Return to the Hoya Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My knotted Hydro Kerri's first Blooms

Posted by pirate_girl Zone7 NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:50

Well, it's finally happened: this was the night before, the excitement was building, showed up best in silhouette.

Photobucket

This is especially exciting for me as it's the first Hoya bloom I've ever had from scratch (from a cutting I started 2 yrs. ago).

I've had other people's cuttings bloom for me, sometimes in a cup of water while waiting to root, or in a sealed baggie doing the same; but never from one I've grown myself & this one is hydro at that (by the seat of my pants experiments, little fertilizer too).

Photobucket

Pls. excuse how new I am at taking pix of blooms, lots to learn & these were at dusk since I couldn't contain my excitement 'til the next morning.

Notice how ratty looking these 2 irregular leaves are, then came the peduncles which appeared & then started budding up immediately.

Photobucket

This guy is so heavy, note the clips, twist ties, binder clips & rubber bands, all to keep this thing upright (I hope)

Photobucket

I'm pretty thrilled & it's got 2 more budding penduncles higher up that I could shoot.

Photobucket

I forget for the moment who recently shared her Kerrii's blooming schedule w/ me, but it's right on the money, thanks for that preview & everybody's encouragement!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My knotted Hydro Kerri's first Blooms

Congrats, Karen! Aren't they wonderful? I whacked my biggest kerrii back last year so it hasn't bloomed this year, though an older rooted cutting from it did bloom. I'm getting peduncles on my hairy kerrii and my veined clone, so maybe they'll be booming soon.

Nice thing is that kerrii's flowers last a long time, and quite often, new buds are coming on right behind the current blooms (see the photo). Enjoy them!

Denise in Omaha

o

Hi Denise,

Yes, thanks, I AM pretty delighted. I remember you posting pix w/ these kinds of batches of blooms within blooms like that, I thought they were amazing then. Had forgotten it happened w/ Kerrii.

That is just the most astounding pic, gosh it takes my breath away!! Looks like it could be molecular biology, could be abstract art, w/ the faint structure behind it, it could even be other worldly architecture. All that dripping looking nectar, wow.

I have a a bit of a cold, but tonight I detected a faintly sweet smell when I came home & sniffed the blooms. Nice to know I'll have them to enjoy for a bit.

o

Congratulations on the flowers, Pirate girl. I like the silhouette photo! And it is totally exciting that you've got a flowering plant from a cutting you started yourself! I'm sorry to hear you've got a cold, hopefully it will be gone soon so you can fully enjoy those sweet smelling flowers!

o

Great growing, PG. Those pics are awesome!
Susan

o

congrats!!!! im loving them, so beautiful!!!

o

Congratulations! So cute. :) Well done!

One of these days I'm going to see someone duct-taping their kerrii in place...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hoya Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here