Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_40

Just a couple of pictures...

lori_40
13 years ago

I thought i would post a picture or two of my set-up and my hoya's.What do you think?

{{gwi:977939}}

{{gwi:977940}}

{{gwi:977941}}

Comments (10)

• geosdee
    13 years ago

Very nice, love the chair

Dee

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

I don't know why I keep buying variegated Hoyas. For some reason, I just don't like them! Your compacta looks so much lovelier than mine.

I love plant stands and have played with the idea of stealing some of my mother's antique ones (since she hates them) but I don't think I'll ever have the space either. Ho hum modern functional it is.

I see you're afraid to let your plants outside to play, too. I've been wondering whether anyone living in an urban situation can advise as to whether or not they suffer much of an increased pest population on plants they put out on lofty city balconies.

• mdahms1979
    13 years ago

Your plants all look very nice, so where are you going to fit the rest of them once you get really hooked? Better start planning now. LOL :)

Mike

• lori_40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, greedyghost i am afraid to leave my plants outside, however i do let them out ounce in awhile during the day. The problem around here are squirrels, they seem to like to dig in plants i leave on the balcony. We have several bird feeders so critters are always hanging around.
    I also like the old plant stands and would like to see a picture of yours sometime, i mean your mom's. I like the ones that give you the most space instead of single plant stands.
    Oh Mike, there are always places to put plants.Ha-Ha

• sberg
    13 years ago

greedyghost---I let all my hoyas out to play on my urban rear deck every summer....they sit under a walnut tree and have a great time; I have literally never brought pests of any kind back inside. The only pests I've ever had have been mealies, and those came from a plant I ordered on e-bay....That being said, like Lori I do have occasional squirrel damage (WHAT do they think they're going to find in those pots?), pots get blown over, and leaves just generally get uglified with falling twigs, storms, wind-blown debris,sunburn, etc. etc. Everybody comes back in in September looking a little wild haired and unkempt, BUT the new growth and general health of the plant is amazing...it's well worth the minor boo-boos to see the improvement in the plant...I don't know about the pest situation in the rest of the country, but at least here in the northeast it doesn't seem to be a problem, and I'd urge anyone who can to let your plants have an outside vacation..

• greedygh0st
    13 years ago

Lori, I'll post pictures for you next time I get a chance to photograph them.

I agree with Mike that space concerns become a problem before you know what hit you, especially for those of us living in apartments. But sometimes a beautiful old plant stand is worth the space it occupies more as a nice piece of furniture than a "useful" plant accessory.

Sberg, thanks for the response. Count me encouraged. Maybe I'll do an end of the summer trial run with some of my more replaceable plants. To me, any balcony looks grim and depressing without plants on it. Haha on the squirrels. Those little gremlins are always burying acorns in my citrus trees.

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    13 years ago

Your plants looks very happy. Great set up!

• susiemoosie
    13 years ago

Your plants look wonderful and healthy. Can you please tell me the name of the plant in the center of picture #2 beside the rose chair and also the plant in picture #3? I have that last one but don't recall the name (if I ever knew it) and I recently repotted it as I had it outside on my bar under shade and it was looking sickly. Now I have it on my porch. Any special requirements so it looks healthy again like yours? Thanks

• wrynsmom
    13 years ago

Isn't that H. DS-70?

• lori_40
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Susie, it is hoya DS-70, and it's been in that same spot for about 6 months since i got it. It gets spotted morning sun but is in a bright area all day. It has yet to bloom but I'm hopeful. The hoya in picture #3 is i believe hoya rope compacta. It hangs in my dining room window and gets the same amount of sunlight as the others. It has not bloomed yet either, however it lately has grown like crazy. Thanks for looking at my pictures, I'd like to see yours, Lori