to see the spikey flowers!
    http://www.epiphytica.com/shop/Dischidias/Dischidia-sp15.jpg

The elliptica in this Jack order makes my 5th different clone(?). I have to say I love the elliptica's! I got all but this rooted clone C as cuttings this summer.

I only wish I too had ordered more when I had this chance! When ordering you always later see ones you ask yourself "why didn't I notice this one before??". I guess I should just be thankful for these arriving in good shape huh?! haha.

Anxious to hear how everyone elses order fared and what they got!,,,Debbie

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

Everything's all potted up and in the aquarium! Gave me a chance to see how the Liddle group was performing since I had to take them all out to make space, so that was fun. ^_^

/David.

Thanks again for everything you've done. As Quinn says, I never would have been able to order from Jack if it weren't for you. And my days would be spent staring at his site like a little kid with his nose pressed up against the glass of a petstore window. So glad you had a nice cold one or two after this epic adventure (ran out of tape! wtf! arg!). You know, next time we do this, there should be a wee surcharge per participant so the host can go out and buy a bottle of wine or a liter of whiskey, depending on how bad customs is. ^_~

/Kids.

Just keep that deykeae nice and humid and warm for a while, if you can. That is one fussy plant IMO, and it will drop leaves one by one if it gets unhappy. But if you give it some extra snuggles it will cut it out and start putting out new growth right away.

/Debbie.

You got some great stuff! Thanks for posting all the links. LOVE that D. sp. 4 and 15! Gorgeous!

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice, GG! Will do! So far no leaf drop, and both the macro and the deykeae are perking up nicely. So far so good! lol

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner