Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

The next round of applause goes to...

greedygh0st
12 years ago

So, I spent the whole weekend rearranging my plants so that the Hoyas can bogart all the artificial lighting this winter instead of turning forest green and sulking about being overwatered.

This involved the following acts:

1. Cleaning and spraypainting a bunch of old dining trays black.

2. Cutting eggcrating grids to fit unused flats.

3. Reorganizing all my flats so that they contained Hoyas of like height.

4. Switching around hoops, etc. so little plants had little hoops and big plants had big hoops, instead of vice versa as they were for some reason... and stealing back a bunch of surplus dragonflies in the process, for Hoyas in need.

5. Watering/treating/pruning

6. Realizing that my brilliant plan to put short plants on the short shelves wasn't going to work.

7. Cleaning the aquariums and moving them from room to room.

8. Moving EVERYTHING off the shelves to increase/decrease distances from various shelves.

9. Putting EVERYTHING back on the shelves.
  2. Cleaning and setting up humidifiers
  3. Beginning the process of moving ALL the violets to the office (Yeah, that's right, get out of here you lot!)
  4. Realizing that even with the Gesneriads relegated to a MUCH smaller shelving unit, I now only have an 'appropriate' amount of space/Hoya, not the surplus I had expected. >_>'>_>' >_>'''

So after going through all that I thought...

I bet I'm not the only person who has gone through a ton of work for their plants lately, which they couldn't brag/complain about to anyone.

So let's hear it! What awesome feat of plant ownership have you accomplished lately? What slavering hordes of pests have you extinguished? What dingy festering medium have you cleaned out from long-neglected roots? What plant have you brought back from the brink of death?

Tell us your deeds and WE WILL ALL APPLAUD YOU! And possibly shower you with chocolate and baby penguins, should the circumstances permit.

And no, you don't have to shower ME with praise. I just feel better having said it out loud, because that was ... a LOT of work!

Comments (24)

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Well, GG... I will applaud you, sounds like a very busy day at your house!.. and as for my work.. well I just unloaded that list to you on my very own thread!... I've just plain learned alot about HOYAS today... and not a whole heck of a lot else! Hooray!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

GG, you have been a busy girl. My work to rearrange my hoya that are on the patio has been temporarily postponed due to hurricane IRENE. I'm watching the weather channel to see how close this one is coming to us. By the end of the week I'll have to move all the hanging hoya inside to the shower rod, the trays to the bathtubs, and then wherever there is room for the rest. I dread the thought of bringing them inside, because the will come in with ants and anoles. I can spray for the ants, but I hate to kill the little anole because they eat the bad bugs.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

I too will applaud you GG! I wish I can say I've done even a tenth of what you've accomplished! I still have till December before I have to worry about bringing any plants inside and that's only "if" a frost or freeze" is expected...so I have 3 whole months to worry about it,lol...
    I do envy you guys getting some much needed relief from all the heat and humidity that is still in store for me for a quite a while. Its always a trade off isn't it!

I have repotted some plants the last few days and received a few rooted cuttings from a dear and very generous friend!!

I really need to take a breather and not add much more...the ever famous words "Very little room" left!! I know I've been saying this for over a year...and has that kept me from getting more hoyas? >NO,lol...

Hi Eileen! Learning about hoyas is always a good thing. Soon enough you will be just as addicted as the rest of us!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Ima...We must have been posting at the same time. I sure hope you don't get any of Hurricane Irene's wrath...it looks like its going to miss me entirely. Doesn't even look like we're going to get much rain (although we need rain badly). I know you live on the East Coast...please stay safe!

Nancy

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

/Ima.

Oh wow. I have to say that the thought of battening down the Hoyas for a hurricane kind of makes my life seem easy.

I had to look up what an anole was. Are you talking about little lizards coming in with your plants (or perhaps little superheroes)? LOL My friend from Baton Rouge is always complaining about lizards skittering around and I think it sounds like a ton of fun. But maybe I would feel differently if they were really wandering around. No... I definitely want some anoles. All I have to eat the bad bugs are spiders and lizards are way cuter! Maybe you can send me a box. ^_~

/Pug.

Haha well I'm liking the slight decrease in heat for sure, but I'm hoping we have a long fall to match our long spring, so I don't have to start paying heating bills anytime soon. D:

I don't know what is wrong with me but I've been super not. in. the. mood. for repotting lately. I was actually so lazy the other day that when I needed to put a plant in a hanging basket, I just dropped its pot in there instead of potting it in there properly. It could have used a slightly larger pot and I'm really going to regret it in the spring when it is impossible to extracate, but I just keep telling myself: Nah, put it off till the spring.

So yeah, way to go! And congratulations on the new rooted cuttings. :D

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

Hi Puglvr!... the learning is constant lately... the addiction!.. Just received 1st one ordered from Joni only yesterday.. and I have already made a "wishlist" on her site!... and most were out of stock... but today.. the notification.. they're back in stock... self-control...self-control... hmmm?( I do have 3 at home.. oops.. now 4), and just wanted to share, the 4-legged creature in my life is a sweet 9 year old rescue pug... had her for 3 years and we are sooooo fond of each other!... Peggy!... except for my grandchildren... the love of my life!...

GG... you weren't in the mood to repot !... well.. I've not been in the mood to make my dinner for the past 3 nights... too busy with my nose in the Hoya Forum!!!.. I think that's addiction in the offing!...

Autumn is in the air in Vermont... 51 at 5:40 this morning (so in the 40's overnight).. brought the plumeria and desert rose in the house last night.. and had the quilt on the bed... with the windows closed!... yikes.. its over already!... summer.. they're getting shorter every year!..

Quick question> I am so excited that Sue Tran has mailed me some/few ??? however many of her newly arrived Pachychlada seeds.. told me to plant as soon as they arrive.. so from NC to VT... 4/5 days... mailed on Tuesday.. so.. Sat/Mon!.. assuming they are still viable on Monday.. what to I need to have set up and ready as far as medium and container... I have AV soil and cactus mix.. (on hand).. and few various sized clear plastic containers w/lids (if needed).. I want to be ready to get them into the "birthing room" or the "incubator"... so... please give me your suggestions.. a major task for a relative newcomer.. but.. what have I got to lose???? ugh... can't think of it!... thanks... Eileen

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Well, it looks like the hurricaine is going to miss us. It will be offshore. Very good news for us here in Florida. BUT very BAD NEWS for those in the Carolinas and the NE area. That looks like where it's heading. I think David is in it's path. I hope his hoya are all in his greenhouse. They should be safe in there.

GG, if I could I would send you some little lizards (anole) but I don't think they would live boxed up with no light and air. They are cute. My dogs chase them and I have to yell at them to stop. They chase anything that moves, even leaves. LOL.

@Eileen--I sowed my pachyclada seeds in my regular hoya mix. Just lay them on top of moistened mix or vermilculite and then cover. Mine germinated the very next day. I can see seven little green sprouts. They have no real leaves yet but I'm watching them. I had received obovata seeds a few weeks ago, and only one has germinated from that batch. It is still looking the same. No really big growth on that one yet. I hope that one makes it.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Eileen! Aren't pugs Great? I guess I'm biased,lol...Congrats on your new family member and I'm sure your new Pug just loves you for rescuing her and a very cute name "Peggy" you gave her! My pug "Max" says Hi to Peggy!

Ima...Thank God Hurricane Irene is going to miss us! I hope everyone else that's in its path will be safe!

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

/Eileen.

The daytime temperatures are still spiking here. I wish I was in Vermont with nice cool nights. D: I was just feeling lucky that ours are in the 60s.

Pugs are totally cute and I'm glad you rescued one. ^_^

/Ima.

Nice job on getting those pachycladas (and obovata) going!! I hope I am as successful as you. Pachyclada is one Hoya there can never be enough of!

Well, I suspect even if lizards could magically be shipped through the mail, they wouldn't be very happy here during the winter, locked up indoors with my cat. Too funny about your dogs chasing them. I'd like to see that.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I was very busy last week trying to get my apartment organized and that of course involved some plant matters. I had a Hoya party last Saturday with a few friends from out of town so I had to be sure that the projects I had been working on were completed in time.
    The largest project was the refinishing of a large horizontally oriented book shelf and a small table, both being refinished to match the rest of the furniture. Because paint takes about a week to cure before you can use the surface I had a huge mess of plants and books and bits of furniture all over the place. After getting everything in place I can't help but think that my 30 some Kohlerias are sitting (on the bookshelf) in what would be prime Hoya growing territory.

I have yet to even consider preparing for the fall and I admit that I think it's beginning to make itself known. The last few nights have been cool with lows around 55F. I just know that I will be parting with even more of my plants come fall and many of my under-performing orchids will be sold off to make room on the light stands for the smaller or younger Hoyas.

Mike

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

puglvr!... Peggy is the sweetest little thing.. (getting a bit wider these days.. but.. we're a team.. so we do that together!...LOL.. She's actually been with me for 3 1/2 years.. so not really new.. but I would like to say... if I could (which I can't), I'd wouldn't mind having another pug!... they are soooo incredible.. she's on par with my grandchildren... a toddler (though Ethan just turned 4.. so quite the young "adult" these days!... ).. She loves to snuggle,hates rain and wet feet and loves anything FOOD... ppl food, cat food.. doesn't matter!.. not crazy about snow either!.. oh well.. she's a Vermont girl now! (formerly a Maryland breeder's dog.. one of many!)..

Ima... thanks so much for your words on the pachyclada seeds... I can't wait.. and hope they are still viable when they get here... !!! I'll keep you posted!

GG... I guess I thought it would be cooler in Neb right now than in VT... but we are definitely headed into Fall... that is not to say that we won't have some hot and humid days ahead... my plants are soaking up the warm sunshine today... As for the lizard discussion... hmm? not something I'd care for!..small garden variety snakes.. happy Daddy Long Legs (spiders).. and lots of toads.. but thank goodness.. no lizards!... eeeeewwww!.. sorry.

• tammypie
    12 years ago

My H. Cumingiana had spider mites and this stick film on the leaves. I put her in a north facing window and forgot her. I got this plant as a cutting from Christine Burton so this spring I decided to spray the little buggers off, give her a good bath, cut off the dead branches and take cuttings and replant them in the same pot. Now she's making a comeback and looking good. I'll post a pic soon.

My Hoya Serpens was ravaged by aphids. I would handpick them off but that was a waste of time. So I decided to use hot water to wash them off. Useless. Then I used bug spray for houseplants. It worked. But I had to do a major overhaul on her anyways - I cut off the good growth and replanted them in a new pot with new potting mix. Now she's growing back and all is well. I hope to have pics soon.

Do you guys get those pesky little gnats that live in the dry soil, I've got that issue now.

TPie

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Eileen,lol...YES I think most Pugs LOVES to eat (anything) not nailed down. I have the same problem with mine...He's a BIG boy!!

Tammy, I used to have those pesky knats too when I used bagged soils that contained Peat. This mix(Al's) I'm using now has gotten rid of them...thank goodness! Gosh, I hated those things flying around the house/plants! Great job on salvaging your Serpens, that would have been just awful if you lost it.

• moonwolf_gw
    12 years ago

GG, you sure have been busy!!! I have to get into gear next week getting all my supplies for my new cuttings. Potting soil, flower pots, orchid bark, and perlite. Ah a gardener's work is never done. I'll also be busy outside planting bulbs this fall: daffodils and crocuses so far but now I'm thinking of adding snowdrops and grape hyacinths. Then it'll be time to function on winter sowing :). Gardening's year round for me!

Brad

• bama_gardener
    12 years ago

Now I have learned something new. Those little green lizards with the rosy pink neck have a name - - - I never knew. The last two winters, I've had several spending the season in the greenhouse with me and my plants. I always hope there is enough for them to eat.
    This will be the first winter with hoyas and I'm hoping the greenhouse will be warm enough for them. I am going to try cuttings as well. The carnosa (solid green) was easy to root, but I want to try the DS-70 next.
    GG, you are one busy, ambitious lady. Love reading your posts. They are so informative!
    Beverly

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Everybody's been so busy! I've been working on putting up a greenhouse, which includes clearing and leveling a spot, cutting trees and branches, driving rebar, making a frame, and the like, plus gathering seeds(it's going to be a tropical-type greenhouse) for when it gets time to sow them, and also putting up one for my mother, since she bought the materials for mine(sweet, huh? lol). I've also been researching, potting up cuttings I've received(12 so far this week) and Hoya seeds from Sue(THANK YOU!!!), and caring for 4 children under the age of 9(not to mention the husband who sometimes ACTS like he is 9 LOL). And I have still found time to come on here and read all these great posts! Oh, almost forgot to mention the rearranging of the Hoyas- I put up a new shelf in the master bath that gets lots of good light, so I've been moving and rearranging all 80 or so plants to put the Hoyas where they will do the best and the rest where they will survive. Sorry, but the Hoyas get that prime real estate!

I do keep most of my plants in the house(which ultimately means a lot more work for me) because I live in an apartment complex with a LOT of latch-key children and unsupervised children, and when I first moved here I had planted a lot outside and had several pots sitting outside in my flower bed, but they were DESTROYED by the neighborhood kids and a couple of adults. I'm not risking it with my Hoya babies! I have a really nasty cactus and a large agave with huge terminal spines out there now. Is that mean? lol I really can't wait to move onto our property, and how sad is it that I put up a greenhouse before a real house? My addiction is showing!!!

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

kidsandcats!... cool name.. and your post is super.. and you sound like super mom... super wife and super hoya mom! OMG... what a busy day you have!... putting up a gh... and.. all the rest!... makes me tired thinking about it all... all that in an apt!...now you deserve an applause!... and you have 80 or so plants!... yes... I vote you #1 hoya person of the day... or the month.. just had to say that...LOL Eileen (I dare anyone to dispute that)

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

Thanks, Eileen! I definitely don't feel like super mom right now! And I'm sure there are MANY on the forum that do a much better job than I at taking care of their Hoya babies- my cats regularly unpot and steal my cuttings if I don't watch out! What mother lets an animal steal her babies??? lol Thank you for the kind words- I definitely needed them today :)

• mairzy_dotes
    12 years ago

Wow...and I thought I was doing good when I put up a long pole for hanging some under an eve of the house. I did it by getting up on a ladder (first major feat for me..ha ha). Then I had to screw 3 large hooks into the 2X4s to hole the long S hooks that would hold the pole. After it was done, I got to hang about 10 more plants up. YEAH!
    However, after reading what all you do on a daily basis...I felt so lazy. Ha ha. What do you EAT to get all that energy??? I must be doing something wrong. When I finished my big pole hanging, I felt like a nap. Ha!

Marcy

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

kidsandcats, I now bestow the title of SUPERMOM on you. You are one busy lady. I don't think I could ever compete with you in a contest. LOL Taking care of 4 children under 9 years of age, I can agree that it's a challenge in itself. I have four children, 2 yrs apart, and one 8 yrs later. Whens they were little, it was a challenge just to take care of them, go shopping, and clean the house. I can't believe you are building your own greenhouse. What a challenge that is. I think just putting one together is a challenge. Take some pictures and post the challenge here so we can see.

• lovingmy4babies
    12 years ago

I'll have to do that this weekend- we are planning to get out and get it finished! Thank goodness I have my lovely husband for the heavy lifting! It's going to be (roughly)20x30, and the ribs are going to be pvc pipes, but the door frames and foundation will be wood. Thank goodness we worked out all the bugs when building my mother's! lol I'll have to put up pictures of that one too- it's 10x27 and the plastic is not on yet, but will be by Saturday.

Yes, the kids are a challenge all their own, but I wouldn't have it any other way! They are 8(girl), 6(girl), 4(boy), and 2(boy), and I'm currently making a trip to 3 separate schools in both the mornings and the afternoons. It IS rather circus like sometimes- it is not at all unusual to see at least one child riding one of the dogs like a rodeo bull, tightrope walking on the back of the couch, or scaling a shelf like a mountain climber(come on, it's no fun being a kid when you can't do those things! lol). BUT- they can be wonderful helpers at times, and they are such a joy to watch as they discover new things every day :) Plus, I think at least one or two of them will inherit my love of plants, especially Hoyas ;)

• eileen44_gardener
    12 years ago

It's a beautiful thing!

• peanut01
    12 years ago

That sounds like a lot of work and some that might of been avoided lol

/cheer

Anyway I was away last week on vacation for my bday on the 23rd then my Anniversary on the 26th(11 years) and missed an earthquake about 20 miles from my home... My hoyas were spared but most were found on the ground when I arrived home. Now a hurricane is upon us and my hoyas seem to be faring okay as long as they don't blow away. I did notice a lot of new growth when I got back. Also a lot of new coloration on Merrilli, DS-70, and Obscura. My trellis that I grow several hoyas((they are down now)thank you North Face) on just broke in half while I was typing this post. I hope all my other plants fare well as well as everyone elses plants.

-David

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

David, Happy Belated Birthday and Anniversary! I hope you fared okay with "Irene".

Nancy

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH