Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

I like big leaves and I cannot lie.

goddess9
11 years ago

I've been buying more and more Hoyas lately, and I'm gravitating towards the bigger leaved plants. I would love some suggestions. The bigger the better. :)

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Denise
    11 years ago

You and me both, kiddo! I can't get enough of the big-leaved species. My all-time favorite (as everyone here knows) is macrophylla. Mine has produced a stem of large leaves that would knock your socks off. I just got a rooted cutting of cardiophylla from a generous e-bud that's going to be VERY close to the top of my favorite list. My meliflua gets some nice large leaves, and cv. Jennifer is another nice one. Rigida comes to mind.

You can't go wrong with the biggies!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

As everyone knows, I love rigidas. But surigaoensis is my other favorite big leafed Hoya.

• dmichael619
    11 years ago

if you're looking for some REALLY big leaves these 2 will surely light your fire!!!!

polystachya IML 1410 and clandestina IML 1590

some others just to name a few would be
    rigida
    latifolia IML 0088
    tajadasmalangensis
    macrophllya
    lambii
    pentaphlebia

I have 3 or 4 different polystachyas and the leaves are all very impressive but the 1410 has the largest of them all. the same goes for clandestina,I have at least 3 clones of it but the 1590 is the largest.

to give you an idea of just how big the polystchya IML 1410 really is, a 3 node cutting would be close to 3 feet long,same goes for the clandestina 1590

polystachya IML 1410,this picture was taken a couple of years ago so the plant is much larger now

david

• lovinmyblooms
    11 years ago

Im a sucker for the larger leaves too. The Hoya cv. Joy has beautiful large leaves, this is probably my favorite large leafed species. I recently bought one from Joni and it is already putting new leaves out :)

">

• scsva
    11 years ago

The big, waxey leaves are my definite favorites. I just received a polystacha from C. Burton but can't remember the IM number right now. I haven't potted it up yet but love the leaves.

Susan

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys! I love this forum because I know I will get quick responses. :)

@Denise
    I am receiving a H. macrophylla variegate and I am SO excited because I hear that it grows faster than a variegated plant usually does.

@GG
    Oooooh! Ahhhhh! I need some of that in my life.

@David
    Oh my god. You are enabling me! What a beautiful plant! I am looking at both you just mentioned and I am definitely putting them on my wishlist.

@LMB
    I love Joni's plants. They take a few days to settle in and then they get to business!

@Susan
    Lucky duck! I am putting that on my list for sure. :)

• goddess9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just got my H. macrophylla and eeeeee!!! So pretty. I'm in love.

• hannnah
    11 years ago

I'm with all you big leaf lovers.
    My current favorite is my h. loyceandrewsiana, which has the thickest and biggest leaves ever, the one pictured is almost the size of my hand, and makes the whole pot lean over when its dry. It's won my heart of late, after a year of nada, it just shot out a vine with a lovely leaf that seems to be doubling in size each day- (I think until now I wasn't giving her the water she needed-oops sorry!) I got mine from grigsbys cactus gardens, in Vista CA. They do mail order tho I had the pleasure of picking mine up as I live not too far away in Los Angeles, it was fun fun fun.

• banannas
    11 years ago

I have been coveting a h. Galbar. It has these great thick heart shaped leaves and pretty flowers. For me it has to have both foliage I love and pretty flowers!

• scsva
    11 years ago

ooooh! Awesome!
    I keep lusting over David's polystacha.

Now I'm going over to Grigsby Gardens and check them out!

Susan

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions