Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Hoya Seeds ????

aveo5
12 years ago

I was just looking over all my hoyas, and to my shock...my 'Carnosa Varigata Rubra'...the plain old cheap plant i bought at Lowes,...has a long thin seed case on it!

How did this happen?

Is this common? What bug pollinates the hoya?. I have never seen a seed case. So i always assumed that it had to be a bat or some kind of rare moth that only lives in Brazil.

No way to get seeds on your own in the USA. Should I leave it on the plant till it ripens? Is it going to pop open on me out of the blue one day, and all the seeds will float away, like dandilion seeds? That is usually what happens to me when a plant has a long hard seed case like this. One day it is there, and the next day it has split in half and 1 fluffy seed is left on it.

How long does it take to ripen? Months,all year? Is it worth the energy the plant is putting out, to leave it on the plant? I certainly dont need any more of the plant.

The only hoyas in bloom at the time were Lacunosa and my big Silver Pink. Could it have been crossed with one of them, or do they not cross? I thought this would be an interesting topic.

I am totally shocked. It is 7in long, and looks like a 'vanilla bean' right now. long and thin. Does it get much longer, or do i watch for a color change in it? Or just cut it off and throw it out.

I cant imagine how long it would take to get a blooming plant from seeds. Is it worth planting unknown seeds and waiting up to a few years, to get blooms to see if i have the next 'wanted' hoya?

Or does someone want the seedcase when it pops open? I have to hope i catch it when it opens. I can just about bet it has the floating type seeds, like a dandilion and I will miss it when it pops open.

But if i catch it...does anyone want the seeds? Or should I just cut it off and forget it. Does this happen to you guys/gals all the time? Or is this a rare event to happen and I have to save the seeds and 'go for it!?'

I have never gotten one before in over 10 years of growing that big 'Silver Pink' with dozens of blooming umbels on it...not a single seed case. So what bug is responsable for this? Should i keep it, or cut it off? How rare of an event is this? So....hows this for a surprise?

Comments (7)

• ladygreensleeves
    12 years ago

Hi Aveo....different insects, moths, butterflies and such can pollinate your hoya's when they are outside. It may be self pollinate with it's own species, or pollinated with one of the other Hoya's that was in bloom at the same time.
    Several of us, myself included like to grow out the seeds to see what kind of hoya it will become.
    To catch the seeds one places a seed sack or most of us use a knee high and slip it over the seed pod and tie it in place with a twist tie. The seeds are only viable for a very short time. The pod will begin to turn brown before it bursts.
    I would be interested in the seeds if you wish to share them, as I enjoy watching them grow and seeing what they become.

Regina

• aveo5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well it has never happened before out of the hundreds and hundreds of 'Silver Pink','Lacunosa', or Tsangii blooms that I have had over 10 years. Especially the Silver Pink, it has had well over several hundred bloom umbels,not a single seed pod. But, if I manage to get a stocking on it and save he seed, I will be happy to send them to you if you want them. I am assuming it is not to old...how long do I have to wait till it ripens? Is it months or weeks or will it take a full season? I had seed pods on 2 Adeniums I wanted to get the seeds from them, i was surprised to see them turn up on them as well, and I didnt know that they would pop and float away...and sure enough they did one day,all gone one morning.
    I didnt know they were like dandelions....so now when I see long pods on plants, I assume they pop open when ripe. The same kind of pods also turned up on 2 of my Stapelias, I watched them ever day, and boom! One morning i go to see them, all gone. I got 2 seeds from them both.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

We had a recent thread on this very topic so I will attach that link. All of the plants you mentioned are in the Apocynaceae or Periwinkle family with the Hoyas and Stapelias being in what is now considered a subfamily Asclepiadaceae or the Milkweed family. Many members of the Apocynaceae family have seeds with the silky floss attached although I believe that all members of the Asclepiadaceae have this trait.

Hoyas are going to be most willing to breed within their own section and you will notice that all of the current hybrids show this characteristic. If you had three plants in bloom including pubicalyx, carnosa and lacanosa you either have a selfing carnosa x carnosa or an out cross carnosa x pubicalyx. Both Hoya carnosa and pubicalyx belong to section Hoya so they are closely related species. I am unaware of the probability of crossing plants from outside of a section although the large difference in size of pollinia between say Hoya pubicalyx and lacanosa would certainly pose problems.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya seeds

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I tip my hat to you, Mike. That was such a nice answer that I enjoyed it very much even though the chances of my ever seeing a seedpod are somewhat less likely than the chances of my experiencing a virgin birth.

Clearly I still haven't gotten around to reading your research on the topic, but I'm glad you posted it again otherwise I was going to. I have it bookmarked at least...!

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

aveo, I'm interested in your seeds too. I don't think I'll ever see a seed pod as my hoya are inside a screen enclosure. The only one who could pollinate them would be ants or anoles, which I have tons of.
    @ Mike--thanks for the seed link. Very interesting reading.

• pirate_girl
    12 years ago

Well Aveo,

Sorry, I don't have any answers for your questions, but I too would be interested in some seed if/when you offer it.

Some years ago, I received Lacunosa seed from Lesli/GA (an early member here). They did just great & were super cute, almost all germinated. Unfortunately, my setup dried out one day & that was the end of them.

If you ever run across a clear plastic egg carton, save it; it made a wonderful little planting bed for those seeds.

• RainforestGuy
    12 years ago

Chances are that the seeds will be infertile. Hoya carnosa will only make viable seed if pollinated outside its bloodline. This means that hoya carnosa DNA 1 must cross with Hoya carnosa (or another closely related species) DNA 2 for fertile seeds to develop. Some mutable cultivars will also make seeds without pollination and sometimes these are just false seeds with no embryos.

I have worked with hoya carnosa for years trying to make a cross with it. It refuses to hold a seed pod and its pollen do not make pollen tubes when tested in sucrose and water. I have concluded that the many cultivars of hoya carnosa are sterile and infertile.

If you do get seeds with embryos, this is amazing and should be documented. It has never been recorded to my knowledge before.