Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmichael619

Awesome August blooms!!!!!

dmichael619
11 years ago

Sorry for the short disappearing act!!! i've been a bit under the weather for the past 2 weeks with a really nasty ear infection that's why i've been MIA !!! I have had ear infections before but not to the extreme that this one was. I was totally deaf in my left ear the entire time,there were 4 days that I could not speak as my voice was gone and a host of other aches and pains to go along with it!!! I'm better now and back in action with my camera!!! I snapped a few flower photos to share with you all.

First up is H. mindorensis. This is the deep red flowering clone of mindorensis but I have it growing in almost total shade and the flowers seem to have lost there color. This is one of my favorite hoya flowers.

This is a second umbel of flowers on the same plant that is just starting to open. Sorry it's slightly off center but this tends to happen while one is standing on a ladder and using both hands to hold and focus a camera as opposed to holding on trying not to fall!!!

H. cv. Noelle

H. aldrichii,another one of my favorites for it's raspberry colored flowers!!!

H. lamingtoniae

H.heuschkeliana pink form

H. sp. Kalimantan, I noticed after uploading this picture to the computer that there appears to be a mealy bug nestled in the center of this cluster of flowers.i'll spry it with alcohol once the flowers dry up. I don't like to spray the unopened buds or newly opened flowers with alcohol as it will make them drop.

H. davidcummingii with some sort of insect (looks like a mosquito but don't think it is)that I also didn't notice being there until I uploaded the photo

Comments (14)

• goddess9
    11 years ago

Very nice!

*pokes my Hoyas to flower*

• scsva
    11 years ago

Sorry to hear you've been sick. Here's hoping you're all better very soon!!!

Missed your posts of your gorgeous hoyas.

I was wondering where everyone is (PG, GG, Denise and everyone else including you, David), No one is posting much) Probably a good thing, tho, since this forum is such an enabler! LOL!!!

Susan

• emt23
    11 years ago

Lovely! Glad to hear you are better.

• suetran1
    11 years ago

Wishing you well, thanks for posting your beautiful hoyas.
    sue

• moonwolf_gw
    11 years ago

Hi David,

Glad you're doing better. Awesome photos as always! :-)
    I just got both heuschkelianas in a trade and I can't wait to smell those buttered popcorn scented flowers! Don't worry about the mindorensis, they still look pretty to me. Reminds me of a full moon in all of it's silvery glow.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• greedygh0st
    11 years ago

Love those mindorensis photos, David! This is my very most rabidly anticipated Hoya bloom.

It took me a while to see the mealie even after you pointed it out - isn't that funny? I swear I can spot them from across the room on my own turf - our eyes must be hyperactivate when looking at our own plants.

• banannas
    11 years ago

David you would be proud of me. All the cuttings you have sent me have lived and few have even bloomed! But not as much as you have! I'm really jealous of your H.heuschkeliana pink form. It's so cute!

• mdahms1979
    11 years ago

David I absolutely love your first two photos, amazing!

The same six or seven Hoyas have been blooming on and off all summer for me so I have all but lost interest in taking photos of them. I did snap a quick photo of my Hoya meliflua because I was surprised to see the blooms still holding on after I came back from a recent canoe trip. The blooms were rapidly approaching the end of their lives but I though they looked pretty neat with all that nectar staining them dark and sticky.

And because I don't have any other Hoya photos to share you all get to see a photo from my trip. If you can imagine this photo was taken around midnight using only the light from an almost full moon and the light from the fire. The location was an island on lake Anamanippising in the Boreal Forest region of Northern Ontario Canada.

Mike

• retsec
    11 years ago

If you have any cuttings of any of these to trade, please let me know. I only have the more common hoyas and would love to have these beautiful ones.
    Nancy
    retsec

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike that's a really neat picture of your H. meliflua. The photo taken from the lake though makes me want to go on vacation!!!!

I went out a little while ago to get some new flower shots but only managed to get a few before it began to rain. We've been getting a lot of that lately!!

First is H. surigaoensis(formerly known as sp. EG 00897)

H. benguentensis--very similar in color to bordenii and soligamiana and I have a feeling also like ilagiarum. I'll know in a day or so as my ilagiarum has an umbel about to pop anytime

H. tsangi IML 1316,this is the first time this tiny flower has bloomed for me and the photo is not very good.

H. davidcumingii blooming a little lighter in color than usual

This is another first time bloomer for me. I got this hoya from Epiphytica nursery in Thailand (EPC 517) sp. Cebu. The flowers are very tiny!!This first photo was taken 2 days ago while the flowers were still fully open.

This photo of the same cluster of flowers was taken today and they're in the process of closing.

• Aggie2
    11 years ago

Mike, your lake photo makes me miss north more than usually. Maybe this fall I will go to Poland and take time to see real forest, and huge pine trees!
    David, I love abundance of blooms in your collection and all pictures, this time favorite H. benguentensis! It looks candy like!

Aggie

• emt23
    11 years ago

Lovely David! You have a skills you should be proud of! ~ Mary

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is a first timer that i've been dying to see in bloom and finally today it happened!!! I probably took a dozen pictures of this flower but can't seem to get one that shows it's true color. With no flash it was just kind drab and with the flash it has that silvery reflection on it, Maybe tomorrow if the flowers are still open i'll move into some brighter light,but out of full sun and see if I can get a better shot of it.

This is H. ilagiarum

Notice that the peduncle has a little root forming on it. I have another hoya that has a peduncle on it that has formed a full set of roots.

• dmichael619
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's a few more flower shots taken just a little while ago. First is hoya incrassata in the process if opening

H. lobbii (orange)

H. sp. Haraku

H. carnosa Chelsea

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor