Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this sound like H. longifolia ?

Posted by Phfurballs 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 17:13

I will try to get pics, but meantime, this newly acquired plant has very distinctive leaves. I'm wondering if it's H. longifolia, if I have that name right ?

Long, sharply pointed, very narrow leaves are quite a dark green, deeply Vee'd down the centres, with edging all around in a shade of maroon so dark it looks chocolate or even black. They're rather Goth looking, if that's not too fanciful a description ?

The longest leaf pairs are close to six inches long. A very few have slight reddish shading on them, from sun I'd guess, and in width, less than a half inch wide on each side of the centre Vee at most.

Virtually every node has short, skinny, greyish colour adventitious roots sprouting from both sides. The new, bare stem ends are the same extremely dark maroon colour as the leaf edges, looking nearly black.

Altogether a very distinguished looking plant even though there isn't a flower to be seen. It will be amazing when it flowers, though heaven knows how long a wait I'll have for that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this sound like H. longifolia ?

Sounds like wayetti to me. I have trouble keeping track of what's what in the world of narrow, long-leaf Hoyas, so I put together a sheet showing the ones I grow. If you'd like to have it, e-mail me through GW and I'll send it to you.

Denise in Omaha

o
RE: Does this sound like H. longifolia ?

Could be longifolia, could be wayetii. Getting a picture will be very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here