Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Acanthostemma Section Hoyas

mdahms1979
12 years ago

I thought I would start a post about the Acanthostemma section Hoyas seeing as we have been talking about them lately. If anyone wants to know more about this section of the genus Stemma Journal Vol 2 #3 has a breakdown of the section and species.

The Name Acanthostemma can be broken down into the words Acantho which in this case means thorny and stemma which means crown. The term Acanthostemma refers to the corona.

The species in this section all have revolute flowers which differ from the flat flowers in species like Hoya carnosa or the reflexed (bent back) flowers of plants like Hoya parasitica or pottsii. Revolute flowers reflex and then continue to fold further back until the points on the corolla curl completely back giving the flowers a round or ball shape. Many of these species have flowers that smell like sweet butter or caramel etc.

This is a list of the Acanthostemma section species published in Stemma Journal.

Hoya rumphii is the type species of the section

Hoya bilobata

Hoya brevialata

Hoya burtoniae

Hoya davidcummingii

Hoya benitotanii (syn. gigantangensis)

Hoya halophila

Hoya heuschkeliana

Hoya incurvula

Hoya inconspicua

Hoya kentiana

Hoya kloppenburghii

Hoya leytensis

Hoya litoralis

Hoya loherii

Hoya lucyae

Hoya memoria

Hoya micrantha

Hoya myrmecopa

Hoya pallilimba

Hoya panchoi

Hoya parviflora

Hoya parvifolia

Hoya puber

Hoya sigillatis

Hoya sp DS-128

Hoya sp DS-70

Hoya sp 93039 Rundum

Hoya tsangii

Hoya wayettii

There are many species that have not been identified yet as well as some newly published species. Some others that belong to this group are.

Hoya plicata

Hoya acicularis

Hoya lucaredenasiana

Hoya andalensis

Hoya anncajanoae

Hoya picta

Hoya angustifolia

Hoya sp Haruku

Hoya sp Molukken

Hoya sp 7-35

Hoya revoluta

Hoya pubifera

Hoya kuhlii

Hoya bichnellii (not sure about this species)?

Plus various other unidentified species

So far I have 28 Acanthostemma section species and am always on the lookout for more. GG to answer your question I think my favorite it Hoya sp 7-35 although my plant has been quite slow to grow. I also love the look of Hoya tsangii's lance shaped leaves. Of all the plants I have only three have flowered and it seems like many need to be quite big before they will flower for the first time.

Please feel free to post photos of your Acanthostemma section species in this post. Photos of flowers and leaves would be nice. I will try to update and post my photos when I have some time.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya sp 7-35 photo from Flickr

Comments (5)

• ima_digger
    12 years ago

Great information, Mike. Thanks for posting it. Also pictures are awesome. Love the collages.

• greedygh0st
    12 years ago

I haven't photographed all of my Acanthostemma section Hoyas (maybe half?) and most of mine haven't bloomed, so I can't help you there. However, I decided I'd post the pictures I had on hand to give everyone a feel for the section. Thanks to everyone who contributed plants of this group to me. ^_^ You know who you are. Hoya loherii (IML 0987)

Hoya picta

Hoya revoluta

Hoya bicknellii

Hoya lucardenasiana

Hoya heuschkeliana (yellow)

Hoya heuschkeliana (pink)

Hoya sigillatis

Hoya DS-70

Hoya memoria

Hoya sp. Haraku

Hoya bilobata

Hoya palillimba

Hoya tsangii

Hoya micrantha

Hoya pubera

Hoya litoralis

Hoya davidcummingii

Mike, that sp. 7-35 is just breathtaking. How are you hiding all these beauties away? Be honest, you're afraid if you show us pictures of all your best Hoyas, we'll form a pitchfork wielding mob and storm Canada.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

GG, your loherii looks pretty darn happy! DS-70 looks really nice on a trellis, I may have to try that. Wow, litoralis is so soothingly pretty.

But... must get lucardenasiana and tsangii... want! Ok, I can't say 'want now' because I really don't want to have to move it. Or find a place to put it right now. But... want! Maybe next year.

Ack. I kinda just want to storm Canada, sans pitchfork. For vacation. Really want to go to Muncho Lake, BC right now. Or check out the eastern part of Canada, which I haven't seen at all. I've only been from Winnipeg and westward. Feels weird to say I haven't even been to Ontario.

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ima-digger I love Sylvinebr's photostream on Flickr. My plant is still far too small to bloom so all I have is a few leaf photos.

GG nice plants. I have so many plants that I have never photographed and I tend to only take photos of blooming plants so Hoya wise I have many more unbloomed plants in my collection. My mounted Hoya loherii has four or five peduncles budding up at the moment so as long as they don't blast I should be able to add some new photos.
    Wondering what one would use to fend off a mob of pitchfork wielding Hoya thieves? Maybe a few sacrificial cuttings and an electrified perimeter fence? How about a nice cup of herbal tea? LOL

Here are my older photos.

Probably Hoya pallilimba

Hoya heuschkeliana yellow

Hoya heuschkeliana and Hoya DS-70 comparison

Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 7729

Hoya tsangii

Backside of Hoya micrantha leaf

Hoya picta

Quinn Hoya lucardenasiana is such a great Hoya and tsangii is so delicate. I would highly recommend both but you might have to look for tsangii under the name odetteae. If you want to see the east coast of Canada I would recommend Nova Scotia and the Bay of Fundy and it's incredible tidal bore rivers. Last year I visited Truo and the site in the video but I took mostly still photos. The Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island would be a fantastic trip as well.

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Tidal Bore Nova Scotia

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Huh. I meant to say odetteae but I guess my brain got hijacked by seeing tsangii. I try to say odetteae because it seems like that almost always refers to that lovely delicate looking plant, whereas tsangii gets confused with DS-70. In fact, my DS-70 came to me as tsangii.

Gotta check out that video sometime soon. Not just yet, but thanks for the link (my computer doesn't always like videos. Or rather, my internet connection.)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms