Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Lauterbachii & questions.

birdsnblooms
14 years ago

Last week I was reading a thread about H. Lauterbachii. I believe a picture was added too.

While reading the posts, my dh saw the pic of the flowers..he was even amazed at their size and beauty.

So, he went ahead and ordered this hoya as a surprise..from Logees..

Although I stopped ordering from Logees some time in the beginning of 2000, I have to admit, the H. lauterbachii is very very nice..Even though it's in a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" growing pot, when straigthened out, it stands a little over 27".

It's velvety leaves are cuddly soft..

I want to thank the person who started the Lauterbachii thread..lolol..

Now questions.

Perhaps I should have started a new thread because this involves all hoyas.

1. What is the best type of trellis to use for hoyas?

2. I bought a bottle of Eleanor's a few wks back, but haven't yet used it. Since my hoyas were fertilzed, (with other fertilizer, not Eleasnors) would spraying Eleanor's cause leaf/root burn? Would this be considered, fertilizer OD?

3. Pot size: I understand hoyas need to be potbound to flower, but when a new hoya is brought in, should it be repotted in a larger pot so roots and leaves have room to grow? Obviously, in most cases anyway, a young hoya isn't going to produce flowers the next day..so should hoyas have room to grow before worrying whether or not the roots are tight-fitting?

In other words, if a hoya arrives in a 2 or 3" pot, should it be repotting into a 4-6" for growth purposes? Thanks so much. Toni

Comments (76)

• patrick51
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Andrew...you simply cannot buy better hoyas from anyone than from Carol Noel...her hoyas are very nice sized, usually in bloom or close to blooming. She's in the process of "cutting" back her business...so, time is of the essence. I've received several orders from her...her shipping is very fast, reasonably priced and the plants are absolutely the best you can find. If you view her catalog online and don't see what you're looking for, e-mail her...she has so many hoyas that she doesn't have posted as she only has a few of. The woman is a real gem. Best wishes, Patrick

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    14 years ago

Andrew, I agree with Patrick..CN has really nice plants. I've purchased lots of plants from her, always happy with the purchase.

Jan

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Yes I realize how wonderfull she is now. She had been givng me advice on lauterbachii like I had said, and I told her that I was considering placing an order from another vendor, how insensitive of me, I felt like a complete a******! she emailed me back this morning after I had made a huge apology and she told me not to worry about it. She is going to start an affinis for me, and a few others. She has a large lacunosa ready for me now for $12.00! I love lacunosa! I can tell this is the beginning of a wonderfull friendship. She just seems like such a wonderfull, caring person. I have ordered plants from places before where they were out of stock on something, and they told me I would still have to pay in advance in order for them to start plant. She told me that she had affinis, but nothing she shas started yet. She said she would start it for me now. That is so kind! I can tell that this is the beginning of a long lasting friendship. I feel honored that she wanted to even help me like that! I will keep everyone posted on my order from Carol.

• tishfromwis
    14 years ago

Can you post a link to Carol Noel, please?

Thanks!

Tish

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

He probably can't, the post most likely won't go through. Just do a Google search for 'Hawaii', 'hoya', and her name, and it'll probably be first in the list of results.

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Hi Tish,
    Her nursery cannot be mentioned here due to the plant group she belongs to spamming GW. If you put hoyas and Hawaii into google, the first link that comes up should be the group of nurseries that she belongs to. Then you can find her nursery from that group. It's pretty easy to do. If you have problems, send me a private email.
    Good luck,
    Mike

• treelover3
    14 years ago

Oops, I started this post and then had to do something else. Sorry for the double post of info.
    Mike

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Tish I can do it like this. The first name of her site is Aloha. The second name is tropicals. I have not ordered from her yet, but she is a very sweet, and kind person. She is giving me some great deals, and she is very knowledgable about hoyas. You will not be dissapointed!

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

"Puglvr1,
    I would like to know what eriostemma that it that you had in the pic."

I posted a picture of Variegated Macrophylla above...but as far as I know that's a hoya not a Eriostemma? I'm not a hoya expert so I'm not positive? HTH

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Oh I am sorry about that. Thank you for the ID though, I will let Carol Noel know, and see if she has it. I really like the color of the foliage, so nice and red!

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I am excited to say, I will have an order from Carol Noel. A large Ruthie, large lacunosa, and small hellwigiana. 12.00 was all shipping charges were! That amazes me! I bought a small caimito fruit tree from Florida, and shipping was $26.00!

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Yes, Carol is simply the BEST! I order from her frequently, and as said above, most of the plants are either blooming, in bud, or have peduncles. And her prices are amazing.

She is not downsizing though. I believe she's revamping her site and she will be back in action. Not the same as before, but she will still be up and running.

I recently ordered that huge H. odorata that she has on her "large plants and specimens" page. Can't wait to get it! I will definitely post a picture.

Hoping to see pics of your plants that you get from her, Andrew. You will be thrilled.

Jan, WOW...how large your lauterbachii has grown!! That's amazing - great growing!!

Gabi

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Ihad an email from Carol herself saying she is downsizing, and time is of the essence. I recommend anyone wanting to order from her they need to do so now.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Howdy Everyone..My modem kicked the bucket last Monday night, right after bidding on 2 Hoyas..lol..

Who is Carol? Is she in HI?

Andrew, I know it's difficult, but try being optimistic. You never know what a plant will do. Truly. I've been growing plants many many years, (not gonna convey numbers) lol, over those times, my plants bloomed, grew larger, or survived despite what people and plant books said possible.
    The thing to do is, read everything you can on Lauterbahii. Then, try duplicating..it's not that difficult, really. First, invest in a humidifer, indoor fountain, and lighting. Gro lights are fine, but I also use two bulbs..one white cool, one white warm.
    Setting a plant on pebbles, misting and taking to the sink to shower/hose once a wk works wonders.
    I don't mist fuzzy plants, (African Violets,) so I need to seek info on misting Lauterbachii, find out if will caused leaf mars.
    If anyone here knows, l'd appreciate an answer.

I too am going to Google, Bing, and Yahoo information on Lauter's habitat. It'd be a miracle if, one day, those huge flowers were to grow on my Lauterbachii..I swear, if buds formed, I wouldn't touch it. No rotating like other plants..lol.

So, can someone tell me about Carol? Is she going out of business or closing for winter? Thanks, Toni

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Andrew, Carol has technically downsized, yes. This happened a while ago. But we are close friends and speak quite often, and I know for a fact that she is not shutting down and time is not of the essence. Basically, she decided to enjoy her retirement (which she deserves!) and downsize her catalogue (to less common hoyas) - this was about a year or so ago. I know you mean well, but I don't want people to think that she is finishing up her business.

So nobody that wants to buy from her "needs" to do it now. No need to think that if you don't buy from her now, there will be no other chance.

She specifically told me in an email a few days ago that she still has a number of hoyas and will be re-doing her website fairly soon.

Toni, Carol is the seller in HI. And no, she is not going out of business. If anyone here wants to find out for themselves, just email her and she'll tell you :)

Gabi

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Ok here's an update from Carol - she said to just be patient because she is just getting the photos to up on her website - so no need to rush (actually, if you wait for the new photos you'll probably be tempted into getting more hoyas, so maybe get them now before the temptation sucks you in!!).

Gabi

• gabro14
    14 years ago

One more thing. I just noticed that someone above mentioned that the first name of her site is "Aloha" and the second is "Tropicals" (meaning alohatropicals.com) - this is not Carol's site.

Gabi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gabi, I'll email Carol@somewhereInHi.com....lol..It's okay..I really dont need anymore hoyas anyway..yeah right..I have a few on bid, oopps better check to see if I was outbid..the auctions end today.

Funny, I checked alohatropicals.com, but didn't see anything that drew me to them..know what I mean? And prices were way too high..30.00 for a basic house plant..

My dh keeps asking when the Lauterbachii is going to bloom..lolol..he has a weird sense of humor..

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Toni,

You can do a google search under the first word "Aloha" and second word "Hoya". The top one is her website.

Warning though: if you don't want to buy plants, don't go to her website!! Very tempting to say the least!

Ha - I don't anymore plants either! I don't think any of us do...but that's hoya addiction for ya!!

Good luck on your ebay bid :)

Gabi

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hopefull authur,
    If you email Carol, you will see her prices maybe diffrent then on her website. She is sending me a large lacunosa for 12.00, a large ruthie for 15, and another small one for 12. You have to ask her, and she will give you a deal if you buy more than five. I know her hoya prices are very reasonable, not like Logees, I payed 30.00 for my lauterbachii. At the time they were a new item, and very expenensive for four inch pot!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gabi and Andrew..I found her site, but didn't see many hoyas..I did find green hoops..the prices were very reasonable, but when it came to shipping, oh boy..
    Price for 50 plastic hoops..shipping 17.00
    Then I changed it to 20 hoops, and shipping was 19.00..lol.
    Should I email her or does 17.00-19.00 for shipping plastic, not bamboo, wire sound right?

There are 3 pages, on the bottom of her page, of hoyas..Are these the hoyas everyone is talking about?

Here are the hoyas I'm looking for..lol
    Caudata
    parasiticas, 3 different colors
    macrophylla, variegated/white edge
    imbricata, if I can find at a reasonable cost..a baby will do..actually, a baby will do for all..lol..by baby I mean, 7-10" with a few stems..Am I asking for miaracles?

I'm watching some hoyas on Ebay..Anyone have info or comments?

Carnosa, Strawberry and Cream
    Lacunosa 'snow cap'
    CV Rubra and variegated Carnosa combo
    Callistophylla
    Retusa
    Lanceolata 'Luis Bois'
    Carnosa Rubra Variegata

That's it for now..lol..But those named on top are the Hoyas I'm drooling over..
    If anyone shops at Asiatica, they have H. parasiticas and macrophyllas in different colors..
    Same with Aleya Gardens..they have beautiful colors..

• PRO
    14 years ago

Carnosa ST & Cream is Carnosa KQ. Carnosa Rubra is Carnosa KP, you can buy those 2 plants cheap at the box stores.

• mdahms1979
    14 years ago

Thirty dollars might seem expensive for a Hoya but you have to remember that Hoya/Eriostemma lauterbachii is not at all common hence the higher price tag. I recently got a cutting of lauterbachii from Thailand and it cost $15 U.S so $30 for an established rooted plant seems appropriate.

Toni I would go for the more unusual and difficult to find plants not the common ones. You can get Hoya carnosa varieties easily in most local greenhouses or home improvement stores and trading is always possible because of how common this Hoya is. Hoya carnosa is a great plant but be careful what you buy because you could very well end up with duplicates that are misnamed. I think a standard Hoya carnosa plus one of the variegated varieties like Hoya carnosa 'Krimson Princess' pretty much covers the bases when it comes to Hoya carnosa.

Mike

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Toni,

That can't be right on the shipping cost...her email addy is on her site, so you can email her and ask her. Also, she only sells wire hoops and bamboo hoops - no plastic hoops. She has green wire hoops that are great...I bought a 20 pack from her a while back - it's a great size for medium and small plants.

Yes, she does have 3 pages in her catalog currently. And yes, she doesn't have many hoyas - but as I said above she will be adding as soon as she uploads her photos. Did you look at her large plants page? WOW!!! I just bought that H. odorata - I had to have it!!

Gabi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, I think if someone buys few plants a year or has Bill Gate funds, lol, 30.00 for a plant is pocket change. I'm always looking for deals/sales. A seller on Ebay has/d Lauterbacchii for, I believe 8.99, smaller than the one I got from Logee's, but had 3 or 4 stems, whereas mine has 1.

Actually, unless we drive 20+ miles to two nurseries, both opposite directions, it's hard finding Hoyas, even Carnosas. Every so often HD may have one, but rare. We're nowhere near Lowes. It's really difficult finding anything rare here anymore..Many 'family-owned' nurseires are going or gone. It's terrible. Even Frank's which was a chain store known for their plants..indoor and out. But I see your point about Carnosas..Is it like, 'if you've seen one....?' lol

Gabi, the numbers were computed when I clicked on Buy. After typing in shipping info, that's what popped up. thought the wire hoops had green plastic on the outside?? No? What material covers the wire?

H odorata...I'll have to find it..but it sounds like it's very fragrant..scent up the house..ummm. Good luck..I went hoya crazy tonight..Best hide my cc statement..lol..I really must stay away from Ebay, nurseries, anywhere that sells plants..lol..
    Well, it's 1am..best get to bed..take care and thanks for all the help..Toni

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Toni,

I'm sure it was automatically computed, but it just doesn't make sense. Maybe something is messed up on the site? If you really want them, then I'd just email her and ask how much shipping is. She's so sweet and will get back to you right away.

As for the hoops, I must've misunderstood what you said. I thought you said they were plastic hoops, and the only ones I know of that she sells are metal and bamboo. But yes, I would assume the wire is covered by some sort of plastic coating. They are still wire hoops though! :)

You nailed it on the head with H. odorata!! It's called that because it is so fragrant. I tried a cutting of it once from David Liddle, but it never rooted. It's one of those thin-leafed ones that are difficult to root after traveling so long (at least for me!).

So what do you mean by "hoya crazy". What did you get?? You can't tease us like that :) Any pics?

Gabi

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Gabi,
    I am sorry. I must have misunderstood her email. Hopefull author it doesn't make sense with shipping cost. I would agree about contacting her directly. She is going to send me a large ruthie, A large lacunosa that is blooming and another one I cant remember the name of. It i supposed to have really nice red leaves, and mellon scented flowers. That one was the only small one for 12.00 I think. The shipping was 14.00 for three hoyas, coming all the way from Hawaii in three days. I think the rate is impressive! I understand the bill gates thing, but you pay for what you get, and everyone that has dealt with her has had positive feedback, I would reconsider, at least email her!

• PRO
    14 years ago

Gabi, I meant to say thank you for your compliment on the previous post. I saw a Dracana stick I used for support in that pot with a leaf popping out(I removed), I hope it's not rooting because I don't know if living support is a good thing or not. Maybe????

Jan

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Toni,
    You asked if anyone had comments on the plants you were considering. I have one on the H.carnosa rubra verigata. I bought one from a high end nursery about a month ago, I bought it b/c it looked like it would be blooming soon, due to the size. And it may, but once I got it home and started looking at it, I realized there are so many leaf variations going on in there, I don't like that in a plant. From what I've read here, it is b/c the plant is reverting back to the original carnosa. Some of the plant is verigated with white, pink and green. Some of it is larger leaf solid green, some smaller leaf solid green, and there is even a curled up leaf that looks like H. compacta growing in there. It definitley isn't my favorite plant. I may change my mind if/when it blooms.

I did take some cuttings from the verigated leaves and I will try to keep all of the solid green ones cut off so it will stay verigated (I was told to do that to keep it verigated).

I got a H. rubra cutting from Denise, so when I saw the tag on this one that said H. rubra I was confused. They don't even look like the same plant. But Denise cleared it up for me, the one I got from her is the true H. rubra. I like it A LOT more!.

JMO,
    Maid

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I haven't replied..Last Monday, my husband was in a motorcycle accident and was taken to the ER by ambulance. I went to the hospital daily, and since he's come home, I've been busy caring for him.

Gabi and Andrew..$17 & 19.00 were the amounts that popped up after clicking on 'compute shipping cost'..more often than not, these numbers are incorrect, so I'm sure you're both right the price is lower. Every so often, when I place an order, pay, I end up getting refunded..The overpayment isn't a number I added..amounts are computed on the site. The refund is then submitted to Paypal. As a matter of fact, I got two refunds from orders placed last week.

Gabi, I thought the wire was covered with green plastic. Simiar to electric wire, know what I mean? Pics look like pliastc..Is it possible they're painted green? lol
    What do I mean by Hoya Crazy? In the last month or so I've literally doubled and a half my hoya collection..A few more are on the way..This has to stop..my dh finally said no more plants..lol..he's right..financially and space-wise..I'll take pics later today..
    I ended up ordering two more Hoyas from Accents, they arrived yesterday..Won a 'snowcap' on Ebay..expecting 3 more from Thailand, and hoping to win one more auction on Ebay.

Andrew, you got a great deal. Some Ebay sellers charge 9 and change 'shipping' for a 5.00 plant..
    These charges are really handling fees..When I get a package I ck shipping cost..Some aren't close to what I paid.
    Andrew you said you pay for what you get..I agree with you to a degree. Some of my plants were 1.00, sitting in what I call, the 'dead cart,' at local stores..Some of these plants are now trees..
    A few times I ordered from well-known nurseries where costs are on the high side..price of plants and shipping..some plants were in terrible condition..brown spots, torn foliage..so, it depends..

Hi Maid..oh now I'm really confused..lol..I thought plants reverted to green only when they don't get enough sun/light?
    Ever notice how leaf colors dull during winter months? Variegated plants sometimes turn green or lose their variegation..
    Maybe you mean something else regarding H. rubra..???
    Ever notice how different two of the same plants look depending on the site? lol..Think they tamper with colors or lighting. It's especially noticeable with variegated plants, or those that have white..I got suckered buying plants because of 'one' white leaf..they focus the camera on the white leaf..lol..what you end up with with is a green plant with one white leaf..lol.

Maid, would you happen to have pics of both Rubras you can post? Thanks, Toni

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Toni, ya I can post a pic. I don't know how close up it is, I may have to take another pic to show what i'm talkin about.

I'm not kiddin tho, this plant has more leaf variation than any plant I have ever seen. Like I said it's not my *Fav*.

Heres the whole plant notice the solid green and veregated leaves.. . .

{{gwi:977258}}

And heres a close up of one of the stems, you can see more going on in the background of this one.

{{gwi:977260}}

This isn't a very old (to me) plant. It was like this when I bought it.

Maid

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Hi Toni,

Hope your husband is ok - sorry to hear that.

As for everything in your post about the wire hoops and shipping - look at my most recent post above your's. I covered all that but you must've missed it with what's going on with your husband. But basically, no they are not painted green. They are covered with a plastic coating, but they are still made of wire, and therefore are bendable (unlike plastic trellises).

I hope your DH gets better fast,
    Gabi

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maid, I notice carnosas have a similar problem. Several years ago I bought H. carnosa 'tricolor.' Home Depot sells the same Carnosa, but its tag reads, H. carnosa 'trio'..it's the same hoya. I'm looking at a seller on Ebay who has this hoya..he's got H. 'exotica'...they are so very pretty..ooohhh..but promised dh no more plants.. :(
    Do you think all Carnosa's have this problem?

Gabi, thanks. Dh is getting better..He broke his collar bone and 3 or 4 ribs..possible crack of his rotator cuff, too. Tried getting info from the hospital..What a farce!

Oh Gabi, I believe you..lol...I just meant the green looked like plastic..if material is what you're referring to. Is it? Oh, I was kidding about being painted green..ROFL..Notice the 'LOL' after I made that comment.
    As soon as my cc drops some, I'll contact Carol..by that time she'll probably have all her new hoyas updated, too..oh boy, here we go..just what I need.
    Her hoops are well-priced..throw in a couple plants, and got myself plants from HI, too..lol..Toni

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

Hi Toni, yea, I'm sorry to hear about your DH. Bet he's sore. Those boo boo's really hurt. Hang in there I know nursing can be a demanding, thankless job.

Hun, I'm not the one to ask ?'s about hoyas (I'm too new) I was told by some experts here, this problem occurs quite often in this type of hoya.

I know it's hard to put the brakes on when it comes to buying hoyas. I have a wish list like you can't believe. I am getting one from CN here soon, hubby is getting it for me for an anniversary gift. I get to choose. That's a good thing, but then again not so good. . . it's so hard to choose. I asked him if HE wanted a hoya for his anni gift, I can't believe he said NO!. LOL. But I think I am going to get two. She made me a killer deal, and she is holding on to my H. montana so the shipping may not be as high. I think she may be busy with the death of David Liddle, she hasn't answered any e-mails for a few days. It's probably really hard on her, I think they were pretty close due to their connection w/ hoyas. But the way I look at it, the longer they are in her care the better their chances of surviving. . . longer lol.

Nice to see ya back, bet your plants missed you too :)

Maid

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Hi Toni,

Nevermind about the trellises! It's such a small thing to have such a long discussion about :)
    Was just trying to say that they are wire trellises - I was only trying to help you so that you didn't get a trellis that you thought was made of plastic. I get what you're saying about the plastic coating...my point was to let you know they are wire. I didn't think it would be an ongoing thing :)
    So let's just drop it, because there are more important things to think about (like your hubby and plants!!).

Take care and I hope for a fast recovery for your hubby,
    Gabi

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I recieved an email from Carol Noel today. I did not expect it, considering her friends passing. She let me know that they have been shipped out, I should be recieving them in a few days. I'm happy that are weather in New York is warming up again. I have not begun to haul my plants in for good yet. What a chore! But it is worth it. My mango tree has new growth, but this is the hoya forum, not the tropical fruit forum! I am excited to have my hoyas by Thursday this week! I will post pictures of my new hoyas when I get them!!

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Andrew,
    I didn't know you were from NY! Where in NY? I hear ya...I can't believe this weather! I almost put all my summer clothes away and then BAM...hot weather again! I've been checking the weather to see if I should bring my plants in, and just like you, I haven't started the "process" yet. It's strange how every Fall I find that I ran out of room for my plants that went outdoors during Spring/Summer!! Where did they fit before?? :)
    I received my H. odorata from Carol and I really need to post a pic - what a beauty! Looking forward to seeing your pics. And I would love to see your mango tree!

Gabi

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Andrew...Congrats on the new growths on your mango tree. I would love to see it also. Good luck with your new Hoya!

Gabi, I know its not the same...since I live in Fl, but I have a Mango tree in a pot also. I posted a pic below. I don't think Toni minds its a little off topic.

I got about 12-14 fruits for the first time this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:899979}}

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hello Gabi,
    I live in Fredonia NY, that is about an hour south of Buffalo, in Chautaqua county. I have a post, I think it is called My potted Cogshall. I bought it in Tampa when I went to visit family last June. It is not very large, I wanted to be able to carry it on the plane so I had to buy one of the smallest trees they had which was not easy considering they went up to about 4 feet tall, and were the same price. I know it will grow larger, as I have some buds that have matured and have opened up. Thank god it warmed up here, and our humidity has been above 70% for a few days now.
    Hey Pug,
    What kind of mango is that? I know I have seen it before and you posted it with the name of the tree, but I have forgot. How tall and wide is it? And how long has it been in that pot? It looks amazing but considering the Florida climate I am not surprised! I will be going back next summer I hope, but I am thinking maybe morre towards the fall. I did not like all the rain!

• gabro14
    14 years ago

Pug,

Wow! That is so cool. I love mangos...I hope you enjoy them! Congrats, and thanks for sharing that picture.

Gabi

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew, that Mango is a Glenn. It will be three yrs old next month, appx. a little over 5 ft tall from the bottom of the pot(20"). I just got done pruning it after I picked off all the fruits since it was getting too wide(5ft wide)Lots of new growths now.

Thanks Gabi, I love mangoes too...they were really delicious! That picture was taken around mid July.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

My Aloha order

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Hoya Lacunosa....I LOVE the fragrance on this one. All of my new arrivals had peduncles. Only one slight problem with Lacunosa. It had fire ants on the plant. I am picking them off slowly and killing them. I think later on I will give it a shower. Overall I am very pleased with CN's plants. Lacunosa is huge! Ruthie has a peduncle, and so does Hellwigiana. I will definetly order more from her. Cant beat the prices. You definetly get high quality plants from CN!

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

My Ruthie is at least 3 feet long with one peduncle on it. I am hoping my warm house and bright light will keep the peduncle from falling off. We will see!

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Andrew,
    What a surprise when you opened the box! I hope none escaped to make a colony in your home! I hear their bite is triple ouch!
    You picked some very lovely Hoyas and she sent you some very nice sized plants for your money!
    Congrats and happy growing!,,,,Debbie

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Thank you Debbie,
    I am going to give Lacunosa a shower, I don't think they will survive long in this enviroment, no queen and no food! I am the most psyched about the Ruthie. I own Lauterbachii and it is my personal mission to get both Eriostemmas to bloom, and with Ruthie having a peduncle all ready I think it will happen. My house is always warm, and I run humidifiers in fall to Spring.

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Debbie,
    I just unclipped Eriostemma Ruthie. Only one pedunlce, but the vine is almost six feet tall! I cannot believe it. I swear by CN! I can't believe she got kicked off of Garden Web, and just for defending someone? What's up with that?

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

I have been emailing CN for past two days about fire ants. Not only has she offered to replace the lacunosa, but she has offered me a free one on top. This is why I swear by her, and have so much respect for her. I emailed her photos of the fire ants on the plant and floating in a bucket of water. I felt bad(I think just as bad as her!) about contacting her but I could not get rid of them. So far I still have them, but I am going to try drowning them, again. I want people to know that this problem is not usual for her and I am going to order again from CN in the spring.

• cablock1
    12 years ago

LOL. I had to smile when i saw your picture of your Hoya lauterbachii happily sitting on your kitchen counter near your toaster. I have the same hoya in a hanging basket in my kitchen window too. It got leaf burn one day when my husband moved the toaster exactly under my lauterbachii & made his toast! The hot air rising from the toaster made the bottom leaves crispy! (and it had been growing so well too)So the lesson from this story is keep those hoyas away from toasters and from hungry husbands too!

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Howdy All,

My God, has it been 2-years since I started this thread? The thread I forgot existed. :)

This morning, while checking mail, there stood a solo email with the heading, 'Lauterbachii & questions.'
    Guess I checked the notiification box, but cannot recall receiving other notifications to this thread before today..Strange.

I hope all here are well. Preparing for summer.
    Soon, 'I pray' those of us who live in cold climates will once again set Hoyas outside for summer vacation.

Although my Lauterbachii is still alive, it looks NOTHING like it did Aug 26. 2009. One problem is lack of sun.

If I could root Hoyas, I'd cut its trunk in sections, then root each to start over. But, I've never had luck rooting Hoya cuttings.

Cablock, Wonder what was going through your husbands mind after 'toasting' your Hoya. lol.

Actually, my Hoyas are nowhere near the toaster, or even in the kitchen. The counter was the best location to snap a photo.

One problem is kitchen has two windows, both north-facing. Plants before either window are low-light types. Ferns, etc.
    Actually my Hoyas are kept in the upstairs bedroom and bathroom..bedroom windows face south, bathroom, west.

Second problem---Bird cages are less than 10' away from the counter w/toaster. If a plant was left unattended, each and every leaf would end up chewed to pieces. LOL.

Wish I could hang Hoyas in our kitchen window like you, only 'far away from the toaster, lol.'

Does your lauterbachii stand erect in its hanging basket?

Hot or cold air hitting a plant will destroy leaves. A similar thing happened with Chlorophytum 'Fire-Flash.'
    I placed the Chlorophytum on a plastic container near the water heater vent..Outside. Guess someone was showering. Minutes later, leaves wilted. Before I had a chance to relocate, I noticed foliage was also marred. They looked frost-bitten. Never again. Learned a lesson the hard way.

Is your Hoya okay now?

Andrew, don't know if you're still around, but it's funny finding you here, too. lol. Toni