Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

my new hoya baby 'Kentiana'

dmichael619
11 years ago

While cruising through the Ebay hoya pages a few days ago, I ran across this little baby!!!! Now for those who have known me for any length of time you know already that I have no business on Ebay looking for hoyas to begin with!!!! I don't need anymore but this little birdie on the shoulder keeps telling me to get more,get more and in this case i'm glad the birdie told me what to do!!!! It's not every day that a new hoya comes along that I get excited about but after seeing this little variegated beauty,even in a "Common" hoya I just had to get it!!!! I can only imagine what a full 6" basket of this cascading at 3 feet long will look like!!! Hopefully, I won't have all that long to wait until I find out either!!!!

Hoya kentiana variegated form

Comments (12)

• Denise
    11 years ago

Hi David,

Sooo, you're the one I couldn't get that away from! I bid on it a few times, but the bidder before me (you, I assume) was higher than I could go and it kept coming back "outbid". Well, it's good to know it went to someone who will take good care of it! I'll be watching for another one - it's a B-E-u-A-T-Y, you lucky dog!

Denise in Omaha

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Denise,

It wasn't me!! Seriously. The seller had 2 auctions up and running for this plant at the same time. One was for bids only and the other had the option to buy it now. I took the option to buy it now as I had a feeling that the auction that was being bid on would eventually go higher than the buy it now price. The buy it now was for $49.95 plus shipping. A bit pricey but I wanted this hoya so I splurged!!!!

He had 6 available with the buy it now option and so far 5 of them have been sold. I just checked not a minute ago and there is still a single plant left with the buy it now option.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just checked the listing for the plant that people are actually bidding on and it's currently at $40 and still has over 2 days to go before the auction ends. That plant in my opinion will go well over the $50 that I paid for mine,if it doesn't i'll be very surprised.

I'm also interested in knowing just how long this plant has been around,why we haven't heard about it before now and who found it!!!!!

david

• scsva
    11 years ago

It is a beaut. I didn't bid on it but people are going crazy for it. Over on cubits, Ric said he had it. If you know him well enough, maybe you can ask where he got it.

Jodie at CBFM is making quite a profit off these. Good for him!

Susan

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan,

if you're speaking of Ric who lives in Florida,I do know him. Well not in person but he and I have bought hoyas from one another,traded hoyas with each other and gone in on a couple of group orders together. In fact he and I just did an order to Epiphytica (Thailand) together last month. They have a few variegated hoyas in Thailand that i'd LOVE to get my hands on but the vendors who have them either don't want to part with them or they want a small fortune for them. last year I was looking to get one of the two variegated clones of hoya pacyhclada that they have in Thailand and if I remember correctly it was pretty close to $300 that I was told could get me a plant with 4-6 leaves. That won't happen in this lifetime,I don't care how choice the plant is or how bad I want it. UNLESS!!!!! I hit the lottery for somewhere around $999,999,999.99 I'm not greedy and to show that they can keep the penny,I don't need a billion $$$$

david

• scsva
    11 years ago

Yes Ric in Florida. He's had a lot of nice hoyas on Ebay lately. Someone on cubits wanted to do a trade and Ric just happened to mention that he had the variegated kentiana.

It is amazing that all of a sudden, this plant is showing up.

• suetran1
    11 years ago

My ghost!! David
    Never enough for you, I stopped buying plant for a year.
    But still love the pachy. variegated.
    I hope you can get it one day.
    sue

• Denise
    11 years ago

Hi David,

I didn't see the "buy it now" variegated kentianas. How weird that I missed them because I was scouring eBay to see if I could find another when it get past my budget. But either way, $50 for one Hoya is over my budget. I quit at $40 and that was a stretch for me. But I couldn't resist trying...

Anyway, congrats on such a nice aquisition!

Denise in Omaha

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

David that is a gorgeous plant! I had not even seen a variegated form of Hoya kentiana before if my memory is serving me correctly.

Mike

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Susan,
    i'm gonna have to talk to Ric, he mentioned wanting to do a trade but never told me he had this plant. Looks like he's been holding back on me!!!! No really Ric's a good guy and an excellent trade partner. I've been dealing with him for several years now and have never been disappointed with anything that he's sent to me and he often sends extras.

Sue if I stopped buying hoyas life wold have no meaning!!!! I'm a junkie and I admit it!!! hoyas are very muck like crack for me ( and no i've never done the real thing) maybe I need an intervention!!!! I can only imagine what it's like for a drug addict trying to get off of whatever it is that they're on because I know what it wold be like for me if I couldn't get any new hoyas for a year!!!! I'd most likely be down at the funny farm in one of those tight white jackets with my arms wrapped around my back jumping up and down and bouncing off the walls!!!!!

Denise, the second listing could have very easily been overlooked as there was only one listing separating the 2 kentianas. If you scrolled down too fast like I did the first time I saw the listing,chances are you went right over it without even knowing. The last plant with the option to buy now is gone and it was a forum member who got it because they sent me an email jokingly saying that they need to be hung from the highest tree for letting me lead them into temptation!!!!

Mike this is also new to me. I am aware that the Thai's have a new variegated form of hoya obscura (which they are clinging tightly to) but this one apparently has been riding under the radar for a while especially if someone has a plant of it large enough to propagate already.

I want to know how the plant came about. Was it just some vines on a mother plant that had variegation on them or did man have a hand in it. I don't know just how true this is but I was told some years ago, from a source who should know that if seeds from a plant were exposed to the slightest amount of radiation that the seedlings would be variegated. maybe the next time a hoya seed pods ripens i'll throw them into the microwave for 1 second and then plant them and see what happens. I want it to be seed from a hoya like lambii can you imagine what a variegated hoya lambii would look like!!!

• scsva
    11 years ago

David, I agree with you about what it would be like if I couldn't get a hoya.

I don't know if everyone remembers when the variegated macrophylla first appeared on Ebay. Everyone went crazy and it sold for over $300. Now we can get it for $10 or $15. That will happen with the variegated Kentiana after a while because it will be readily available.

But enjoy your plant. It is a real beauty!

Susan

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Congratulations, David (and anonymous other forum member ^_^) on your new variegated kentiana. This is the story on the origin, from CBFM, courtesy of Debbie.

"A friend of mine here in Florida had this variegated one sport on one of his H. kentiana and propagated it from that one."

I agree that there are quite a lot of lovely variegated Hoyas in the Thai collections now. I can't wait till more of them are available. I am kind of fussy about what variegation I like and what I don't, but these recent ones are ringing my bell for sure.

David, with all your seed pods, you might really get some interesting results, but it's hard to get around to doing it all, I know. :P

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions