Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moosetrackz

Krimson Queen question

Moosetrackz
12 years ago

When I got my KQ it had a vine of all cream colored leaves but they shriveled up and fell off. Is this normal for the all white leaves?

Ive heard some others say they had the same problem. Maybe more light? The rest of the plant seems very healthy. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My KQ

Comments (5)

• mel_10
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz - My KQ is a purchase from a local grocery store (I believe it is an EA plant but can't remember for certain). It is a pot with easily a dozen rooted plants in it. Several of these plants have all white vines. I leave them alone as at the moment they are not currently hurting my plant any. Every now and then the white leaves will do as yours did, shrivel up and die, but for the most part the vines are growing quite nicely. My KQ is sitting directly infront of an east facing bay window, so it gets plenty of sun. If the plant started to look like it was failing, I would immediately remove the white vines, but until then I enjoy the contrast of the green and the white leaves. Hope this helps some.

Mel

• Moosetrackz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mel.

The plant looks great except for a few white leaves. I was just wondering if I was doing anything wrong or if the white ones just dont do very well because theyre white. I have other variegated plants that do fine but Ive never had any with leave that were completely white.

• peanut01
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz:

You are not doing anything wrong. I think the plant looks the best with both types of leaves. Some folks cut off the white growth thinking it is slowing down their plants(probably is). The white growth usually dies back over time if there is not enough green growth on the plant to support the leaves which do not photosynthesize. I always compare the white growth to albinoism, since the vines are usually more on the reddish side.

-David

• patrick51
    12 years ago

Moosetrackz...given time, those white leaves will turn variegated...the variegation begins in the center of each white leaf...just a small dot of green, eventually the green spreads to cover the entire leaf other than the margins. I've had numerous all-white vines on my KQ's and never had a problem...the vines start out as pink or, sometimes, red, turn white and then variegated. If you over-water your KQ, the newest leaves will show the impact first..i.e., the pink or white leaves. Don't water until you've placed your index finger into the pot, as far as it'll reach..if mosit, don't water, if dry, water it well...and not again until the soil is dry...this hoya doesn't like to remain wet..which will cause new growth to drop off. Water well, then let dry out well...this plant tolerates drought very well. The biggest problem with the carnosa's is over-watering..which may or may not be your problem..but, most carnosa's purchased from nurseries will be far too wet. I hope this helps! Fondly, Patrick

• tammypie
    12 years ago

I have a cluster of creamy white leaves and a spur. I haven't noticed any green in the center (I'll have to take a better look at the leaves). I try not to water her too much but when I do water her I water her thoroughly until the water comes out of the bottom.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets